Land Rover resto - new project and Sandy p25

richardthestag

thanks folks for you interest and kind words.

to answer some of the questions.

yes

of course

not really

yes

sorry but it was me trying to be funny

:D

Since redundancy I have set up a limited company to cover me doing this stuff full time.

Logistically I cannot move to the south West as much as I would love to, Mrs says no and her parents are aged and live local to us in High Wycombeshite

so at the moment I work 2 weeks down in Devon bolting bits to the car and two weeks at home reconditioning small parts that I can ferry between the two sites.

decades of project management helps me with some of the forward planning and I am never bored or have nothing to do.

So I am here in Devon now for 2 weeks. in that time I need the engine in the car and get it running. Hope to be able to drive it for the first time.

I want to have a go at getting that diesel engine running for nowt but shits and giggles.

I am bolting together some youtube reviews of the stuff I have been doing.

My channel is here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuPaTTqVo_Tw0_4ypXxY0lQ

Here is a review of the bobtail that I knocked up today. shit editing and basically me talking while videoing the car

I have been stalking this thread for a while and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that video :)

I know pretty much fuck all about the technical details of range rovers so it was very interesting to learn all the details mixed in with just the right bit of comedy/comedic swearing for good affect  :mrgreen:

I have subscribed to your channel and look forward to the reviews on the other Range rovers you have hauled home :)

Really enjoyed that video. Interesting how in spite of the bobtailing, a limited life of offroading may have actually helped preserve the rest of it?

That went through my head too. As much as its a shame it got bobfucked at all, it probably got properly washed after every session so avoided the rot spots being filled with road dirt and rotting away.

It'll be a minter by mid April!

Just watched the video walk around of the bobtail. Frankly, I was horrified to see the amount of work needed before there is any value in it. Good to learn that you are trained in project management, as you will certainly need those skills.

Just a comment on using a polytunnel to protect it. North Devon is a severe weather area, and as someone who has lived here for 35 years, you need to be prepared for the very worst case of wind you can imagine. (Lol).  You need to make sure that the polytunnel is very securely anchored to the ground, and is made from the best quality plastic.

I admire your optimism and "lets get this done" attitude. Its all doable and I am sure you will make some great cars out of what others would see as pure scrap. Good luck to you.

That went through my head too. As much as its a shame it got bobfucked at all, it probably got properly washed after every session so avoided the rot spots being filled with road dirt and rotting away.

It'll be a minter by mid April!

pretty much that but also, loads of early Range Rovers (which are all pre 1973) were vin raped to allow newer cars to enjoy free VED. Yeah thanks for that Gordon Brown.

Sadly loads of 1970-1972 range rovers were destroyed as a result of this practice. Similar shenanigans occur in Landie series and Stag worlds.

So with this car, someone found something half decent when they were worth fuck all. then fucked it over and abandoned it in a shed when they got bored with it and before they trashed the rare bits... too much.

Of every 5 cars I was looking at 4 were not of the age they were supposed to be. I can spot a ringer from a mile off now. 

Going out now to make videos of the other 3.

Watch this space

Just watched the video walk around of the bobtail. Frankly, I was horrified to see the amount of work needed before there is any value in it. Good to learn that you are trained in project management, as you will certainly need those skills.

Just a comment on using a polytunnel to protect it. North Devon is a severe weather area, and as someone who has lived here for 35 years, you need to be prepared for the very worst case of wind you can imagine. (Lol).  You need to make sure that the polytunnel is very securely anchored to the ground, and is made from the best quality plastic.

I admire your optimism and "lets get this done" attitude. Its all doable and I am sure you will make some great cars out of what others would see as pure scrap. Good luck to you.

know all about them storms, had a dancover tent which survived two winters. 

tunnel will be heavy duty and will be anchored and also roped to the hulks. 

