Vauxhall 1.9CDTI's any good?

Jazoli

I've had my spaceship civic for almost 5 years now. In that time it's required a clutch and a suspension strut. Also the clutch pedal went squeaky - fixed by liberaly greasing of the clutch master cylinder.

The 2.2 diesel performs well, but feels laggy to start - very much like a VTEC. Remapping apparently fixes this.

A 1.9PD unit thing in 130hp form in an Octavia or Superb if you prefer limousine-status may be a more suitable 'basic' alternative?

I think these pre-dated all the conjiggeries that fail on more modern diesels...

I concur....................PD is excellent old lump..............eleventy billion cabbies can't be wrong......................

The owner of the bodyshop I use has a 57 plate Vectra 1.9 CDTDCTi, and it's a great car. It's willing and economical, and has been reliable. He bought it 2 years ago needing a wing and two doors, paid next to bugger all for it, fixed it for about £200.

In the Land of Pistonheads it's another unreliable rubbish Vauxhall (despite being an Opel) and not as good as German stuff (despite being built in Germany). But, that makes it cheaper for us.

I concur....................PD is excellent old lump..............eleventy billion cabbies can't be wrong......................

But finding one with under a million miles on is difficult where there are plenty of 1.9cdti's around with 70-80k on them

Not all had DPFs. My 2005 9-3 with it never had one. I believe they ran out of stock of them between 2005-2006 so they had a phase with none fitted. Which on the Saab installation (probably same as Vauxhalls too) was a good thing, as they were horrifically bad in detecting when they should be regenerated.

I find the vectra interior a bit uninspiring. How hard wearing is it? Are they reasonably child proof?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

The seats seem quite tough, rather than rip or fray in my experience they just do that thing where the bit you sit on sort of glosses over with accumulated dirt, like a sort of black sheen. I think on the back ones the 'female' seat belt holders are built into the seat base though, mine had packed up so I had to buy the complete base for it from a scrap yard.