Scrapyard spots thread. Got any to share?

Mr A Lawrence

The irony is it would probably cost more to fuck about building one than it would to buy a slightly ropey Audi TT

No irony really. When they first appeared, TT's were nearly new, worth £solid dollar, and a Banham was a cheap alternative to the real thing. Shite though, obviously.

this has to be the most depressing thread ive ever seen,theres so much here that i see as having potential,i bet the majority could of been saved with the right skills,gets me down looking at some of them.

I mean, sometimes I'm trying to build some Lego, or maybe painting a wall, and it goes a bit wrong so I have a bit of a "FFS" moment and strop around.

The guy building the Banham must be MUCH stroppier than me if he scrapped the fucker. I mean it looks like it was actually going OK, stuff was in the right place. "Damnit, I can't get the headlights to line up properly. Sod this, I'm calling CarTakeBack"

Still don't know what was going off with the roof.

this has to be the most depressing thread ive ever seen,theres so much here that i see as having potential,i bet the majority could of been saved with the right skills,gets me down looking at some of them.

Bear in mind some of the pictures are quite old - also Kirby's was very good about older/rarer cars, always trying to sell them first, and if they did get scrapped they stayed for years until just the bare shell was left. If only all yards were like that.

Here's the floor in the blue Riley 1300 from earlier. Literally the floor of the yard.

P2280007.jpg

You never know, the Banham builder may have pegged it. I've seen a few part finished projects end up in breakers or get weighed in after the owner died and the family wanted it out the way.

You never know, the Banham builder may have pegged it. I've seen a few part finished projects end up in breakers or get weighed in after the owner died and the family wanted it out the way.

I thought the same thing. I think that may have been the case with this very tidy 180B estate that was in Medler's back 20+ years ago, and the chap who ran the yard told us that people had insisted cars could not be sold-off complete.

3834138515_34233d83d1_o.jpg

1978 Datsun 180B Estate (810) Medlers c.1996/97 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

3834138819_cbcf09837e_o.jpg

1978 Datsun 180B Estate (810) Medlers c.1996/97 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I really need to re-scan these old photos. There were some absolute gems in this place beyond those I was concentrating on at the time.

• 2 years later...

A few more of interest form Michael Douglas Auto Salvage in Carlisle

46836526945_01436fd757_b.jpg1968 Daimler V8 250 & 1965 Daimler by Matt S, on Flickr

FSO Polonez Atu...

40786475193_a15337d54c_b.jpgFSO Polonez Atu by Matt S, on Flickr

A... Golliwog?

46641079685_c2c86d4056_b.jpgGolliwog? by Matt S, on Flickr

9000 Turbo

47503753612_e216f71353_b.jpg1986 Saab 9000 Turbo 16 5D M by Matt S, on Flickr

• 2 years later...
On 1/10/2017 at 8:43 PM, phil_lihp said:

I found this sad looking SD1 2400 diesel in a scrapyard about 5 years ago - last time I got in to it around about 2003 the yard was a proper old-school wooded area, well overgrown, half-abandoned and crammed with chod stacked 3 or 4 high.  A lot of the piles had collapsed as the ones at the bottom dissolved, I remember seeing a lot of very scarce, obscure old 70s tat in there, all long past redemption.

post-5492-0-67445700-1484080874_thumb.jpg

post-5492-0-42387000-1484080875_thumb.jpg

post-5492-0-08971900-1484080876_thumb.jpg

The site was cleared several years ago for a housing development, I went and had a look before the building started and everything was gone bar this one car off to one side.  I asked on a Rover forum at the time asking if anyone wanted parts, if there was then I was planning to ask if the developer was OK with me taking bits off it - the wheels, bumpers and some trim looked saveable - but no-one was interested and the general consensus was, at the time, that the SD1 diesel was rare for a good reason!  This one got scrapped in 1996, so it survived for a while but was long past saving.

Quite unbelievably, from what I can gather, this car is still there.  The woods the scrapyard was in are very much still there around the new houses but they're private so I can't easily see how to find where the car is.  There's definitely still some ancient plant equipment just about visible from one small break in the trees and I have seen a passing mention of this car in a fairly recent community group post.  More investigation required.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:41 PM, DavidB said:

Peugeot 106 “Si”, same condition as the 205, that had just been driven in. Yard owner said the fella insisted it was scrapped.1E5AB458-1CAA-40EF-8DB0-5D08A7290242.jpeg

Those wee 106 ski have a 106 rallye front bumper and vents! Someone get them for me please!!

That happens more often than you’d think. Someone elderly passed away and the the relatives don’t want to see the car about so they ask for it to be bailed. In any case usually the moment a car sets foot over the threshold of a scrapyard the COD paperwork is filled in.