NorthernMonkey

Saab topless turbo roffle...£10 a go...winner takes all!!!

I know there's a few going on at the minute but would there be any interest in a roffle for the ex-cavcraft ex-pillock ex-someone else from here I think but can't remember who Saab 9-3 Turbo floppytop?

I bought it from Pillock about a year ago for the F-I-L for the princely sum of £600.

Since then, it's had a fair bit of welding done for the test, the sump dropped and cleaned, new Apec discs and pads all round and one of those steering brace things fitted.

It could do with a couple of tires on the front (if I can dig a couple of part worns out of the pile in the corner, I'll put them on) and also the private plate has been raped for his new Peugeot as he's grown attached to it so as of this morning it's back on a 51 plate. Other than that, it's not a bad old thing at all...

If there's no love here for it, I'll give it a damned good valet and stick it online when the sun comes out but I'd rather it lived on in the community if anyone wants to take it on.

Price is £600 or £10 a ticket.....don't all shout at once!

I'll take a couple of pics when I get back from Scenic collection duties in SVM land this weekend but there's already a few pics of it floating around sonewhere from last time (It's the grey/silvery one).... :-)

That's the badger!! Cheers for that Jazoli....it's pretty much the same other than the reg which is now CN51JXD (or at least it will be once I make a set up in the morning...).

If anyone's interested in an outright purchase, shout up...in the meantime, I'll set up a list of potential victi...err, lucky new owners.

1. Bavarian Retro

4. robinmasters

8. Fat_Pirate

13. Breadvan72

19. robinmasters

23. WilsonWilson

27. 95 quid peugeot

28. gadgetgricey

34. barmatt

38. 95 quid peugeot

42. Breadvan72

43. DeeVee8

44. Fat_Pirate

45. stephen01

56. Disco Fever

57. The Moog

58. The Moog

59. Bavarian Retro

Now updated....roll up, roll up, numbers going quick, soon be summer etc etc....who the hell am I kidding? Just had to scrape an inch of frost of the thing so I can move it away from the garage door. God knows why you mad bastards want to win a convertible in January. This place....

Ahh yes. Good questions well asked, m'learned friend.

MOT is around the back end of May I believe, just in time to piss all over your bonfire when the sun comes out. It had a damned good fettling for the last one including all new pads and discs which were an advisory the previous year and a bit of sparkly stick action where the damp had got in and melted the floor through the previous leaky roof. Did I mention I'm led to believe it had a new roof in the past few years? No, thought not....

Seriously though, I can't see it needing much if anything. The handbrake is shit (not shite. shit) but I'll have a poke around at that before it goes anywhere. Otherwise, it's not unpleasant to look at...

Guest Breadvan72

Thanks for that.  Where is this archetype of automotive awesome located?

EDIT:   Doh, Burnley ish.  My missus' last heap came from near there.  If I won this, I would give it to Mrs BV.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BeEP
      I’ve been meaning to start a thread about my cars since I started posting on here, but never quite got round to it. Until now.  Although a number have appeared in odd posts across other threads I’ll try to collate updates, comings and goings in here from now on.  Even if no-one else is interested it will serve as a record of what I’ve been wasting my time on.

My cars, with one exception, fall into two camps.  There are five BL/Rover products, all of which come March I will have owned for 10 years or more.  In order of acquisition:

1964 Austin 1100.  Bought in 2005 for £950, which remains the most I’ve spent on a car!  Fitted with MG1100 engine and uprated cam,  Continuously MOT’d and in light use during my ownership.

1972 Austin 1800 automatic, bought in 2006.  A Bristol car all its life (I lived there from 96-09), it was originally Wild Moss but resprayed (I believe by the original dealer) Mallard green, as it was seriously old stock at the time.  Had hand controls from new as the first owner was paralysed, it retains all the under-bonnet gubbins for this, with the battery moved to the boot.  Off road since 2010 awaiting an engine rebuild.

1973 Austin 1100 2 door deluxe (just like SiC’s).  Rescued in 2006 from long term storage in a hanger at Bristol airport.  Limeflower with matching interior.  My everyday car from 2007 to 2010, and at various times since.  Needs bodywork, and the suspension celebrated obtaining its last MOT in 2017 by popping a pipe over the rear subframe a day later!

1990 Maestro diesel van.  Ex South Western Electricity Board (hence the orange colour).  Bought in 2009 to help with move from Bristol to Norfolk, it was my main transport for most of the time from 2010-16, when it finally produced a MOT failure list which needed proper attention.  New sills, wheelarches and floor sections later it’s now solid underneath, and waiting for similar attention on top.  MOTd but rarely used.

1975 Austin Allegro 1300 estate (series 1).  Bought in March 2009 from its sole previous owner and used until the MOT ran out that August.  Slumbered until 2015 when much bodywork was done and has been back on the road since early 2016, averaging  a couple of thousand miles per year.