Funnily enough we were talking today about inflatable tennis court covers. welsh sports facility invested in one. first storm and it relocated itself 100yards and on top of a school. turned out it was built for an average wind speed for Germania and not these somewhat more drafty isles

so onto the second two cars. a 1971 and a 1972 car. Maybe I should have coordinated the delivery in vin plate /age related order but there you go. :D

two of the cars I have bought were at Solihul on the same day, probably within sight of each other they are that close. more later

shipley didnt get to chez fathathestag until 9:30 last night. celebratory curry was delayed until tonight.

finished at 11 last night with unloading and dragging into the field, this morning looked a bit like this

post-3439-0-32835600-1546794589_thumb.jpg

decided to tow them into field and tarp them up. before then though did a couple of videos which will be on youtube shortly.

recorded engine, gearbox and axle numbers for my info and also what bits I need to get in order to rebuild.

red car first, which is actually Tuscan blue originally, 2300 ish off the line and k reg.

Axles, engine and gearbox original since new

post-3439-0-07109800-1546794748_thumb.jpg

rear end of chassis though is rotted to an epic scale. might be a new chassis as I tend to patch chassis when they need local repair and not half of a new chassis

post-3439-0-83537400-1546794756_thumb.jpg

happy with it though. still

post-3439-0-95760700-1546794761_thumb.jpg

now onto the other. which was an absolute bastard to get into the field because steering. found out why today.

yep that is going to affect turning circle more than comedy tyres

post-3439-0-46735900-1546795052_thumb.jpg

so clearly Bahama Gold, original axles, gearbox and engine. BUT rusty to a level that I am surprised it has survived.

post-3439-0-31101700-1546795104_thumb.jpg

walnut shells. all sorts of rodent and squirrel (they are rodents are they not?) activity

post-3439-0-49371900-1546795109_thumb.jpg

webasto sunroof and evidence of a beige vinyl roof to complement the yellow/gold paint

post-3439-0-50084000-1546795113_thumb.jpg

boot floor, like the rest of the floors is just not there really

post-3439-0-35908000-1546795119_thumb.jpg

this might be at the tail end of the queue

post-3439-0-49576600-1546795124_thumb.jpg

however the chassis number is 30 odd from the Diesel motor in my post above.

they are now tarped up next to each other..

post-3439-0-05923500-1546795619_thumb.jpg

Am I going soft or what?

cheers chaps

post-3439-0-39533500-1546795635_thumb.jpg

thoroughly enjoyed the latest 2 videos over a nice cup of hot chocolate :)

it was very interesting to see how the glass uses the same style of date coding that many lightbulbs use (ie a series of dots and dashes some times over certain letters)

and speaking of Lightbulbs, IIRC they do make Halogen sealed beam lamps, might be an option if you want some originality but to keep H4 performance :)

its also interesting to see how #2 has a diesel engine in it, why might someone want to replace a V8 with a 4 pot diesel in a range rover? 

its still very weird to hear "1972" and "Range rover" for some reason I always considered classic range rovers as fairly modern cars, I had no idea until relatively recently they went so far back, and seeing the early ones complete with white on black number plates is trippy :)

Fantastic bit of retirement time-occupation planned there….. they look a sorry but worthwhile bunch (quote from many an AS meet I reckon) and if the previous pages are anything to go by you'll have a bloody good following.

I'll also step in and say thanks - the pointers and info from the pages here have saved me from several absolute horror shows I've looked at. I WILL own an early 2door one day - but I'm very wary of the potential disasters since reading here. Much appreciated.

Onward and upward chap - there's rot awaiting! Tally Ho and chodspeed!

spot on mr Hooli.

Also bear in mind that an early low compression 3.5 v8 on strommies struggles on fuel economy. like low teens sort of struggle.

lobbed up another two sweary walkarounds of the two 1972 cars. these two cars are exactly 26 commission numbers apart. how about that then!

and 

getting on with engine build and fit on the project car today.

EXCEPT, cannot find the new spigot bush that locates gearbox input shaft into the crankshaft. ordered another for delivery tomorrow.

Engine is going in tomorrow and hopefully start it up by end of this week

I hate January almost as much as I hate December. been back on the project since Tuesday and while I thought I had done bugger all due to motivation challenges the photos would appear to contradict me.

Could have done more I must say.

Milestone to get engine started has been delayed mainly because recon starter motor is at home 200 miles away. never mind plenty of other stuff to do.

