Odd Looking and Odd Cylindered Beast from the Far East | Fucking Rubbish

overrun

I never knew about pre 1980 cars requiring not test. It explains a few things!

It's pure coincidence that I drive such shite!

It was a rolling 30 on the test, but that got knocked on the head in 2010. It may get going again because EU testing directive. 3-wheelers and motorcycles aren't tested either, well not yet. Think  it's coming in 2022 or something.

The 'fun' continues, with another essential:

Screenshot_20170112-182141_zpszda9bf4e.p

:shock:

£25 from eBay sounds much better. Plus £20 courier, but still well worthwhile.

20170112_144207_zpswce34qah.jpg

20170112_144155_zps8uw23dll.jpg

Barely used, still has the stickers and price on the back. 8) Judging by them, this 'carbox' company seems to supply the dealers.

Perfect for wet and sticky dogs and the like.

A mate of mine is on his second Sanyo Rectum. He runs them exclusively on veg, but has ended up plumbing all kinds of weird and wonderful things in to make it work, heat exchangers and separation things all very complicated, but other than smelling like a chippy it appears to run perfectly. He recycles used veg oil he collects from chip shops, if his garden shed ever goes up in flames it'll take half the estate he lives on with him.

I was speaking recently to an MGR engineer who worked on the anglicised version of this car; it would have been the GS before the GS (except it would have had towing and off road ability). 

Seems like a bit of a weapon. Enjoying this thread. 

Some info for you, a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe boot mat fits a 75 saloon perfectly*

I had a 405 estate with a full length load liner, it was great.

I like boot liners.

nob_van has a full length load liner. If I do some HARDCORE PARTS SOURCING I'll transfer it over to the beige rage - after all, nob_van is just a 305 estate with its rear doors and windows blanked off. 

Useless fact - The alarm on these was an importer fit, during which I believe the original factory control known as the 'Dog' was hidden under the centre console.

Aye, it has the same Cat 1 Cobra going on as my MR2 (import). At least it is piss easy to program another fob. I did the spare in about 10 seconds.

I can't see the fob override probe thingy in this car, though. Not that it matters, as I don't have the probey key thing - if it is even meant to be present.

I assume it was much the same with the radios. There doesn't seem to be a factory unit? I am thinking it will have been a similar story to the N15 Almera etc, where they came over with none, and the dealer fitted whoever they had a deal with (mostly Clarion or Sony).

The Dog is a great name, and it explains the RCL button on the key. Shame it wasn't up to spec for UKDM y0 cars. Does it bark?

A mate of mine is on his second Sanyo Rectum. He runs them exclusively on veg, but has ended up plumbing all kinds of weird and wonderful things in to make it work, heat exchangers and separation things all very complicated, but other than smelling like a chippy it appears to run perfectly. He recycles used veg oil he collects from chip shops, if his garden shed ever goes up in flames it'll take half the estate he lives on with him.

Fuck all that. I will use SVO or properly filted WVO and keep on top of servicing. Fair play to him, though!

Here's another cheap "Power Nostril" Rectum:

s-l1600.jpghttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSANGYONG-REXTON-2-9-SE-/112272983775?hash=item1a23fdc6df:g:AWIAAOSwt5hYfnhN

It has "issues", but don't we all?

Ssexy! What a desirable* beast! Floor mats AND an owners manual?! WANT.

I went to look at a 270 common fail jobber that was at a dealership (just for a poke around) and that one was also stuck in 2WD. He reckoned the Ssingsong main stealer couldn't/wouldn't access the 4WD system with their diagnostic gear. The speedo also didn't work.

The two problems could be related IMO, maybe something as simple as the VSS is at fault on both cars?

The transfer box is engaged via a solenoid valve and motor and apparently it has external rubber (vacuum?) hoses and these can become damaged, which will not allow it to select, either.

Could be an easy and cheap fix!

I was speaking recently to an MGR engineer who worked on the anglicised version of this car; it would have been the GS before the GS (except it would have had towing and off road ability). 