Now for the past few years I’ve rotated my everyday car fairly frequently (by which I mean every couple of months or so); however last April I stumbled across my 1996 Punto 55SX.  It’s got under my skin and is going nowhere, although it might have the odd month off whilst I try something else

So that’s my basic fleet, but since deciding that 20 years working in the defence industry, with 4 hours per day commuting for the last seven of those was quite enough I’ve bought and sold the odd car to make a bit of money.  My criteria are that they must be something which interests me, or cheap and local!  Some have been seen or even sold on here (V70 T5 last year for example) but at the end of 2018 my sales stock was precisely zero.  Something had to be done.  Last Wednesday this arrived (as seen in News24 thread):

1997 Punto 60S.  Needs a wheel cylinder for MOT but really needs the clutch release bearing replacing (and possibly the operating arm) before it’s sellable.  A friend has offered to help with this as I’ve never split an end-on gearbox before (I refer you to my collection of gearbox in sump cars above, which I am quite happy to take apart).

Then on Friday this appeared:

Vovlo 850 2.5 20v automatic in top of the range CD spec.  Cheap as the electric front seat was supposed not to work (the movement part, not the heater).  As the battery was flat on arrival I charged that before playing with it, and the seat works perfectly! There was a problem as someone's had the switch pack off before, so maybe disconnecting the battery resets the memory box through which it all works.  I'm sure one of our more learned Volvo brethren will be along shortly with an explanation.   Once I’d cleaned copious amounts of seagull poo off it I found a very nice car with an incredibly sweet sounding engine.  MOTd to November, I’d planned to have a bit of fun with this but a family member’s phase 2 V70 died spectacularly last week so she will be taking ownership next Monday

And to bring us up to date this morning I brought this home:

Very local and very cheap, owned by a 95 year old lady who gave up driving last year.  It’s a 1.2 SXi semi-auto thing; I can’t see it needing much for a MOT which will occur the week after next.  Just need to find a battery that will fit in the stupid under-scuttle location as I’m not buying a new one before the MOT result is known!

Have a final pic of the three shades of blue together

Apologies for such a lengthy post; I will try to update as cars come, go or are put up for sale, and if I get time I’ll add photos of some of the many BL vehicles I’ve owned (although being a luddite means I don’t have digital photos of the majority).
    • By NorthernMonkey
      I’m not sure if there’d be much interest in a roffle for a topless mills o’matic swede at this time of year but before I stick it down at the barn for winter, I thought I’d mention it on here...
      Its a 2006 9-3 1.8t with just under 90k miles and a good service history. It has been Mrs NMs summer chariot of choice but has now been stood down by a Berlingo diesel...the backup plan is to park it up over winter before prepping it up for sale in the spring where it would get advertised for its market value but due to the impending arrival of another toy, if someone on here wants to win it for the frankly ludicrous sum of £12.00, then step right up!!
      Good bits...
      All electrics, roof etc in good order, decent tires all round, plenty of MOT, working air con, polishes up nicely, will come with new discs and pads on the front.
      Not so good bits...
      Silly tax bracket so £48 a month to tax, occasional lambda fault which pops on EML....will reset and stay off for a month or two, slight bit of pogweasleing on the n/s front bumper where it’s had a smart repair in the past.
      Only got a few pictures to hand at the minute but if there’s any interest, I’ll stick some more up in the next day or so.
      Roffle tickets as it is are £12 each or two for £20 and the car is located near Burnley, Lancashire.
      Form an orderly queue.... 🙂

• By bangernomics
      Roffle is go.  
      1 for £16 or 2 for £30.
      4 SamR380
      7 Jollyfkr2
      12 AstonMartin
      15 Primeradoner
      18 Doug
      22 Loserone
      25 Mitsisigma01
      26 BlackBoilerSuit
      28 Barefoot
      30 DozeyDustman
      33 Doug (Aston Martin)
      37 DaveQ
      38 Norbert
      42 Doug (AstonMartin)
      43 Jollyfkr2
      46 Aston Martin
      47 Loserone
      48 Primeradoner
      51 BlackBoilerSuit
      55 StrangeAngel

Choice of top boxes either the white old one or the massive modern one for Uber eats work.

• By dozeydustman
      Just about an hour ago I went to start my car up, had Mrs Dustman with me, to go and pick Miss Dustman up from work. Turned over fine but took a while to fire up.

Steering felt heavy. Thought maybe as it's currently -5 + wind chill it's just cold & the fluid is thick.

Started reversing out my bay then I was greeted with:
      "DING DONG" - ABS fault.
      "DING DONG" - ESP fault
      "DING DONG" - headlamp auto levelling not working, contact service.

I shut the car down straight away and we went in Mrs D's Corolla.

Alternator is less than 2 months old, it's a recon unit from Alternator Man in Portsmouth. Hoping the cold isn't killing the battery and it's taking the 'nator out with it (battery passed the drop test last time the no-charge warning came up). Looks like a session with the multimeter after work tomorrow.....

MEH.
    • By TheDoctor
      Going to roffle for a fiver a ticket, two for £8, 3 for £11
      In good working order apart from the head gasket. 
      Put the ventilated header tank cap on, take it easy and bring spare water and you will be able to drive it home. 

It doesn't overheat, just pressure in the cooling system. Cylinder compression is good. 
      MOT April 2020