Odd Looking and Odd Cylindered Beast from the Far East | Fucking Rubbish

overrun

Oooh, only in Morpeth too.

Tempted! I love those, and I love them even more knowing it'll be a 5 cylinder turbo diesel with a Bosch pump!

They are mad. I totally forgot about them. The front looks like a speed boats hull!

Same motor as mine, and presumably same gearbox. Get it buyed. :-)

I think thats amazing. What more could you want for a grand?!

I bet you could hop in that, pull a speedboat down to lake Tanganika, get out for a walk to stretch your legs, then get back in and drive home. I bet us eats up the miles with maximum posterior comfort.

Shame it looks like a Ford Ka's abusive stepfather though.

MODZ:

20170103_153730_zpsi6exuzeg.jpg

20170103_145719_001_zpstnmqlarr.jpg

20170103_145942_zpspmulwewo.jpg

All in good order here

20170103_151828_zpszf77opq8.jpg

Both were full of water

20170103_161110_zpshzrdxed9.jpg

Ah, that explains it

At least they were wired through a relay

20170103_150946_zpsrjcy1xyi.jpg

Be gone!

An essential was installed:

20170103_151705_zpsenrsgabl.jpg

d20170103_151717_zpsukwzenus.jpg

Mr Jikovron was back in the hood, due to work, so we caught up and headed into hillbilly territory, to do some exploration.

We found a couple of interesting looking green lanes, but darkness/wilderness/one vehicle/no winch etc meant we didn't venture too deeply into them.

Then we found something of a road that looked passable...and it was, until the tracks became deeper/central ridge became higher, and despite cautious going, the OSR wheel fell off the ridge.

20170105_224321_zpseuytrwuu.jpg

We assessed the situation, and following a couple of failed 4L manoeuvres ( is that the right spelling? I used to be good at this :[ ) it was decided we dig some of the central verge out.

Luckily there were a couple of short fence posts right next to us, and even luckier, an entire sturdy farm gate, just propped against a pylon!

We had no tools, it doesn't even have a wheel brace atm. All we had was the bar for winding down the spare.

Ron was a legend at hacking the ground away, as I stood there on phone torch duty with my dodgy back.

Earth was moved, gate inserted, to act as traction and something of a ramp to climb back onto the central verge and luckily it worked!

20170105_230017_zpsvt02nipa.jpg

Scene of the crime: (we returned the undamaged gate)

20170105_231153_zpsffkmwobo.jpg

The only casualty:

20170106_115943_zps7mb5icif.jpg

I can live with that, given had we not succeeded, there wasn't an immediate Plan B!

You can see how close we were to being grounded:

20170106_120411_zpsjtn5kea5.jpg

See the tufts of earth on the diff? That is after I blasted all of the arches and underside etc off.

We also brushed off one of the towbar electric socket covers just prior to getting stuck, but I rescued that.

The diff is quite low, but plenty of these things still off road, and the towbar also gets in the way, butI will be sticking to the road for now, we just fancied a laugh lol.

She ticked over to 120K (on axle stands). That's just over 450 trouble free, (aside from my own fuck up) economical miles, since purchase.

20170106_003427_zpsh2hhacny.jpg

Ron would have got Apollo 18 back with half a broken gate and a lock winding handle. No doubt.

Sexy floormats! I bet they came in handy when you were out in the dirt dude. Great save all round I reckon, and a good job you binned those spots before they got dragged off.

4x4/10.

Ron would have got Apollo 18 back with half a broken gate and a lock winding handle. No doubt.

Sexy floormats! I bet they came in handy when you were out in the dirt dude. Great save all round I reckon, and a good job you binned those spots before they got dragged off.

4x4/10.

Yeah, it will be him and the cockroaches left after the big one, driving a Ssangyong. :-P

The mats are temp, don't wanna trash that beige (or it might be grey) carpet, now. I have my eye on a Rexton in the breakers opposite SOC's unit, hopefully I can acquire a few bits and bobs there, including some mats. Although I do much prefer rubbber ones.

Even the side steps came in handy lol. Agreed on the spots!

Like me, I am certain that all* of you* are very interested in the history of this fine company!

ìŒìš©ìžë™ì°¨ (SsangYong Motor Company to the layman) is the fourth largest South Korea-based automobile  manufacturer. It is a subsidiary of Indian multinational Mahindra & Mahindra Limited.

It means Double Dragon Motor Vehicles

double3.png

Come at me, bro!

SsangYong originally started out as two separate companies; Ha Dong-hwan Motor Workshop (established in 1954) and Dongbang Motor Co (established in 1962). In mid-1963, the two companies merged into Ha Dong-hwan Motor Co.

In 1964, Hadonghwan Motor Company started building jeeps for the US Army as well as trucks and buses. Beginning in 1976, Hadonghwan produced a variety of special purpose vehicles. After changing its name to Dong-A Motor in 1977, it was taken over by Ssangyong Business Group in 1986 and changed its name to SsangYong Motor In 1987, it acquired United Kingdom based specialty car maker Panther Westwinds.

Jolly exciting, I'm sure we can all agree.

The fascinating* insight continues, but basically they started using Benz Bitz and various badges were stuck onto various vehicles for various markets.

Like this one;

1998-Mercedes-Benz-Musso-201-7740840_1.j

But maybe not this one:

6912933482_b41ba43219_b.jpg

Or this one:

652fb2d5-0dac-4908-9c4f-b8233d792458.jpg

The foolish fools, removing their SSY badging for that tacky tri-pointed star.

