Camembert flavoured Safrane - £6 a ticket - updated list page 7

RobT

I went to Norfolk today and collected this gallic lovely.

post-5013-0-84654600-1482351843_thumb.jpg

The logic* behind the purchase was I wanted something to waft around in over the Christmas period whilst the Jag is broken (fixing that can wait). Common sense said get a cheap Merc C180, but my brain isn't wired that way. I wish it was sometimes!

As indicated by the thread title it's an automatic, 2 litre RT, and most of the electrics seem to work. Even though the seller told me the gearbox warning light comes on and the voice synthesiser indicates the 'box is in safe mode, I still went for it, so I must be insane. However, it drives fine and Synth also told me the brake lights are out when they're not so I'll take my chances at 250 quid. Steers and handles really well for a big lump, similar to a 25 I reckon, but with a slightly firmer ride.

The 120 mile journey home wasn't without incident. Before hitting the M25 I stopped for a piss and it refused to start. Turned over and spluttered but then died. I left it 5 minutes, tried again but nothing. Convinced it was fucked I called the recovery and typically it fired up when he arrived. The guy said the battery terminals were loose which might not have helped, but it was good to go so I went. He asked what was I doing buying a Safrane, so I was expecting some monologue about shit old cars, but he was a Renault perv himself having a phase 1 Espace Quadra. Who've thought it!

Anyway, a few more pics. It needs a wash.

post-5013-0-74100400-1482355274_thumb.jpg

A sanitised version of the 25s hooded dash.

post-5013-0-49066400-1482355320_thumb.jpg

It took me a few seconds to work out the heater controls. Where are the buttons?

post-5013-0-37410600-1482355383_thumb.jpg

Aah, flip the flap.

post-5013-0-60515100-1482355414_thumb.jpg

Lovely , one of those is on my bucket list . Are they as wafty as they look?

It's very wafty. Steering is light but not too much, and rides lovely even on the rubbish roads around here. Cabin is quiet bar the odd trim rattle, and the engine isn't intrusive even if you have to rev it a bit sometimes to get it shifting.

WUD RECKOMEND, if you can find one. I read somewhere that the gearboxes aren't the issue, it's the oil cooler that's the cheesy but obviously crucial bit. Not sure if that's true, Nigel B might be best placed to answer that one!

It's very wafty. Steering is light but not too much, and rides lovely even on the rubbish roads around here. Cabin is quiet bar the odd trim rattle, and the engine isn't intrusive even if you have to rev it a bit sometimes to get it shifting.

WUD RECKOMEND, if you can find one. I read somewhere that the gearboxes aren't the issue, it's the oil cooler that's the cheesy but obviously crucial bit. Not sure if that's true, Nigel B might be best placed to answer that one!

Isn't it stuffed under one of the front wheelarches or suchlike?

Quality. You can't beat a Safrane, the wrong trims though? They look OK to be fair, the chances of finding the originals will be slim I guess.

That is exactly the same year, model and colour that I stuffed on the Princess Parkway Manchester in 1996. I was delivering it to "Celebrity" Radio Manchester DJ and Granada Motor show star Eamonn O'Neal after it had it's Auto box repaired (surprise surprise). Could it be the same one?

Isn't it stuffed under one of the front wheelarches or suchlike?

The AA bloke said it's buried behind the rad fans or something. I can't see it that's for sure. There's no ATF dipstick either. The manual simply tells you to 'consult your Renault dealer'...

Have got experience with these as i'm on my 2nd, a '95 2.2vi phase one. Great cars and almost always reliable.

The trans lines underneath rot out and you'll only know about it when the box goes bang.

I strongly recommed changing the trans fluid and filter as on my phase one 2.5td auto the fluid was thick, black and came out like treacle. Renault class the AD8 box as sealed for life but its very wise to ignore this.

Although Renault no longer stock the autobox filter, i got mine from jpat near bristol. They are top guys and a wealth of knowledge. I think i paid £30 including the very necessary thick rubber gasket.

http://www.jpat.co.uk/2013_Cat_Renault.html

Top sh*tting by the way, i almost bought this when it was on ebay ages ago but the prospect of having a third old car on the drive, let alone a 3rd safrane was starting to fray the wifes nerves!

Won't tell her about whats in my mothers garages then

post-5607-0-23726500-1482365301_thumb.png