Advice on driving to a pre booked MOT.

danthecapriman

If you're unsure, could you do it the other way around and book an MOT close to where the car is now, and then afterwards legally drive it home from that prebooked MOT (to yours?) Assuming it fails you would at least know how tragically it failed and could make a judgement about whether it's roadworthy or not before setting off.

I did consider this option.

Originally I'd thought about playing it safe and booking it in with a garage in Bath where the car is now for an MOT, then have them do any repair work needed just to get it a fresh ticket but it's got potential to be more expensive and I wouldn't know the garage I'd have to use so could I trust them?

I think it'll be better to drive home on the pre booked MOT so at least then I could take it somewhere I know and trust. Also has the bonus that the car would then be local and easy to get to and from.

Guest Breadvan72

Or, indeed, with a freshly passed MoT (eg if something breaks straight after the test, or the MoT was Parker penned).  If the heap is unroadworthy, you can be given a kicking by Plod.

A one year old car that has bald tyres (because burnupz YO) would be Ploddable, even though not yet due an MoT.

I'd be far more worried about the condition of the car for the 80 mile drive than I would be about the lack of MOT. I had to dispose of a 75% fucked Micra for a relative, and although it was booked in for an MOT, I had insurance etc, the almost terminally seized near side front wheel bearing (the other one was grumbling too, you just couldn't hear it over the howl of the worst one) meant that the drive to the garage was nerve-wracking. Mrs LBC was following me and said she could hear the din from her car.....

I'd head up there with the intention of driving it back - you can always un-book an MOT if the car's a bit more banjaxed than you expected. But in most cases a car is perfectly driveable and only doesn't have an MOT because the previous owner ran out of interest in the car, not because it suddenly exploded. Though that happens too.

I'm planning to do exactly the same on Friday with the Zafira. Total distance will be 7.5 miles.

Am I right in thinking if I get day insurance then I'm okay to drive it to the test centre? (Has been pre-booked) - all tyres are good and is solid and safe to drive?

Yeah, thats fine.....

I'd be far more worried about the condition of the car for the 80 mile drive than I would be about the lack of MOT. I had to dispose of a 75% fucked Micra for a relative, and although it was booked in for an MOT, I had insurance etc, the almost terminally seized near side front wheel bearing (the other one was grumbling too, you just couldn't hear it over the howl of the worst one) meant that the drive to the garage was nerve-wracking. Mrs LBC was following me and said she could hear the din from her car.....

I'd head up there with the intention of driving it back - you can always un-book an MOT if the car's a bit more banjaxed than you expected. But in most cases a car is perfectly driveable and only doesn't have an MOT because the previous owner ran out of interest in the car, not because it suddenly exploded. Though that happens too.

That is in the back of my mind tbh, but I'm going to give the car a thorough going over before I try driving it any distance. I'll go up one day, do the stuff I know it needs, pump up tyres etc etc and get it started and moving.

Then book an MOT and go back to drive the car home on MOT day. Spreading it out over a couple of days should give me more chance of making sure the car is ok to do the trip.

I'm quite happy to check the brakes on day 1 too, at least then if they turn out to be seized I can go home, order the bits and then go back and fit it all on the guys driveway.

This Volvo has only been sat since mid 2015 as it's long term owner passed away. Until then it was in regular use.

I did this recently with the Clio-50 odd miles with no MOT having sat for 6 months or so.

Everything has been covered here, the only thing I can add is make sure you have proof of insurance with you. Plod stopped me bringing the Roffle lexus home (it was MOT'd) and things were fine as I had my cover note on my phone, things could have been different if I didn't have that to show them

As an aside on the day insurance, don't bother with a short term policy if possible, it really puts the pressure on you to get the whole thing done, and it's expensive!

Just do a Moneysupermarket (or similar) search with no no-claims, choose the cheapest result (or the next one down if it has a cheaper admin fee, do the maths). Pay in full by debit card if possible.Then on 13th day, ring to cancel, and they will refund in full, minus the admin fee and one-twenty-sixth of the original premium. It's the law, they have to do it. (FSA rules.)

Eg. Premium is £520 and admin charge (for changing any details) is £15... you pay 520 up front, call to cancel on the last day of your 14 days of cooling-off, they refund £485, so the whole thing cost you £35 to insure for two weeks. 35 = two weeks' cover + admin fee. Happy days. All cheaper than buying two day's cover.

Sorry GreenGartside, too late for you!

TL;DR: Day insurance can FRO.

If the online system has let you tax an untested car it's a mistake. It even says on the page that you need an MoT if one is required for the vehicle and warns that it may take up to two days  for the system to update if you have just tested a vehicle.

Guest Breadvan72

Junkman is, I suggest, in error.

The DVLA site will say this to you if you try to tax a vehicle that  needs an MoT but does not have one:-

Taxing a vehicle
MOT test certificate could not be found

Sorry, it has not been possible to match the vehicle with a MOT Test Certificate at this time and you are unable to complete your application for vehicle tax using this service.

This does not necessarily mean the vehicle does not have a valid MOT Test Certificate. To apply for vehicle tax, the vehicle must have a valid MOT on the date the tax is due to begin.

Or, indeed, with a freshly passed MoT (eg if something breaks straight after the test, or the MoT was Parker penned). If the heap is unroadworthy, you can be given a kicking by Plod.

A one year old car that has bald tyres (because burnupz YO) would be Ploddable, even though not yet due an MoT.

I'd guess it goes on what a reasonable person would reasonably be expected to know, if you had a duff suspension bush 6 months after a test you'd be looked upon more leniently than if you had took an MOT and been advised the brakes were unsafe, then continued to use the car.

Junkman is, I suggest, in error.

The DVLA site will say this to you if you try to tax a vehicle that  needs an MoT but does not have one:-

Taxing a vehicle
MOT test certificate could not be found

Sorry, it has not been possible to match the vehicle with a MOT Test Certificate at this time and you are unable to complete your application for vehicle tax using this service.

This does not necessarily mean the vehicle does not have a valid MOT Test Certificate. To apply for vehicle tax, the vehicle must have a valid MOT on the date the tax is due to begin.

Yep, I tried to tax the Clio before driving it home but it wouldn't let me. It was on Sorn and with no MOT at the time, I was doing it as the new keeper.

Guest Breadvan72

I'd guess it goes on what a reasonable person would reasonably be expected to know, if you had a duff suspension bush 6 months after a test you'd be looked upon more leniently than if you had took an MOT and been advised the brakes were unsafe, then continued to use the car.

If you use a vehicle that is in a dangerous condition, you could be done for this, regardless of whether or not you know before using the heap of the defect that makes it dangerous.  In practice, for minor defects, police may issue a defect rectification notice, or just say "get yer lights fixed" or whatever.