Kia Pride epic shite rescue - times three.

gricer

On 21/07/2021 at 18:04, gricer said:

LONG OVERDUE UPDATE

After the epic rescues of 2016, not a lot happened. The blue Pride kept passing its MoT. I trailered the van up north so all the Prides could be together (aaah!) and then came Covid, so I couldn't even visit them for almost a year.

51325996096_094d8d5ef5.jpg

Meanwhile I'd had an amazing find online - a NOS front bumper, all the way from Bulgaria. I paid my €43 and waited. After a few weeks, it arrived, in a cardboard box the size of a car. Amazingly, it was the right part. And I'd located another supplier of significance - of which more later (he said, mysteriously)

The blue Pride's rust wasn't getting any better, so it was time to get the bodywork done.  And it was its 30th birthday in May, so what better time for a refresh? A suitable bodyshop was recommended to me (High Gloss Motor Bodies of Stockport) and the trip was on. I drove the car from Blackpool to Stockport, which is probably the longest journey it's made in decades. As I left, I realised it was probably the last time it'd see its home since 1991, as the plan was to bring it home to Surrey.  Lump in the throat...

51325259152_4f8a6c0cf4.jpg

Not a peep, despite monsoon conditions. 10 days later I'm on the train to Stockport to collect - and drive it back home to Weybridge. Chris at the bodyshop has done a superb job of matching the difficult metallic blue paint colour on the resprayed side panels and doors.  Rust door bottoms and wheel arches are gone, and the mum-inflicted bashed wing is fixed.  And the new bumper makes it look rather special. But it needs another touch to make it properly special...

51326199688_7bee3930a7.jpg

The journey home involves a stop in Stafford. Because Stafford is the home of Mr Whitewalls. By a process involving alchemy, the dark arts, a motorised contraption, a heat gun and a bottle of paint, Mr Whitewalls set about the task of whiting my walls, baby.

51325993616_5a545d27c0.jpg

And then it's onward down the M6 for the 200-mile journey home (not a peep from it - what a great little car it is) to be reunited with a matching set of original wheel trims...

51326713924_7138b6b607.jpg

51325988446_3bee0f9dca.jpg

I honestly can't keep smiling, just looking at it, with its little whitewalls and proper trims. The Pride did us proud for 30 years, and now I've repaid the favour. And even better - it's been accepted for the Concours at Festival of the Unexceptional. Come and  say hello.

Next job - project van!

just read the thread from the start, what a lovely story and save :) 

you have done a cracking job and it looks amazing :) 

looks like it would be a right hoot to drive as well, I understand most small hatchbacks of this period are :) 

keep up the awesome work I look forward to seeing the Vans restoration!

as a side note Im curious when it was new with its whitewalls, where they specifically made for Kia and the Pride or did some other obscure car at the time also use them?

On 7/12/2021 at 3:17 PM, Grumblespeed said:

Some entertainment provided at the stop off though. This just pulled up on front of me, bless, used to have one too

20210712_151244.thumb.jpg.cff34edc5d51955f2d158c54379470bb.jpg

Coffee, and update when I get this home.

Just as an aside, don't know if you saw this from my collection a couple of weeks back. Don't see many in the wild. I loved my little Pride - ran it for a couple of years round the turn of the millennium.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:30 PM, LightBulbFun said:

just read the thread from the start, what a lovely story and save :) 

you have done a cracking job and it looks amazing :) 

looks like it would be a right hoot to drive as well, I understand most small hatchbacks of this period are :) 

keep up the awesome work I look forward to seeing the Vans restoration!

as a side note Im curious when it was new with its whitewalls, where they specifically made for Kia and the Pride or did some other obscure car at the time also use them?

They were a thing in 80s Korea - a lot of cars had them, and other aftermarket knick-nacks like bonnet ornaments and flowery chintz seat covers. Saw it for myself on a press trip in 1987. Whitewalls were so popular they were a factory option. When Kia UK started they thought it would be an attention-grabbing gimmick to offer them - and it was. Most buyers specified them, and people remember them to this day. They were offered for about 3 years.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:49 PM, Grumblespeed said:

Just as an aside, don't know if you saw this from my collection a couple of weeks back. Don't see many in the wild. I loved my little Pride - ran it for a couple of years round the turn of the millennium.

I know the owner of that one. Proper Kia fan!

image.png.0566747ab87da07007d2b2569f4efdf4.png

Here's an interesting shot of them coming down the production line. it looks like higher spec models, deduced by the painted bumpers, not only had white walls but one of those far-side sticks to show the furtherest edge of the bumper, something you often see on JDM vehicles. The white walls came over here, but I don't recall ever seeing one with a guiding stick.

13 minutes ago, martc said:

image.png.0566747ab87da07007d2b2569f4efdf4.png

Here's an interesting shot of them coming down the production line. it looks like higher spec models, deduced by the painted bumpers, not only had white walls but one of those far-side sticks to show the furtherest edge of the bumper, something you often see on JDM vehicles. The white walls came over here, but I don't recall ever seeing one with a guiding stick.

Yes, really early shot of Korean spec cars. Those bumper sticks were popular in Asia. the second car in line is probably a mingebag spec 1.1. Those were sold here but in very small numbers. Note also - no side trims, and Korean-standard spots.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you'd told me when I bought this car in 1991 that it would be a star of a major classic car show in 30 years time I might have given my head a wobble. But so it came to pass. Great day out at the Festival of the Unexceptional, and a commendation in the Concours d'Ordinaire. And a nice weekend in Lincolnshire with Mrs Gricer as well. 500 miles of trouble-free Kia motoring too, though I managed to scratch the wing while putting air in the tyres, like a numpty. Anyway it now has its own little name board for the next time it goes to a classic car show. Which it certainly will...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png