Volvo 740, interior headlining finished! Pg 23.

danthecapriman

That Omega is exactly the kind of car I wouldn't mind for myself - big auto estate, fits multiple adults, space for bikes, comfy... 

if it did happen to be £free/cheap I'd possibly probably be interested (especially if any of my current raft of job applications lead anywhere), but for some reason it's eligible for a telematics box (and a mileage monitoring one too), whereas an equivalent Scorpio wouldn't be, which is off putting.

That Omega is exactly the kind of car I wouldn't mind for myself - big auto estate, fits multiple adults, space for bikes, comfy... 

if it did happen to be £free/cheap I'd possibly be interested (especially if any of my current raft of job applications lead anywhere), but for some reason it's eligible for a telematics box (and a mileage monitoring one too), whereas an equivalent Scorpio wouldn't be, which is off putting.

Ive asked my sister to ask the Q about the Omega. Just waiting on a reply from her boyfriends family. I'm not sure though if, being a diesel it'll be an auto or not though?

Save the van! It looks like a Sprite Musketeer around a 1981 van. They are super vans.

Won't it be fucked by now? It looks like it's been sat years.

Still, the Volvo and the Omega both look like they've tow bars though so shifting it shouldn't be too hard! Not sure what the old bill would say though if you got stopped with that lot driving to a pre booked MOT!?

Those old CI vans were well built vans. As long as the awning rails have not let in any damp it should* be fine. Love these old Sprites, needs saving. What plate is on the van, might get an idea from that when it was last towed?

I can't see a plate in the photos so I'll check when I go to get to volvo. But, it's blocked in by the Wolseley and the tax on that expired in 1992! So I'd think there's a good chance it's been sat for a long time.

Just got some more pics of the Volvo.

OMFG look at the interior! This thing couldn't be more perfect!

34818401493_58542a2962_o.jpgIMG_0334 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35587831456_967e21a004_o.jpgIMG_0335 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35587831126_43ef18324d_o.jpgIMG_0336 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35627175815_5217bbc5a1_o.jpgIMG_0338 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

It's not perfect, I've noticed a few bits of bodywork that I want to address. There's a scuff to one rear arch and the sunroof lid has corroded but my old one was the same and I had the roof re sprayed to sort that.

It needs the battery changing and possibly the radiator replacing but I can do that where it is before moving it. I'd like to do the rad anyway as these autos have an ATF oil cooler in the coolant radiator which tend to leak into each other with old age which can kill the auto box.

I'm not likely to even see this before the new year now but I'm hell bent on having it and will start looking at ordering some parts.

Is that what the little black thing hanging out is? I assume that's some sort of battery charger or something?

Yep, it provides a quick connection to a Ctek smart charger (if it is what I think it is!).

Comfort indicator (great name):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002MT8S7E/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482176585&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=ctek+comfort+indicator&dpPl=1&dpID=41%2BfWA2b7eL&ref=plSrch

Type of charger it connects to:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FC42HAA/ref=pd_aw_sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S6MG9JB407B6Y18GF0YQ

With that number plate, I think the Ovlov should be called Mayhew.

That interior looks like a very, very comfortable place to be. They really got it right when they designed the interiors on these.

Sadly an E-plate 740 GLE saloon with the same interior has just been cubed at my local scrappers, which would have provided a mountain of spares for this one. Bumhats.

Great freebie! I bet the old girl will fire up with a new battery, because Swedish. That Wolselelyelyleeyyy looks likes it's been bloody well looked after until the old chap passed away. Rot spots in the limited photos look minimal for one of them. Interested to see where this goes.

I'm not expecting any drama trying to get it started tbh, aswell as their swedish quality they are very simple engines so there isn't really much that could cause issues.

The only thing I am expecting trouble with are the brakes. My last 740 and 240 were both pretty sensitive to being left sat unused, the callipers soon started sticking.

The Wolseley does look surprisingly solid, although if it has been outside a long time it's the underside I'd be concerned most about! It looks a nice little car though on the face of it. I'll try to have a good look over it when I go up to get the Volvo.

Looks fantastic,like the red strips on the bumpers too. Extra safety innit!

Did they all have those red and white reflective strips on the bumpers?

I expect on most they've fallen off by now but I've not noticed many of these ovlov's having them.

Here's my old saloon.

side_zpsb3ececb2.jpg

side4_zpseef75e6d.jpg

frontinterior_zps5f90f993.jpg

It was an 87 2.3 GLE auto in metallic gold with full black leather - like driving around in your living room it was that comfortable! It's probably the most comfortable car I've ever had.

Bought for £450 in 2006 and after a bit of tlc it was a superb car. This one had corrosion on the sunroof lid too and flaking lacquer on the roof so I even splashed out on it and had the whole roof and pillars rubbed down and sprayed. This one also had air con which you don't see very often on the 4 cylinder cars.

Always regretted selling it and I've wanted another ever since.

I'm sure those bumper stripes were a Volvo accessory but the vast majority seemed to have them fitted. White on the front and red on the back IIRC?

My brother had a brace of 740GLE saloons a decade ago, both manual although the earlier (1985) one had cloth and a normal 5 speed whereas the later (1990) one had leather and the 4 speed with overdrive. Both had buggered headlinings and speedos/fuel gauges of course. Good cars though, comfy and solid.

I'm sure those bumper stripes were a Volvo accessory but the vast majority seemed to have them fitted. White on the front and red on the back IIRC?

My brother had a brace of 740GLE saloons a decade ago, both manual although the earlier (1985) one had cloth and a normal 5 speed whereas the later (1990) one had leather and the 4 speed with overdrive. Both had buggered headlinings and speedos/fuel gauges of course. Good cars though, comfy and solid.

Mine had saggy headlining, it's a common fault. The foam disintegrates and the lining falls down away from the backing board. I used drawing pins in mine to pin it back up, gave it that luxury buttoned look! Mine was so bad it obscured the rear window and if the door window was down it used to flap in the breeze.

Fuel gauges are very common failures too, though it worked perfectly on the gold saloon above.

The electrics are probably the weakest link on these cars though.