Seems like a bit of a weapon. Enjoying this thread. 

That's interesting. I could almost picture these rocking a Morris Garages hexagon of pride.

I need to put it to work, towing. I am very interested to see how that feels.

nob_van has a full length load liner. If I do some HARDCORE PARTS SOURCING I'll transfer it over to the beige rage - after all, nob_van is just a 305 estate with its rear doors and windows blanked off. 

Boot liners for all! (I need a better/sturdy high sider for my Mondeo)

I assume it was much the same with the radios. There doesn't seem to be a factory unit? I am thinking it will have been a similar story to the N15 Almera etc, where they came over with none, and the dealer fitted whoever they had a deal with (mostly Clarion or Sony).

Japanese FM frequencies are miles out from UK ones. A JDM head unit would be near useless in the UK without modification.

Japanese FM frequencies are miles out from UK ones. A JDM head unit would be near useless in the UK without modification.

Aye, but loads of stuff is built in Japan etc and intended for the UK market, so has the necessary FM band.

You want a JDM Off, brah?! Rank: KPGC10 :lol:

You need a frequency expander for JDM head units m9, trust me.

Not if you enjoy* Radio Quiet (R2) as Japanese FM tuners run 76Mhz-90Mhz/95Mhz.

The frequency expander isn't totally necessary if you hack it open, check the radio IC, switching diodes and a few coils to see what is what. Modern chips have all the bandplans in them, they just need a small amount of internal work.

I've got a couple of old Volvo OEM radios of the digital display PLL tuner variety. A 2p diode sorts NA-spec ones out to handle EU FM frequency range and steps. The old-school Pioneers I have are a pain in the hole, one chip does US/Japan. A different chip is in the EU spec models.

Been doin some load luggin. Truckasaurus Rex took it all in it's stride. :-)

You may recognise the ex-alcyonecorporation and now filthy john 940. Or is it a 960?

Collected from Captain Slow_Towers, earlier today.

20170126_134123_zps0vtboocf.jpg

20170126_142415_zpsdt7t8w9z.jpg

It was great to meet you and your eclectic collection, mate and your land.

All of the land.

Shame that alcygong wasn't around, maybe next time!

(This trailer sorely needs hole sawing to provide further tie down points for the wheel straps, but we managed.)

• 4 weeks later...

Did some shuffling about on Monday. (Only two wheel straps as I wasn't traveling more than 4 miles. Car is a bit far back, too...)

20170220_124724_zpsylshlnae.jpg

Where I am standing is the exact spot that the gearbox on my black turbo gave up the ghost, after the CV smashed a hole in it last July. The stain is still there!

20170220_125838_001_zpsyhzs2kaq.jpg

This thing is so nice. It will be off to a new home once I have some time for it (and it is resprayed).

20170220_140656_zpsatuxq20u.jpg

Time to put this TuRD out of its misery.

20170220_131033_zpsyrsyjdma.jpg

20170220_130915_zps1gi62pny.jpg

Man, those body kit bits etc are nasty. 'Hollywood' did have black and blue Advan SA3R;s on it, but I threw those grey shitters on, as the others had a puncture.

Being red and a tin top really suits these. From the front they remind me more of a Ferrari than the daft wannabe kits.

New winch set up:

20170220_132322_zpsek2hjoim.jpg

It would be fine if the fucking winch wasn't made from chocolate! Old one, complete with comedy piss-weak bracket came in handy.

And a bit more related...

20170220_150527_zpswsq9ce0g.jpg

Zoom in for the drops on the ground. Sexy Rexy appears to have a leaking fuel tank!

Before buying it I noticed the tank was a little damp on the underside, but matey claimed ignorance to this, his driveway wasn't stained, nor the road outside, and it has never leaked in our ownership. Not until maybe a fortnight ago. I noticed a patch on the ground in the parking bay it is kept in, but forgot about it.

It's a fair bit bigger, now!

