SENATOR-Gone!

Stevebrookman

These engines aren't that bulletproof.

For one thing, they eat camshafts for breakfast. But that hasn't happened here, since if it did, it wouldn't run at all.

Then there is the thing with the timing chain and the infamous oil leak from the head gasket half way along the block.

The usual guess how I know all this etc etc applies.

My money is on a dodgy plug lead or plug, though.

So I was only half wrong.

It would be very weird though, if it ate only one camshaft lobe.

Hence my money is now on the tappet.

Going back 30 years when i was a trainee at a Vauxhall dealer there was a procedure for adjusting / setting the valve clearances on these engines.

We made a little half moon shaped shield out of a bit of tin that fitted over the cam chain to stop the oil getting flung everywhere then you started the engine up with the cam cover removed,i think a bit of stiff card would do the job just as well.

This was held in place by using a couple of the cover bolts through it into the existing threads by the chain.

If my memory serves me the early engines were not hydraulic but had solid tappets and to set these you started the hot engine and used a long feeler strip to measure the valve to rocker clearance and adjusted it as required by turning the rocker nut.

I can't accurately recall the procedure for adjusting hydraulic lifters but it was something like have the engine warmed up and running and slacken the rocker nut until it just starts to tap then slowly turn the rocker nut one full turn and that would set up the correct pre load.

It could i guess be a totaly worn cam lobe causing the valve not to operate so why not with the rocker arm removed rotate the engine and see if the tappet goes up and down ?

Edit. Thinking about the adjustment procedure although one full turn was recommended i think they seemed happier with around just half a turn as a rule.

I had a look-got the tappet piston freed off-but still not working.
Tried to have a look at the cam and cannot feel any lobe on the cam-so now suspecting a cam shaft.

Question-how hard to change and if I can get a second hand one-will I have to replace all the tappets?

Bren-I've found a supplier on the bay who sells new tappets for £12

Regards

Steve

Sounds like you'd best get a cam then........and all new followers.

The car seems worth it though

Steve

I have a new cam kit for one of these with 12 followers, I don't know which make it is but is has a part number on it which is R900090581, I paid £80 for it to keep as a you never know item (I have a Senator B 2.5). If it is any good you can have it for what I paid plus postage or pick up from Wakefield West Yorks. Tony

post-17984-0-12322300-1485613891_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Had a bit of time tonight so started to strip down the engine. Took all the rockers off and tappets out. There were another three tappets starting to wear. Will disconnect the exhaust and detach all the injector wiring next.

Have to fit it in with putting a roof on the carport.

Steve

Beautiful old motor that, I'm nearly the same colour as it - well green with envy!

I remember chocolate camshafts being rife on certain engines (ok most of the OHC or CIH ones), but I'd assumed they'd all have been fixed by now. I was reading through this going "can't be the cam, surely?" but there you go. You never know the day!

Look forward to seeing how you get on. Good luck.