Vauxhall 1.9CDTI's any good?

Jazoli

I'm looking for a replacement for my focus and for some strange reason the Astra 19cdti's (2008 ish) are strangely appealing, I've driven a few a few years back when they were new and they seemed like quite a punchy engine, coupled with cheap to fix mechanicals, Ideally I'd want a 150bhp version and probably get it mapped, any issues that I should look out for?

I've also been looking at 407 HDi's as they are a lot of car for the money but I don't have many positive experiences with french cars, am I mad to consider one?

EGRs, EGRs, EGRs. Also swirl flaps + swirl flap rods. Occasionally turbos. Afaik, no-where near as turbo munchy as VAG 2.0 TDI or Renault 1.9dci though. DMF give trouble too.

EGRs are cheap enough now to throw out and replace instead of getting down and filthy with carb cleaner.

Swirl flap rods have their ball-cup round out over time. There are eBay special kits to fix them now without the trouble of removing the swirl flap assembly. Swirl flap assembly removal requires removing fuel pump & cam belt - so big job. Unlike shit BMWs, the swirl flaps don't disintegrate and get sucked into the engine. I fixed mine (on a Saab 9-3) with number plate caps on the rod as the eBay kits didn't exist at the time. This lasted for a good 20-30k (something like that) before the car got written off by a rear-end accident.

Replacement Turbos can be had cheap.

DMF are problematic. Unlike the Mondeo, you can ignore it without having starting issues. However ignoring it leads over time to buggering the gearbox up. Also uncomfortable on the foot. Mine was starting to be on the way out before the accident at ~130k.

There may be specifics on the Astra, my knowledge was on the Saab 9-3 (pretty much identical engine + setup).

They get a lot of bad press, but tbh apart from EGRs, they seem pretty sturdy engines. I really enjoyed the very-low turbo lag and responsiveness of the one I had. The Astra I was a passenger in once, with that engine did fly a bit.

Whatever diesel you choose, there will be leagues of complaints about how unreliable they are. Given all the 15 year old CDTis and TDCIs there are knocking about they can't all be bags of shit.

As above really. A lot of the taxis use the Vectra so again can't be all that shit.

Have you thought of a Mondeo TDCI, similar problems/benefits to the above?

My Zafira 1.9CDTi was the most lovely car to drive in the 18 months of ownership that we had it for.

True, it had 22 breakdowns in those 18 months and required several new EGR vales and an entire new DPF/exhaust and ECU that controlled the anti pollution system, main fuel management ECU and fuel injectors due to pressure issues - however there are now firms that will "delete" this anti pollution shit for a nominal fee.

Ok, so I guess I won't be buying one of either then, that's what I hate about diesels, they can have so many faults, unlike relatively simple petrol engines, I enjoy the power delivery of a decent TD, and prefer torque to revving the nuts off a n/a petrol engine to make progress, but don't like the bills and issues they can throw at you, I'm not too arsed about mpg.

Have you thought of a Mondeo TDCI, similar problems/benefits to the above?

Mondeo is just a bit big really as my commute is 10 miles of twisty narrow B road which is empty in a morning but full of morons on the wrong side of the road on the way home so don't want anything bigger than my mk2 focus.

Basically I have a £2k budget, it needs to be able to have a towbar fitted and enough space for all my bike trackday kit to fit in the back, I'm looking at (petrol) E46 3 series tourings, Seat Leon 1.8t's, the aforementioned Astra's, Subaru Legacy/Forester and Pug 407's, there's not a lot else that I really like out there, I could stretch the budget a bit for an E90 3 series petrol but I've read lots of horror stories about them too!

One of my mates had a vectra 1.9 cdti. 2005 model. He had it for roughly 2 years & other than the usual maintenance, it did not cause him any hassle.

He then got a Mercedes C200K, & Sold his little brother the vectra. 

His little brother got the vectra mot'd for another year, & two days after it was mot'd, the timing belt snapped whilst driving in Edinburgh,

It fucked the engine (interference engines these).

As I've said before, anything can be trouble. £2k though can be tricky in a lot of respects, there's a lot of tarted up shite out there particularly at that money.

Yeah I know, I need to buy a car off someone like me who has done the clutch/timing belt/thermostat/ac compressor/4 new tyres then got bored and decided they want something else

Fucking ace cars and I genuinely believe there isn't a better diesel in that class (family car) of that era. Yes, they do have problems but they absolutely walk all over Passats, Mondeos and the like.

Ps my last one cost circa £400, had done 170,000 miles and had no history at all. It was still great, even though it'd display an annoying niggle now and then.