Are you sitting comfortably, then let us start

video on the 4th project is now on youtube, this one is a 1971 car but on a K plate because post August. It is just over 2000 cars off the production line

now that is done they are all tarped up in the field and waiting for a polytunnel to live in until I get around to them.

In the mean time they are a good source for little bits that might need to be "borrowed" or to see how bits bolt together. But I must be distracted no more by them.

shims arrived so I could get them installed and sort the hydraulic lifter preload on the engine.

post-3439-0-47100200-1547383880_thumb.jpg

Then hit my first challenge. New CAM = different bolt size. Old cam had a UNF threaded bolt. New Cam has a fine Metric thread. For the sake of a £2 fucking bolt why not supply it with the camshaft I ask myself. This and hunting for bits became a theme for this week. As a result I am much more organised now than I was on Tuesday.

post-3439-0-44328500-1547383881_thumb.jpg

found the timing cover and waterpump bolts and installed those, and then the whole cover to the engine when CAM bolt arrived next morning from Land Rover parts counter

post-3439-0-51352700-1547383882_thumb.jpg

fitted new coreplug to the oil gallery on the end of the camshaft

post-3439-0-55744700-1547383883_thumb.jpg

broken stud on exhaust manifold

post-3439-0-53288900-1547383884_thumb.jpg

lots of heat and a stud extractor had it out with minimum of fuss

post-3439-0-21005800-1547383885_thumb.jpg

it had some nasty welding on the back of it, no sign of a crack looking inside so I have no idea. used dremel to clean it up

post-3439-0-26620300-1547383886_thumb.jpg

lick of VHT black paint to smarten them up, ready to install except I have misplaced the bolts and have no locking tabs, ordered and expected on Monday. Also found a new source for zinc plated bolts n other shiny things. first test delivery received and am well impressed. https://www.margnor.co.uk/

post-3439-0-23791200-1547383887_thumb.jpg

while waiting for bits to arrive I finished off the hand/transmission brake. shoe pins which are pricey from LR are the same as those used for Stag rear drum brakes. And still an utter pita to fit without the fancy pliers tool. 

post-3439-0-32542600-1547384374_thumb.jpg

Fun fact on the sealed beam lamps you showed

especially considering the condition of the floors etc

Is I shit ye not but the Factory where those sealed beam lamps where probably made, now makes Weetabix  :mrgreen:

http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Documents/Factory%20-%20UK%20-%20Corby.htm

next up to remove old spigot/pilot bush from the crank and install a new one. silly not to as these are sacrificial and will wear.

old bush was removed with a slide hammer and an old bolt. tucked the flat of the bolt behind the bush ... fnarr and then tugged on the hammer. 3 taps and it was out. New bush is lubbed up and tapped in using a nylon hammer. after making sure that it was a snug fit on the gearbox input shaft

post-3439-0-79730300-1547384544_thumb.jpg

Next up, spent ages looking for the clutch alignment tool before guessing that it is at home. Bit of threaded rod and a couple of sockets later and I have made my own

post-3439-0-97749800-1547384545_thumb.jpg

which worked a treat. do yourself a favour though. do not bolt the clutch cover up tight yet as it will stop the clutch plate aligning itself a few thou onto the gearbox input shaft splines. I nip them up so there is a small gap between the clutch cover and the flywheel. enough to hold the clutch plate steady. Install the engine and when it goes onto the splines. slip the engine back off, torque the clutch cover up and then reinstall the engine safe in the knowledge that the clutch plate is now perfectly central.

post-3439-0-88507200-1547384546_thumb.jpg

engine leveller is at home also gah ffs, never mind two ratshit straps, one looped over the back and one over the front of the engine allowed me to level it up. enough. Then a socket on the crank bolt allowed me to turn over the engine and it slipped into place dead easily. Just need to find the bellhousing bolts and that'll be a job done then. Here it is at the finish, looking at the date stamps this is 22 hours later. I did find the bolts and they were exactly where they should have been. my brain just wasnt working. did have a massive clear up looking for them though

post-3439-0-46505700-1547384547_thumb.jpg

fitted up the handbrake and adjusted the drum, works beautifully now. but an arse to access.

