Kia Pride epic shite rescue - times three.

gricer

I remember around 6-7 years ago when scanning car parks for shite to take photos of, Kia Prides and MK3 Polos would stand out due to their thin roof pillars and I'd then be gutted to see a Pride instead of some cruddy old Ford/Vauxhall/etc.

Now it'd make my day to see one.

I was actually wondering how the H reg one was doing as I remember your thread on here about it a year or more ago. Great to see you got a van too, amazing at what top drawer stuff is on this forum.

*EDIT*

One of my Flickr contacts spotted a van recently(ish)

27269775374_75f15c044e_z.jpgJ995 MDX by Kevin Miller, on Flickr

Also, if anyone gets lost in his comprehensive photostream, don't blame me.

Is the H-plater on a carb?  I had an H-plate Mazda 121 LX as a daily for a while about 9 years ago - that was a 1324cc carb engine with no discernible rev limiter, and embarrassed many a lower-end A4 and 3-series during my ownership.  It'd stay with a 318i up to 50, and leave a 316i for dead.  Loved it.

PICT0244-1.jpg

I had an H-plate Mazda 121 LX as a daily for a while about 9 years ago - that was a 1324cc carb engine with no discernible rev limiter, and embarrassed many a lower-end A4 and 3-series during my ownership. It'd stay with a 318i up to 50, and leave a 316i for dead. Loved it.

Mirado wheel trimmed for extra Aerodynamic speed!

I havent seen a Pride on the road now for a good few years but round my parts there are 2 121s still doing the rounds. One in turquoise and this white one I spotted back in October.post-20412-0-56953100-1483657371_thumb.jpg

That's a nice story and the family history of the blue car is great. Is the donor not worth re panelling with the take off bits and getting through a test to use as a run about? 

I think it's a bit rotten underneath - I will get it looked at, as it's mechanically sound. I'm a bit loath to kill it, given its history, but it was never properly undersealed, and I suspect it's not worth spending money and effort on - I'd rather spend it on the van, TBH. And I'm probably going to need most of the interior for the van too.

Or buy a Penza and drive it back to South Africa and return with a boot full of biltong and OSF spares. 

There's a flaw in that plan - the SA cars were badged either Ford Laser or Mazda 323. SAO was a UK invention (derived from SAMCOR, the SA plant) by the Mazda/Kia importer, and the badges were made and fitted in the UK. The only Sao Penzas are the ones sold in the UK. And they may or may not be extinct. Finding one is someone else's challenge!

Carlo - Don't worry - I know Kia UK very well, and they're aware of the car's existence. Hopefully we'll be doing something this year with them.

Beko1987 - Yes, the plan is to have a mint blue car and a mint red van.

Your group of Prides look super. What do you call a group of Prides, is it a Lion  :-D

Bit cheeky to ask but any idea where i could get two wings for my Shuma cheaper that £100 each plus vat from the local dealer?

Can you not Part-ex the current wings?

Or sign up to a five year 0% apr 14% deposit finance sheme for a nice new pair of Shuma wings? I bet theyd throw in a crossaint and a cup of weak tea.

Shuma wing doorstep challenge

"Would you swap two rotten Kia wings for two brand new ones"

Has 2 second think "Yes"  :mrgreen:

There's a flaw in that plan - the SA cars were badged either Ford Laser or Mazda 323. SAO was a UK invention (derived from SAMCOR, the SA plant) by the Mazda/Kia importer, and the badges were made and fitted in the UK. The only Sao Penzas are the ones sold in the UK. And they may or may not be extinct. Finding one is someone else's challenge!

Ahah!

So that explains why I'm not seeing one solitary SAO Penza here at all then...I'm typing from Jo'burg!

The very important question is whether or not you've been able to find a supplier for some whitewall tyres?  Especially since the van was sporting one as late as 2014.

I actually have three original whitewalls - the spares in each of the three Prides. I wouldn't want to risk it on 25-year-old rubber though, so I'll either use them as patterns or try and see if the original supplier (Hankook) still does the the same tyre. Suspect I'll have to do the whitewalls separately.

We had a white 5 door in nineteen ninety something.  2nd gear was obstructive and it was showing rust stains on its pristine white paintwork, mainly around and on the hatch. Oh, and the sunroof leaked.  Wife loved it and it went well. It had the odd combination of a carburettor and a catalyst but was always well behaved. I read somewhere that the 5 door has a longer wheelbase than the 3 door.  

Aye the wheel trims are just £9.99 jobbies but it just provided an instant tidy up without having to spray the wheels as the steels on the drivers side are different colours if I remember correctly.

Epic little cars, I have been tempted to keep it as a runabout.