Continous insurance for all motor vehicles including SORNd ones

DodgeRover

Guest Breadvan72

It's a bit of a scare story.  No one is keen for this to happen.  The Eurocourt produced an unexpected interpretation of the Motor Insurance Directive.  The EU Commission suggests amending the Directive to cancel out the judgment.  The UK Gov is not keen on extending insurance requirements - see the consultation document linked to below:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/581193/motor-insurance-vnuk-v-triglav.pdf

The government tells me I have to insure my cars.

Good.

But the insurance business is in the hands of private corporations.

What was the melting of state and corporations called again?

Yep, fascism.

Where the fuck is the publicly owned insurance company?

Your last point is something I've long thought to be a good idea from the time I was told by a Kiwi chap I used to work with about how they (& I think Australia) do it in NZ. IIRC you pay vehicle registration ('Reggo') once a year, this encompasses registering the car/bike/whatever in your name confirming ownership, paying your road tax and importantly, paying for a very basic (as in third party only) insurance from the state.

It is all you need (along with their version of an MoT - a warrant of Fitness I think thy call it). If you want better more comprehensive cover then you can buy it in the same way we do from private companies if you so desire but that bit isn't compulsary and depends on the value of the vehicle/how you value it/your finances etc. I suspect this would help reducing the large number (about 1 million?) who don't have insurance at all on the roads which costs all of us ultimately. 

The government tells me I have to insure my cars.

Good.

But the insurance business is in the hands of private corporations.

What was the melting of state and corporations called again?

Yep, fascism.

Where the fuck is the publicly owned insurance company?

Same place the publicly owned everything-else-that-should-be is,  I expect. 

Your last point is something I've long thought to be a good idea from the time I was told by a Kiwi chap I used to work with about how they (& I think Australia) do it in NZ. IIRC you pay vehicle registration ('Reggo') once a year, this encompasses registering the car/bike/whatever in your name confirming ownership, paying your road tax and importantly, paying for a very basic (as in third party only) insurance from the state.

It is all you need (along with their version of an MoT - a warrant of Fitness I think thy call it). If you want better more comprehensive cover then you can buy it in the same way we do from private companies if you so desire but that bit isn't compulsary and depends on the value of the vehicle/how you value it/your finances etc. I suspect this would help reducing the large number (about 1 million?) who don't have insurance at all on the roads which costs all of us ultimately. 

In NZ I believe this works with their accident insurance scheme too so medical treatment and time off work is taken care of - it seems an altogether better thought out system, like almost everything in NZ.

All well and fine, if reason wasn't without a single exception thrown out of the window once corporations start lobbying and politicians start getting lobbied.

I do not believe a word those fascists tell me. Not one. Never. Not one. Nemo. Nada. Nix. Zilch. Rien. Not one word.

They say a thousand times no one is keen for this to happen and the UK Gov says a million times it's not keen on extending insurance requirements,

and the next thing is it's happening and the insurance requirements are extended.

The mere fact they are saying they won't do it is proof enough for me that it's inevitably coming without the trace of a doubt.