I'll smash it over my uncle's pit tomorrow, and see the state of play. Hoping for perished fuel hoses not liking veg, but not too optimistic.

Tanks are a fortune. Like £400. I have been looking at the kit that Frost sell, for liquid lining the inside of tanks and filling pin holes etc.

One less on the road... (good for values lol)

20170221_222907_zps7l5mldfm.jpg

20170221_222919_zpslakdli08.jpg

20170221_222926_zpsjdrg6ygd.jpg

20170221_173516_zpsijl4jr8y.jpg

Best not mix up the bearing caps!

Pleased with my progress. Hope to have it gutted of everything useful and a few more things within the week, then the shell can go off and become a fridge in Hong Kong or something.

Once over the pit and with my heed up in the chassis, it became apparent where the leak originates. The fuel sender.
So it wasn't really leaking when not running, just dripping down from the bowl of liquid it had formed on top of the plate.

20170222_153645_zpsfm7ccfup.jpg
A bit crispy, as expected!

20170222_154048_zpsrua5vegm.jpg
Scraped the shite off with a socket set as it was in the boot. Cleaned the area with brake cleaner. It's never gonna be mint lol.

Screenshot_20170223-144834_zps3l6jhzrt.p

Yep, there's your problem. Showed itself immediately after starting the engine. This must have been pissing out.
20170222_165901_zps0aw5bw5n.jpg
20170222_165834_zpsxrn3zquw.jpg

I hope this holds, senders are basically NLA. I would have preferred to use chemical metal, but I am not keen on rubbing back the affected areas, for fear of further perforation or worse.

It is leak free, 24 hours later. I'll keep an eye on it and my fingers crossed!
The tank doesn't look too bad to drop if need be, and I reckon I could mod the sender unit if it comes to it.

• 2 months later...

Sexy Rexy just keeps on truckin! With the bonus of it sounding like a Peterbilt and smelling of success. :-)

Dragged me S2 RST home today, to cut storage down to one space instead of two, and so I can get shot of it. It's all there and it's a good one, but I have no interest in it.

20170428_124024_zps6ivgfbzq.jpg

20170428_124038_zpskdlo5fa1.jpg

Ignore the ghetto strapping. We were just putting them back on, after inflating the tyres.

My MR2 turbo currently lives on the trailer, thus reducing my storage to a single space:

20170428_142329_zpswxpwpqna.jpg

20170428_142315_zpsajxwqepa.jpg

Not a problem, I have had two other MR2 turbo's on there, and with the trailer arches hinged down, the door clears the trailer tyre...

Not this one!

20170428_142142_zpsuafieiey.jpg

I had to squeeze out of the window, with my mate pulling my legs!

The car is running the standard black Billstein's and has Apexi springs, which as you can see are not silly low.

So this was unexpected.

I'll have a helper stick a jack under the subframe, or winch it on, next time. Lolz.

You know what, as the escape attempt was made with the bed horizontal, and we both never stopped laughing from the moment I seemed stuck, until I was free, we never attempted to tilt the bed to clear the door...

That is whqt running on very little sleep will do to you, I guess.

Luckily that was the last job of the day, and I felt fine during the (short) drives.

I will fit this beast when I next get time:

20170428_195901_zpsle1hudnd_edit_1493406

It is a 2500lb OE Brian James winch, with 8mm cable on a 6mm bracket. That aintt going nowhere.

I bought it direct from the winch maker (Dutton-Lainson), though.

I may be stupid enough to get trapped in a car, but I'm not that stupid! :D

You probably know this, but there are many many many of these being broken here for peanuts; I have my eye on the 2.9 that's on donedeal at the moment; lovely spec 2.9, owner died when it was 18 months old and shed parked but driven weekly; it started at ridiculous money but is slowly getting more reasonable

That bricked up church hall intrigues me in one of your pics; I've renovated two in the last few years and have a serious gra for their history; is it Methodist or Baptist do ye know? (I ask because they often had common designers, designed to a style; whereabouts is it?)