snagglepuss

Bulgaria Fest - Task complete

NOVA declaration completed. Am considering a pre-MOT next week to see what we need to sort out. Rear seatbelts ARE required in vehicles after 1986. It doesn't have any mounts, so my thoughts are seat removal for the MOT,

IIRC you don't have to actually remove the seat. Simply folding it is sufficient for the belts to not longer be a testable item. Certainly in both 7-seat vehicles I currently own, when the 6th and 7th seats are folded, the belts are not tested.

I'd be very surprised if the car doesn't have welded nuts somewhere for the rear seatbelts. The trim might not allow access to them, but of all the cars I've ever worked on I've yet to see one that didn't have welded nuts for the rear belts. Even if belts weren't fitted (none of my Talbots ever had rear belts fitted, because 1985, much to the fright of any passengers I ever carried.)

No, you do need to remove the rear seat. Folding an "everyday" use seat is insufficient, as the tester is actively encouraged to lift such a seat where no tools are required unless it is impractical to do so (e.g. there is heavy stuff on top (which the tester may decide to abandon test on).

The matter is different for those deemed "occasional" folded seats, rather than "everyday" folded seats.

Short-term: remove seat. Long-term: find/fit suitable anchorages and appropriate belts.

The matter is different for those deemed "occasional" folded seats, rather than "everyday" folded seats.

DW: "I barely ever take more than one passenger. They ARE occasional seats"

Seems odd that a tester can make a judgement call about whether a seat is "everyday" or "occasional". To a single person or couple with no smalls, a normal back seat is occasional. To a family with 5 children, the rearmost 6th/7th seats are everyday. How is the tester supposed to know that?

We (my company) presented a Berlingo van for MOT a few years back with the front passenger seat in it's folded configuration, and gained an advisory for "unable to inspect passenger seatbelt due to seat in non-travel configuration" (or something similar). Surely a passenger seat fitted to a car is a passenger seat fitted to a car. Where it is or how often it is (currently) used is somewhat irrelevent.

Seems odd that a tester can make a judgement call about whether a seat is "everyday" or "occasional".

There are guidance notes in the old manual that I can't be bothered to dig out. They use the terms and give some definition to them. It's not odd for a tester to make a judgement call on loads of things related to the degree of wear of various components.

Major news is that I've finally been able to pay for the car! Seller insisted on Western Union, which I've not used before. I pestered him again and again for details before we left the UK, thinking I should at least send a deposit. He never gave me the details.

I spent considerable time at his house trying to make the payment work, only to discover that it takes two days for the payment to go through. Oh, and it restricted the amount I could pay!

Eventually got it sorted, but he's been mithering that the money hasn't come through - pretty much during the whole of our trip back. Turns out he misunderstood how it works, but all is now good. I've paid £947 for the car via two payments, which included the spares, road tax and insurance for a month.

Total costs of the trip will need adding up at some point, but if we average £50 per night for accommodation, and about £40 for fuel every day, you get a good idea.

Not sure if it was there as a result of this mega-collection trip, but I have just passed a narrow boat on the Grand Union Canal near Grafton Regis, with a 'Hub Nut'' sticker in its window... :-)

I really do need to order a HubNut sticker.

This post gets better by the day. I doubt there will be any other contenders for the post of year unless some daft twat tries to drive a Routemaster back from Sri Lanka.

Safe journey, as for Austria or Italy, which coppers are going to get the biggest surprise when they pull a Romanian reg car and find two of the UK's finest citizens in it ?

https://www.facebook.com/RoutemasterAssociation/posts/1961243830617285

I think I found DW/Catsinthewelders "support vehicle"  :mrgreen: (complete with inspirational music...)