Not me, hence a visit to the scrappy opposite Scary Old Cortina's unit. Which contained this:

20170107_113554_zpslnztqmxx.jpg

Which yielded the square root of fuck all, aside from the bonnet badge. w00p.

20170107_134155_zpsmykhl561.jpg

20170107_144941_zpsdhtcdsy8.jpg

8)

Shame, cos I need some more mudflaps (seems as though the 2.7 like this one in the yard doesn't have any as standard) would like OE floor mats, if decent, boot liner thingery, a rear reflector, all of the badges, a rear reflector, tool kit and the centre console, as mine is cracked.

If I can get anther for a fiver, why not?

Alas, the wood* in this machine was darker, shame, as that part was intact and already removed.

Given I was charged a FIVER for the badge, I am pleased I never bothered removing owt else! Clearly I was seen as some millionaire type, no doubt owing to the prestigious* Mercedes underpinnings.

SOC wasn't in either, otherwise I would have dropped by.

Another scrap yard was driven to with the promise of a second Rexton.

20 miles later I found it no longer existed, having being sold complete.

Take you eBay ad down, then! :roll:

I honestly actually really like this thing! But then I'm weird.

20161228_132850_zps7hzw6ppd.jpg

20161228_132856_zpska5tnn0o.jpg

I believe (from when I asked in a Volvo what these were), these are for mounting OEM dog guards.

Well Bought.

I think they are for the seat belts for the third row of seats! Maybe also a dog guard, though.

Cheers. :-D

Anybody know how bad the 270s are? Quite fancy one, but 290s are rare enough here and seem to be manual only; has to be an auto

They're priced in the 100s here; plenty of cheap Rodius too (fugly though)

Rodius's's are mental. Small wheel low 4x4 people carrier estate anyone?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332074845407post-5435-0-99126700-1483818722_thumb.png

Anybody know how bad the 270s are? Quite fancy one, but 290s are rare enough here and seem to be manual only; has to be an auto

They're priced in the 100s here; plenty of cheap Rodius too (fugly though)

I believe the 270 is reliable enough and a decent motor, mate. I haven't read any horror stories.

I noticed how cheap they are in Ireland, how bad is the tax?

Given I was charged a FIVER for the badge, I am pleased I never bothered removing owt else! Clearly I was seen as some millionaire type, no doubt owing to the prestigious* Mercedes underpinnings.

SOC wasn't in either, otherwise I would have dropped by.

Flip! Didn't you try to haggle?

You must have been down fairly early, I was at the autofactors arranging a transit starter motor.

I believe the 270 is reliable enough and a decent motor, mate. I haven't read any horror stories.

I noticed how cheap they are in Ireland, how bad is the tax?

Rapey. Pre-2008 - 2601cc to 2700cc: 12 months = €1,345. 6 months = €746. 3 months = €379.

I've seen on a few running as 5 seat commercials @€333 a year; I think it depends on your local tax office to a greater or lesser degree, my one seems okay but plenty aren't; interestingly managing to reclassify it increases the value at least 3 fold

The biggest surprise is you can buy a new one; a handy way to spend 35k if you ever suffer from a head injury or lose your marbles in another manner; they were actually slightly more than that new in 06/07

Flip! Didn't you try to haggle?

You must have been down fairly early, I was at the autofactors arranging a transit starter motor.

I never.

It was a chew on to even get that. I had left my tools in the car, as I just went in for a look, initially. So I had to go back out, and requested a price on the way past the 'office'. The girl had to ask a bloke, who had to ask another bloke.

I was careful when removing, so I didn't end up having to buy a bonnet. Plus, it was cold, so the double sided tape took some getting off, without ruining the badge. Never mind.

I think I was up there at about 11am, so must not long have missed you!

Rapey. Pre-2008 - 2601cc to 2700cc: 12 months = €1,345. 6 months = €746. 3 months = €379.

DINLT

I've seen on a few running as 5 seat commercials @€333 a year; I think it depends on your local tax office to a greater or lesser degree, my one seems okay but plenty aren't; interestingly managing to reclassify it increases the value at least 3 fold

The biggest surprise is you can buy a new one; a handy way to spend 35k if you ever suffer from a head injury or lose your marbles in another manner; they were actually slightly more than that new in 06/07

You boys sure do get a hard ride with tax,

I would never buy a new car, but I am glad that some people do!

I think that badge would have left in my pocket.

It usually would with me, but circumstances didn't allow, this time. :-(

Ah, but we're on 30 year rolling classic tax @€56 a year; it softens the sting if you're into the right cars and pre 1980 with no test requirement (handy place for yis to export complete rotbox shite to lol)

Nearly as soon as I'd posted that and went to watch a YouTube video, the advert was for the All New Rodent Rectum; I couldn't believe it, it actually looks worse than the old one; the bastard love child of the old one and a Kia Carens circa 2004; I'm still afraid to go looking at the list price

Ah, but we're on 30 year rolling classic tax @€56 a year; it softens the sting if you're into the right cars and pre 1980 with no test requirement (handy place for yis to export complete rotbox shite to lol)

Nearly as soon as I'd posted that and went to watch a YouTube video, the advert was for the All New Rodent Rectum; I couldn't believe it, it actually looks worse than the old one; the bastard love child of the old one and a Kia Carens circa 2004; I'm still afraid to go looking at the list price

That does take the sting out of it, somewhat. I never knew about pre 1980 cars requiring not test. It explains a few things!

Ssangyong sstyling ssucks!

The rest of the range almost make the front of this look handsome. :shock:  En route for this, I encountered a 65 plate Actyon Sport. :-)