XJ6 4.0 Sovereign - any update since I sold it?

Cheezey

MoT pencilled in for 2pm on the 16th.

Starting to think the gearbox issue is something to do with a speed sensor. I've noticed a couple of times if I'm off the throttle but heading down hill and gaining speed it'll change up i.e. it is changing up depending on speed not revs or oil pressure. My theory may be a load of pish though.

MoT success! Even the advisories are nothing dramatic.

Time to sell/swap I think. I've had my fun and now is the time to pass it on when someone can get a full year out of it. The photos were taken at the weekend with the purpose of a for sale ad in mind.

A neighbour I've never really spoken too before stopped for a blether and then appeared and gave me a Hayne for it.

post-3610-0-53686700-1502807542_thumb.png

post-3610-0-19976700-1502807577_thumb.jpg

post-3610-0-11724100-1502807602_thumb.jpg

post-3610-0-85924200-1502807629_thumb.jpg

post-3610-0-61108600-1502807664_thumb.jpg

I have always wanted a Jaguar since I was a little boy. Iwas always put off buying one because of the fear, no, the terror of huge, huge bills. I even wrote Jaguar as one of my entries on the date, marry, avoid or something thread on here. But since then, the folk on here have soothed my fevered brow and 13 months ago I bought an X308 which has turned out to be the finest car I have ever owned.

Someone out there is where I was a couple of years ago.

I urge you to lose your fear and join me in Jaguar ownership.

Get a Jag was on my hit list as well. Kept this for longer than intended because I was enjoying it.

Never got to the bottom of the gearbox problem. It is a bit better and is ok for cruising about.

It's now on gumtree and autotrader. Within ten mins of gumtree I had two phone calls to see if it was still available. They are going to call back.

Folk asking insurance groups, number of owners etc. It's an old cheap Jag!

Did you ever check the electronic plug which links the transmission to the electronic Transmission control module in the car?

These Jags use the ZF4HP24 transmission, which is a strong, reliable and robust unit. Corrosion on this plug is a bit of a weak spot however. It is far from uncommon and can throw up all sorts of strange behaviour in the transmission. If you remove the plug and clean the contacts, you may find the transmission will work properly.

The location of the plug is shown in the photo in this post - the car is being viewed from the left hand side. The plug is the round thing below the two other cables and immediately above the sump. This is an XJ40, but the X300 will be very similar. I'm sure the Haynes manual will detail how to do this too.

https://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?t=6659

IMG_7040.jpg

Just nipped out for a look and a crawl underneath.

Found the plug. It's pretty tight. Not sure I'm brave enough to try taking it out and getting it back in again.

I'll see how I get on selling it. If the gearbox is holding back selling I'll try and get it on a ramp to get at it properly.

post-3610-0-20374100-1502911421_thumb.jpg

I haven't ever done this either - my car was the same as Hooli's in that it had the ZF4HP22 with a transmission cable. Do you think it might be held on with a collar which unscrews? If you do decide to tackle it, Haynes may say if it unscrews or pulls out. I have the Haynes, but have no idea what I've done with it!

Good luck with the sale, either way.

If my bloody ex wasn't being impossible about taking me off the mortgage I'd already be in my own place & all over this like a tramp on hot chips.

How annoying is it selling a car these days?!

Scammers and people wanting rust free, full service history, low owner interesting car for a few hundred quid.

The oddest was a call there from someone claiming I'd been in an accident in the car. They were adamant they'd got my details from the road traffic accident bureau and not the adverts I'd posted last night. Interestingly he knew my address. Slightly unnerving.

Cheezey, strange that you should mention a phone call re an accident. Put My car on Gumtree Sunday morning and got a call Wednesday from a supposed law firm asking about my recent accident. Was an Indian accent on the phone.  Yes, plenty of scammers around and dicks wanting the moon on a stick for a few hundred

Did a fluid change on my auto Mondeo gearbox. It would not pull away  in 2nd but after 250 miles, it went back to normal. May be the Jag gearbox problem is gummed up valves from old fluid?

I've just put cars on to Ebay I wanted to sell fast and let the market decide. The hassle free sales have all gone into the trade either as intending to sell on, store, do up and retail or for parts - but at least the went on to someone. Problems have come with private buyers not liking what they bid on or in one case waiting for the tax to expire on a non MoT vehicle hoping to then intimidate me into parting with quickly. Advice get a pay as you go mobile and switch off any location service in the ad.

Strange that you mention the discomfort of standing in the street with strangers who appear from Gumtree or Ebay adverts as I had this with an old Rover I was selling for a few hundred quid, they got really quite threatening and argumentative about it. Basically the car was as described but they expected better and felt I had wasted their time and money travelling to see it, therefore I should pretty much give it away to them. No phone call prior to ask for more information or photos and so I stood my ground despite being twice their age and disabled. Once they realised I was not going to back down they left with mumbeld insults and the next guy to turn up was delighted with the car. It did make me think twice about whether it is worth the hassle of selling a cheap car on or just scrapping the thing. People buy a cheap car with some MOT to either run into the ground or ideally as a projset to do up over time, yet some expect to get basically a new car for the cost of a months payments on a basic Beemer Onsie.

I once sold through a local advert a nice old Rover ( regretted it almost immediately as it was a 3 door R8 Sprint ) to someone who turned up in the dark ( I live in a rural location without street lighting ) so I suggested they come back in the morning - NO! Well I got out an inspection torch for them and got it running, even offered a test drive which they declined and off they went with an MOT'd car for around £200. A week later they come back to tell me the HG had failed and I had sold them a bad car ( nothing to do with the way they drove it like they stole it ), so they wanted their money back. Tales were told about how their kids would now go without Xmas presents but I pointed out it was fine when I sold it to them and there was no guarantee. After that we had weeks of dodgy phone calls.

I really hope that none of this is likely to be your experience and that Jag in that colour should sell with ease. Too far away for me and I already have an XJ8, but I am still tempted myself - good luck with the sale.

Had a bloke definitely definitely coming today to buy it. Coming from pontefract. Randomly changed his mind.

Had a chap texting at half four this morning humming and hoing about coming as he lives an hour or so away. We've all travelled to see a car and been disappointed but surely taking a couple of hours out is worth a punt.

I've lost count of the number of messages I've had about it. Loads of interest but nobody has came out yet.

Hopefully the timewasters are all just messaging rather than coming out.