Camembert flavoured Safrane - £6 a ticket - updated list page 7

RobT

Yep got a nice stash of Safrane bits(Phase 1)but all V6 but some parts are the same,forget dealers now,the parts are near non existant at dealers.

I really think the Safrane is a sleeper and shortly a good example will be collectable and near impossible to find in the U.K.

Its great to see its been giving you good service with no real issues,but if you need any parts give me a shout and I will see if I can help.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done a few road trips and had fun with this, but inevitably the itch for more chod has started up again (and has already been bought).

Details:

-MoT until 7th September

-73,700 miles

-Serviced 2,000 miles ago by a previous owner who was a Renault Master Technician. Is that akin to wizard status in French car circles or something?

-Spacious and comfortable with working cruise control for ease of waft.

-Reliable, believe it or not for a 24 year old automatic Renault. Or it has been for the 1,600 miles I've done in it. DISCLAIMER - this may not be the case for the new owner...

-Reasonable economical for a big 2 litre pez auto. 34mpg on a run and 29mpg around town.

The not so good bits:

-Some groaning noises from the front end at slow speed when on lock. There was an advisory for the OS inner tie rod ball joint so it could be that.

-New centre and rear exhaust sections three months ago but the rear one is making noises already, like a baffle is gone or something. Noise is intermittent and is better than the old one which had holes in it.

-Automatic gearbox warning light of doom goes on and off at random. There's no discernible difference in how it drives, so I've just put it down to French electrics and ignore it.

-It has cut out on me a couple of times in the past few weeks when starting. Re-starting with a blip of the throttle seemed to sort it.

-Various giffer dents and scratches.

-Heater is rubbish on very cold days. These early Safranes had heater ducting made of cardboard apparently i.e. bog rolls, and it degrades over time.

-Salvage marker on the V5 so has probably been a Cat C at some point as they're worth nowt, and I have noticed the driver's door is newer than the passenger one (door badge is Vi whereas the correct NS rubbing strip shows as RT).

The money shots.

post-5013-0-98356100-1493493121_thumb.jpeg

post-5013-0-95978200-1493493178_thumb.jpeg

post-5013-0-55353600-1493493200_thumb.jpeg

Jacque Chirac approved levels of rear leg room

post-5013-0-83436100-1493493325_thumb.jpeg

Vast load space with the seats down.

post-5013-0-12424200-1493493369_thumb.jpeg

I will miss it but can't keep 'em all.

Hnnng. If only I was a bit more experienced with my driving (i.e. not at a stage where a 2 litre auto would wreck me), I'd be all over it. Oh that and the absolute zero space I have, even with the blue BX on the way out. 

Good luck with the sale. I bet it's incredibly comfortable, 90s high spec Renaults are lovely inside.

• 2 months later...

Right Ho, time to move this on as I'll be buying something else this week and could do with the funds.

Details are further up the page on this post

http://autoshite.com/topic/26674-camembert-flavoured-safrane-%C3%80-vendre-%C2%A3300/page-5?do=findComment&comment=1215016

I'd trust it to go anywhere, and did consider taking it to France next week but will probably take the Astra again. I'm not anticipating huge interest but hopefully I can get 300 quids worth of tickets sold.

Cheers!

1 .

2 .

3 . aldo135

4 . eddyramrod

5 .

6 .

7 . bramz7

8 .

9 . The Moog

10 . skattrd

11 .

12 . alcyonecorporation

13 . aldo135

14 . carlo

15 .

16 . drum

17 .

18 . jollyfkr2

19 .

20 . NorfolkNWeigh

21 . alcyonecorporation

22 . Rave

23 . egg

24 .

25 . NorfolkNWeigh

26 .

27 . hpi_matrix

28 . eddyramrod

29 .

30 . NorfolkNWeigh

31 .

32 .

33 . barefoot

34 .

35 . The Moog

36 .

37 .

38 . phil_lihp

39 . skattrd

40 .

41 .

42 .

43 . drum

44 .

45 . jollyfkr2

46 .

47 . dean36014

48 .

49 .

50 . egg

51 .

52 .

53 .

54 .

55 . angle

56 .

57 .

58 .

59 .

In honour of he Safranes glorious predecessors I'll take numbers 30, 20 and 25 please.

I see this as the perfect French Roadtrip car for this summer, I was looking for a German rear wheel drive, manual estate. This fits the bill splendidly.

Should do the job no bother.  Depending on your load it should be big enough, although you may have to develop a strategy to zone out the noise of the cheap replacement exhaust...thankfully it's intermittent.

I've been looking for a V6 phase 1 Safrane for quite a while (I think this thread even was my reason to register here). I would call one my own now if the seller wouldn't have been such a gigantic moron (as is often the case for cars of this price range...). Thats why I ended up with the Senator, I still have a craving for this obscure french barge though, wish yours had a bigger engine!