Advice on driving to a pre booked MOT.

danthecapriman

Guest Breadvan72

I think it would balance on whether you could be expected to know it was dangerous or not that's what I'm saying.

I understand, but the statutory offence here does not require knowledge of the defect. This is what is known as a strict liability offence.   The state of the driver's knowledge might be relevant to mitigation of penalty.

I understand, but the statutory offence here does not require knowledge of the defect. This is what is known as a strict liability offence.   The state of the driver's knowledge might be relevant to mitigation of penalty.

Ooh you are a know all!

I think you can do the same with insurance in instalments for skint shiters, cancel before the 14 day cooling off period.

Another brother of mine tried that and it backfired spectacularly. They wanted the full "interest payment on the loan for the year's insurance" or whatever the wording was, so he was properly shafted. Read all the small print very carefully if you're gonna try that one.

As per, the poorer members of society are the ones unable to access the cheapest services.

I understand, but the statutory offence here does not require knowledge of the defect. This is what is known as a strict liability offence. The state of the driver's knowledge might be relevant to mitigation of penalty.

A summary beating for a leaky shocker, something like a years hard labour for a bald tyre.

Yep, I tried to tax the Clio before driving it home but it wouldn't let me. It was on Sorn and with no MOT at the time, I was doing it as the new keeper.

That's probably why. I'm sure we have cars which are taxed by DD but the MOTs have run out. One is arguably "on a public road" which is why it is kept taxed (not my car, someone else in the family).

I have only once been stopped while driving an illegal vehicle,

Mr traffic ooficer, hello is this bike legal,

Me, nope it has no tax or test,

Mr traffic ooficer, oh and why not,

Me, because I'm heading for its MOT,

Mr traffic ooficer, where is that,

Me, lowick at 3pm,

Mr traffic ooficer, looks at watch oh well you better get move on or you will be late,

Me, no probs bye,

He did follow me for a mile or two before turning off.

I have only once been stopped while driving an illegal vehicle,

Mr traffic ooficer, hello is this bike legal,

Me, nope it has no tax or test,

Mr traffic ooficer, oh and why not,

Me, because I'm heading for its MOT,

Mr traffic ooficer, where is that,

Me, lowick at 3pm,

Mr traffic ooficer, looks at watch oh well you better get move on or you will be late,

Me, no probs bye,

He did follow me for a mile or two before turning off.

I can beat that!

Plod: Do you know why I stopped you?

Me: Could it be how sideways I went in front of you? Sorry about that, not used to this car in the wet.

Plod: No tax on display *checks* no insurance or MOT either.

Me: Yeah, I'm on the way to a MOT.

Plod: T'other one has bells on...

Roll on a few weeks & court time.

Court: How do you plead?

Me: Not guilty, I was on the way to a MOT & the car was in my gf's name so my any car cover insured me. *hands over docs & photocopy of garage diary*.

Court: Very good, all legal. Don't do it again!

Me: *thinks* Don't do what again? drive legally to a pre-booked MOT?

Oh & excuse for original offence? Xr4i, LSD fitted, lowered so running on cambered wheels & no interior for weight on wet road. It'd spin up in 3rd if asked.

Normally not a problem, but in a Dolly? Never make it to the post office. You're stuffed.

Ben

I should warn you that a car show announcer once called our Dollywobbler "eccentric" and he's regretted it ever since 'cos we keep filling his concours arena with shite. Do you want your garden full of shite?

Another brother of mine tried that and it backfired spectacularly. They wanted the full "interest payment on the loan for the year's insurance" or whatever the wording was, so he was properly shafted. Read all the small print very carefully if you're gonna try that one.

As per, the poorer members of society are the ones unable to access the cheapest services.

Many instalment plans are just this - Loans. 

Usually at a spectacularly bum-raping interest rate, too.   Often the outstanding amount is deducted from a claim, too.

Cancelling this type of premium is like saying you don't want the 3 piece suite you just bought after all.   You can take it back to the shop but you still owe the balance which will be vigorously persued.....  

There's a local bellend in Reading who videos cars from his pushbike and about half (seriously!) lack tax or MOT. If you're worried about ANPR etc, I would't. My boss also accidentally drove for three months recently a daily 100 mile commute with a lapsed test.

This is good news for me also as I'm soon going away for two months during which time my MOT will expire. I'll do it on my return then :)

I got a '7 day wonder' remember them? on a car that I discovered was 6 months out of MOT when I found the docs. Got it tested & turned up at the station with that & they weren't even slightly worried about it.

Year before last, I managed to miss my MOT by about 5 months. This was despite having the date clearly written on a plastic tag, on the same keyring as the car keys.

Yep, I've managed to do this. Worse, it was my wife who was mainly driving the car.

There was nothing wrong with it - passed without advisories - but despite the fact that she'd been taking it to work without issue for three months past the expiry, we then immediately parked it up for the three or four days before we could get it tested.

It really does make you wonder about the effectiveness of ANPR, 'cos the law of averages says the car MUST have been past a checkpoint at least once in three months. This is a car that does 25k per annum, so it's not like it sneaks out once a week for a half-mile trot to the Post Office!

Guest Breadvan72

An old and/or rare car might arouse the curiosity of a passing plod.  I was pulled over in central London driving a Lancia Beta Spider on which I had got the MoT date wrong by some months.  The car had been off road for some repairs and I had only just started driving it again, mistakenly thinking that it still had an MoT.    The copper had presumably checked on the database while driving behind me  I think that I came across as so genuinely surprised (which I was) and sufficiently contrite to be let off with a "get it tested".  Like others, I then freaked out and didn't drive the car again until on the way to and from the successful test.

Not long after I bought my SD1 it was admired by two Met coppers at a filling station on the Westway.  One of the coppers was old enough to recall SD1s in police service.  Then they told me the car had no MoT, but it did: I was able to flourish the certificate that had been issued the previous day.  

An old and/or rare car might arouse the curiosity of a passing plod.  I was pulled over in central London driving a Lancia Beta Spider on which I had got the MoT date wrong by some months.  The car had been off road for some repairs and I had only just started driving it again, mistakenly thinking that it still had an MoT.    The copper had presumably checked on the database while driving behind me  I think that I came across as so genuinely surprised (which I was) and sufficiently contrite to be let off with a "get it tested".  Like others, I then freaked out and didn't drive the car again until on the way to and from the successful test.

Not long after I bought my SD1 it was admired by two Met coppers at a filling station on the Westway.  One of the coppers was old enough to recall SD1s in police service.  Then they told me the car had no MoT, but it did: I was able to flourish the certificate that had been issued the previous day.

It's an 88 Volvo 740 I'm planning on doing this with, so it's not too old or unique to draw attention.

I was thinking today about this and the thought struck me that I genuinely can't remember the last time recently on my travels I saw a police car!

It's cameras I worry about but by the sound of it I needn't worry.

Of course it'd be just my luck that I get seen and stopped the moment the cars tyres cross the threshold of the driveway onto the road!

Guest Breadvan72

You'll find that the cars with cameras have filters. Stopping a motorist for no mot (minor road traffic offence) could mean they'll miss a drugs - burglary - no insurance vehicle which is surely much more rewarding!

Sure, but all my cars have the "check boot for dead hookers" flag on the PNC.

You'll find that the cars with cameras have filters. Stopping a motorist for no mot (minor road traffic offence) could mean they'll miss a drugs - burglary - no insurance vehicle which is surely much more rewarding!

Or a car with no MOT or insurance could also have been used in crime, so gives the police an excuse to stop the car and investigate anything else they may suspect.