The older ones (pre Euro 4??) you could completely block the EGR, later types needed a small hole in the blank plate, so as to keep enough of a flow through the EGR to keep the EML happy.

Sub £1000 diesels can be a funny thing, 100,000 milers often aren't such a good buy, it's the usual time for DMF/injector/turbo issues to manifest themselves, sometimes a 130-150,000 miler will be the better buy, it's been used as intended and will almost certain have had the DMF replaced. A 80,000 mile 12 year old diesel owned by some old giffer that's never been over 2500 rpm isn't a good buy. One that's had the taps opened from time to time and has done a regular run where it's got warmed through is a much better buy.

/\

I think all modern diesels need a bloody good hammering on a regular basis. My 406 smoked like a bastard when I got it because I think most of it's last few miles before I had it were round the doors.

/\

I think all modern diesels need a bloody good hammering on a regular basis.

When my parents owned the 9-3 before me, they had loads of trouble of the EGR clogging up. They got through a good 3 valves in 100k miles. The Saab dealer specifically said that they didn't drive it hard enough.

I cleaned out the EGR in my Civic after it was clogging up, not long after owning it. After 40k odd I took it off and it was clean as a whistle. I must be driving it right... :mrgreen:

I've an '05 vectra sri with the 1.9 cdti + 6 speed box (120 bhp).

Drives like a 3.0 petrol, overtaking is effortless on the motorway and it does 49 mpg.

Admittedly i've spent a grand on it since i got it, clutch+dmf+concentric bearing, timing belt kit, water pump, auxilary belt.

All it really needed was the flywheel (the friction disc was like new) but i don't mind spending the money on what is a strong, reliable, comfy car. Especially considered it'll do 25k+ per annum.

All the parts replaced were the factory originals and had lasted 11 years and 100k.

Have you considered a 'spaceship' shape civic? Diesels are meant to be okay, and my mates petrol one is feckin' huge in the back, with the seats down it's not much smaller than my pug partner!

Variable vane turbo stuff really doesn't react well to gentle use. You really need to tump it at the least weekly, combined with some decent Turbo cleaner such as Forte every year or so. I'd suggest frequent cleaning of the EGR system and checking the boost hoses as part of a maintenance strategy. Keeping the filters changed with OE ones yearly combined with regular oil changes should keep you ok. A lot of the problems with diesels goes down to lack of understanding and maintenance at a DIY level beyond changing the oil once in a blue moon.

I'm not saying they are paragons of reliability but you can stack the odds in your favour.

Ok, so I guess I won't be buying one of either then, that's what I hate about diesels, they can have so many faults, unlike relatively simple petrol engines, I enjoy the power delivery of a decent TD, and prefer torque to revving the nuts off a n/a petrol engine to make progress, but don't like the bills and issues they can throw at you, I'm not too arsed about mpg.

Mondeo is just a bit big really as my commute is 10 miles of twisty narrow B road which is empty in a morning but full of morons on the wrong side of the road on the way home so don't want anything bigger than my mk2 focus.

Basically I have a £2k budget, it needs to be able to have a towbar fitted and enough space for all my bike trackday kit to fit in the back, I'm looking at (petrol) E46 3 series tourings, Seat Leon 1.8t's, the aforementioned Astra's, Subaru Legacy/Forester and Pug 407's, there's not a lot else that I really like out there, I could stretch the budget a bit for an E90 3 series petrol but I've read lots of horror stories about them too!

I think this meets the requirements:

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-156-Sportwagon-1-9JTD-140-Veloce-58-MPG-/131889181537?hash=item1eb5353361:g:FsYAAOSw0RpXlxyA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-156-Sportwagon-1-9JTD-140-Veloce-58-MPG-/131889181537?hash=item1eb5353361:g:FsYAAOSw0RpXlxyA

Have you considered a 'spaceship' shape civic? Diesels are meant to be okay, and my mates petrol one is feckin' huge in the back, with the seats down it's not much smaller than my pug partner!

Yes, I have, I like the dash but I don't think they have aged well, one to consider though.

It does, but I don't like the 156 that much, especially that one with that interior, it has to be leather in an Alfa, the interior in the ex sporty-shite 147 I owned was lush, I don't like the cloth trim or the light coloured dash, plus although mine was reliable I still felt as if it would break down spectacularly every time I drove it, I like the 159's but a good one is £3k plus and I'm not comfortable spending that much on a car as any big bills mean I have to fix it rather than bridge it, with something cheaper I'm not too worried.

The guy who I have sold my focus too wants it at the end of Jan so I'll see whats available then, I might just buy some cheap shite, there's also a potential purchase from this forum on the cards but we'll see what's around.