post-3439-0-91190200-1547384547_thumb.jpg

Next day I found that the engine cover I fitted was an early one with the short pump gears. It had a high"er" volume kit fitted but wasnt great. I had another cover which I cleaned up and had to remove one broken stud which came out easily.

post-3439-0-50477500-1547384548_thumb.jpg

now fitted to the engine, at least now all the components match the engine number which should make maintenance easier in the future.

post-3439-0-08815600-1547384549_thumb.jpg

I robbed the power steering setup from the bobtail because I need to get a new set of hoses made up. Now have those :D also I was missing the bracket for mounting the pump to the front of the engine. I know it is robbing Paul to pay Peter but I need the bracket and pipes for this car right now.

post-3439-0-16319200-1547384550_thumb.jpg

next was to install the clutch slave and hydraulics. ah yes pushrod needs to attached to the release bearing arm, this one is a spare as it turned out to be an utter arse of a job. I was able to practice the technique of installing the pushrod and then clipping the nylon retainer into place. Quite a lot of swearing was involved here but in the end a screwdriver and a dab of grease did the job. Next time I will fit the pushrod before the engine goes back in

post-3439-0-14657800-1547384551_thumb.jpg

fatha thestags cat came to help

post-3439-0-12840300-1547385570_thumb.jpg

post-3439-0-63211600-1547385570_thumb.jpg

Also fitted up the alternator, inlet manifold and carbs. I have a piccy somewhere, it is all getting pleasingly together. 

Next day I found that the engine cover I fitted was an early one with the short pump gears. It had a high"er" volume kit fitted but wasnt great.

Interestingly (or not!) the high volume pump I installed on my original early cover had slightly taller gears than the OE later setup. Only by a mm or so, so unlikely to make much of a difference but enough to stop me fitting them to the later cover when I changed that!

Bt of a tangent but as AS's resident Rover V8 expert, do you know of a UK source of (cheap!) alternative rocker covers apart from the usual Rover types? Not so much to 'dress up' the engine, more to dress it down. I was thinking of fitting a pair of Buick steel covers, mainly just to fox anyone looking under the bonnet!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1971-Buick-V6-225-Jeepster-Commando-Valve-Covers/192724265476

P76 would do the trick as well but reckon I'd be lucky to find anything over here.

Interestingly (or not!) the high volume pump I installed on my original early cover had slightly taller gears than the OE later setup. Only by a mm or so, so unlikely to make much of a difference but enough to stop me fitting them to the later cover when I changed that!

Bt of a tangent but as AS's resident Rover V8 expert, do you know of a UK source of (cheap!) alternative rocker covers apart from the usual Rover types? Not so much to 'dress up' the engine, more to dress it down. I was thinking of fitting a pair of Buick steel covers, mainly just to fox anyone looking under the bonnet!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1971-Buick-V6-225-Jeepster-Commando-Valve-Covers/192724265476

P76 would do the trick as well but reckon I'd be lucky to find anything over here.

I found exactly the same, high"er" volume pump gears are nearly 2mm taller than the big gears. 

just means that if you need to replace the gears you need to buy a whole new kit at £90 + vat rather than the big gears for a standard post 76 cover which are nearer £30.

Car now has a post 76 cover on it which matches the engine number to save that confusion. I notice that Famous Four are supplying the smoll oil pump gears, might just try a set of those and do away with the adapter plate on the early engine cover.

Sorry but I have no idea on alternate rocker covers. I am looking for a set of covers for an early 70s engine so at least it looks the part, round corners and filler 2" or so back from the corner. everything on ebay has been powder coated which I do not want.

Also on the search for any engines number starting 355. 

Sorry but I have no idea on alternate rocker covers. I am looking for a set of covers for an early 70s engine so at least it looks the part, round corners and filler 2" or so back from the corner. everything on ebay has been powder coated which I do not want.

No worries, if I ever find some alternatives I will have a set of the early ones surplus to requirements. They seem to confuse some people looking at it anyway "Doesn't look quite like a Rover V8 to me" I have heard!