XJ6 4.0 Sovereign - any update since I sold it?

Cheezey

Just got this very quick response:

Hi - glad to hear the Jag has found a new home. I had her about 8 years and my wife and I had many enjoyable trips round Deeside,the north of Scotland,Oban etc. servicing amounted to oil change, new battery,new alternator,tyres etc. last trip I wondered if the gear was stuck in sports mod. Was the switch faulty I wonder. However now 84 and recent broken leg it was time to pass on to someone else. Trust the problem is easy fixed and you enjoy many miles in the old lady. Andy

X300 & XJ40 are very similar under the skin, those manuals would probably be of use.

I had a '93 XJ40 & some of the interior trim had original Jag labels saying X300 on.

Later in the xj40 production run, they essentially started using x300 parts.

I had a jag 4.0 sov on a k plate, battery in the boot. That was x300 suspension/subframe.

The current K plate Daimler I have has the battery under the bonnet, meaning its an earlier xj40 car.

I suspect the Daimler branded xj40s didn't sell as well as the Jaag, so my have sat about prior to being registered?

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see the gearbox man today. ASK transmissions.

I couldn't find him as he has moved. As soon as he saw me he thought I was going to saying droning diff.

He was very nice and we had a good blether but he doesn't do automatics and his new unit doesn't have a ramp.

He had the same thoughts as me in that a service might make all the difference.

He suggested trying to speak to the Jaguar man in Hallglen. If you drive through the low road in Hallglen the parking area in one of the streets is always full of old Jags. Apparently he has a unit in Bo'ness. I'll need to do some asking about. The gearbox man couldn't mind his name though. Am I gallous enough to drive up the street and chap some doors?

I've asked a friend those parents live a couple streets away if her Dad knows him.

Otherwise I continue to enjoy using it to nip to the shops and stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Still haven't managed to get hold of the chap in Hallglen. I messaged the Scottish Jaguar drivers club using my wife's Facebook login and got the number of the chap that runs it. Spoke to him on the phone and he has volunteered to come out and have a look. He reckons it might just be a wire pulled out of a sensor having been caught on a speed bump.

It needs fixed as driving at higher revs all the time in a four litre is resulting in incredible fuel consumption.

Nice bloke from the Jaguar club came out and we found a broken wire on a connector on the gearbox. Apparently you can buy the connector but I'm struggling to find it online and it looks a bit of a pig to get into it properly without being on a lift.

I'll pop in and see a garage I know and might just get them to join the existing wire back together.

Hopefully that will give me some nice smooth gear changes at lower revs.

Dropped it off this afternoon at a local friendly garage. This was to get the loose broken wire that me and Jaguar club man saw the two ends of under the car hanging down joined back together.

Went back after work to collect. The wire was just a random bit of domestic wire that must have been driven over and tangled up in the car at some point. Very random.

Back to the drawing board.

I'm still wanting to get hold of the Jaguar bloke in Hallglen/Bo'ness. None of my feelers have turned anything up yet though.

Thanks for the advice. My wife was just asking me what I wanted for my birthday, I said filter and oil for the gearbox!

MRustbucket, where is that terminal? Easily accessible? Guessing not.

PS Read through your thread the other day. Your XJ40 looks lovely. Great colour and story.

Even if you says it's a bit rough around the edges, that's still a glorious looking X300. That colour works surprisingly well even though it's so 1990s. Hopefully an ATF flush and or new filter sorts the gearbox out. How's the fuel economy with the 4.0? I'm told it's actually more frugal than the 3.2 on a run.

• 1 month later...

It's supposed to be going tomorrow for a gearbox service but it isn't holding a charge.

Tempted to get shot of it. Bit of a shame as it's a niceish car really.

I need to phone the Jag man doing it to discuss his thoughts on why is not holding a charge.

• 1 month later...

I've now got this back from the local Jag man.

A new alternator seems to have sorted the battery draining issue. I got lucky as one the Jag man's breakers had a nearly new alternator on it.

The gearbox is no better. I'm just going to use it locally and enjoy it until MoT time in August.

When I was pottering about on Sunday an old boy stopped at the end of my drive to compliment the car and have a blether. Later on in the day I came out of B&Q to find the owner of a nice Truimph Dolomite having a nosey. A blether and compliments again.

A picture of it parked at work today. Not a filter just an ancient phone.

post-3610-0-73576000-1496769411_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nearly MoT time. 17th of August is judgement day. After that it will likely be up for sale. The gearbox seems a bit happier but not perfect.

I've taken the plate off it to keep. I always said however random or rubbish it was if I ever bought a car with a private plate I'd keep it. Poor justification is J for John as well.

Taking the plate off today also led to this conversation with my Mother. Also some pics the day after I gave it a bit of a scrub a few weeks ago.

I've also been fixing the sill on my MX5 in readiness for it being used again. Jump started it off the Jag for the first time in ages and it's running on three cylinders. When my old one done that a fiddle with the wires on the coil pack usually fixed it but it didn't work here and this one has a different cool pack to my last one. I'll need to have a look into that some more.

post-3610-0-15287500-1501966341_thumb.jpg

post-3610-0-87456500-1501966358_thumb.jpg

post-3610-0-19530200-1501966385_thumb.jpg

post-3610-0-19340200-1501966401_thumb.jpg

post-3610-0-41667600-1501966422_thumb.png