Aaarrrggghhh FTP!!

Mr A Lawrence

When I was fitting the wheels to the vectra last week I did wonder why anybody uses locking nuts nowadays as wheel theft is'nt as common as it once was.

However, knowing the luck I have, if I did'nt refit them no doubt some theiving bastard would leave the car on railway sleepers.

The wheels on the Bentley sell for over 2 grand a set! Well, I say sell, that's what Flying Spares advertise them for (second hand) and seem to get often enough. But it has a weird locking centre cap with two keys and you remove the first lock and there's another underneath it!  It also has left hand threaded wheel nuts on the lhs so I reckon when/if they get nicked I'll end up with two wheels left on that side as no bugger knows what a  left handed thread is anymore.

Andy these are the locking wheel nuts that came off my S-type.

CIMG0770.JPG

CIMG0771.JPG

CIMG0773.JPG

CIMG0774.JPG

CIMG0775.JPG

CIMG0776.JPG

CIMG0777.JPG

CIMG0778.JPG

A code runs around the lock key:-McGARD 4.664.000 or A66A.000.

They are, or they certainly look like, ford locking wheel nuts I think (most likely as a lot of bits on the s-type are ford). They're exactly like the ones on my ka that have a little ford brochure with them.

I had a guy turn up at my garage once trying to get me to take the lockers off but despite being a nice bloke he slipped up and said he'd taken it to three other places who'd turned the work down plus he wanted no damage to the alloys.

I declined and asked another guy I knew if he wanted the work as he was always up for crappy jobs but even he said their a total nightmare.

That was an x-type though.

The gun is deffo the cause though, I ended up having to cut an alloy off my ML because of this very reason. It actually worked out cheaper to buy a 2nd hand wheel with OK tyre than any other method. Plus I'd wasted a whole day trying various high quality drills etc, hammering on smaller sockets, hammer and chisel, nothing would budge it.

After the wheel was removed I had visions of bad threads in the hub, needing re threading,massive Stilson wrench etc yet the stub came off finger tight and new wheel bolts screwed straight back in.

Proceeded to remove all other lockers and throw them away.

Those ones with the wiggly line around are 100% identical to the ones on my old Mondeo. Ford deffo used them, although they won't have been made specifically for Ford by McGuard so I bet they hawked them around every manufacturer.

Ford do use McGuard, as do several manufacturers but not JLR. I'm not counting X-Types which probably do now I think about it.

Those ones with the wiggly line around are 100% identical to the ones on my old Mondeo. Ford deffo used them, although they won't have been made specifically for Ford by McGuard so I bet they hawked them around every manufacturer.

exactly the same as the ones on my Merc.

The Jaguar nuts are absolutely shocking, just like the vast array of under designed/specified bits they use all over the cars.

Best fix (as even the ordinary nuts get water in between the chrome and the nut and are waiting to spite you on a cold and wet, windy night when you have a puncture) is to get them all off and replace them with better manufactured Toyota ones.  I'm pretty sure I was told when I got my first ones that they were off the Lexus, but a friend changed his a few months ago and the bag mentioned just about every Toyota you could think off, including the Aygo.

Difference is they are a 21mm head and you'll need to get a different wrench to sit in the boot, good news as you can launch that spindly, pressed metal tube that Jaguar supply with their prestige cars into the skip.

Andy these are the locking wheel nuts that came off my S-type.

attachicon.gifCIMG0770.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG0771.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG0773.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG0774.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG0775.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG0776.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG0777.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG0778.JPG

A code runs around the lock key:-McGARD 4.664.000 or A66A.000.

Their the wrong type, might be X type.

These are the S type er....type.

post-19687-0-04918800-1483201290_thumb.png

Thanks anyway.