Volvo 740, interior headlining finished! Pg 23.

danthecapriman

As many of you might have read on the grin thread and my thread about yank headlights on Volvo 740's, I should have acquired myself this one. I've just got a few pics of said Volvo pre rescue as it sits.

For those who don't know, it's an 88 740 estate in 2.3 auto GLE spec (my favourite!) which was owned by my sisters boyfriends grandad. He passed away this year and the cars just been sat unused since mid 2015.

The family are clearing the property and I was told the Volvo and others were going to most likely go for scrap. I said I'd take the Volvo and asked for a price only to be told I could have it!

The Wolseley 1300 apparently is already spoken for so hopefully that will be saved or at least donate some parts. The Volvo should become mine at some point but the caravan and Omega will probably get weighed in.

So here are the few pics I have to go on.

34818402863_fb406d7719_o.jpgIMG_0331 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

34818402463_0099da069f_o.jpgIMG_0332 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

34818403583_282a920fcd_o.jpgIMG_0329 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

34818426673_4cf5c900e5_o.jpgIMG_0333 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

The Volvo looks ok from the little I can see and having run an MOT history check it seems a good one. It's a low miler at 90k and seems to of only done a couple of thousand miles between tests. Most of the fails seem to be for stupid stuff.

So the plan at the moment will be to try to get it running and moving then try to get it back home. At the moment it's a 100 miles or so away.

To be continued...

Registration number: R553KMW

• Vehicle make VAUXHALL
  • Vehicle model OMEGA
  • Date first used 17 October 1997
  • Fuel type Diesel
  • Colour Silver

MOT history of this vehicle
  • Test date 16 July 2014
  • Expiry date 17 July 2015
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 166,893 miles
  • MOT test number 4974 6799 4193
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    Nearside Front Sub-frame rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Sub-frame rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Nearside Rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Offside Rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Offside Rear Vehicle structure has slight corrosion (6.1.A.1)
    Offside Vehicle structure has slight corrosion (6.1.A.1)

It is (out of test and on SORN) but be interested to hear about it and the caravan, please.

I shall make enquiries!

I'd imagine the family would just want the site clear tbh. I've no idea about details of the caravan though!

No promises at the moment though, I'd hate to let anyone down over it and bear in mind I've not seen any of these cars myself yet.

Great catch with the Volvo, that looks like a very fine example - doubly so with tan leather, I'd be really quite jealous.  Hope it doesn't need much doing.

Yes, I'd like to know too!
It's most likely a load of crap but it'd be nice to think there'd be a lovely old Austin Sheerline or something in there that's been sat since the 70's!

Better yet, an Aston DBS 6 that's been sat there since they were worthless in about 2002.

Same engine as the P38 RR, it responds well to chipping too.

What a pisstake it would be driving it to a prebooked MOT in Liverpool with a pikeywagon on the back  :-D

Someone on here's probably going to end up doing it.

Tbh I'm surprised there's so much interest in it. I didn't think they were that well regarded on here.

Interior is most likely to be leather as velour GLEs aren't common and it looks beige or Caramac. In saying that, Volvo did a bewildering range of interior colours on 700s so it could be anything!

Looks a good save though and if it's a decent one shouldn't require more than gentle recommissioning to see the road again. They're bad for seizing caliper sliders if left sat.

More pics PLZ when you take ownership.

Interior is most likely to be leather as velour GLEs aren't common and it looks beige or Caramac. In saying that, Volvo did a bewildering range of interior colours on 700s so it could be anything!

Looks a good save though and if it's a decent one shouldn't require more than gentle recommissioning to see the road again. They're bad for seizing caliper sliders if left sat.

More pics PLZ when you take ownership.

More velour that you think, light met blue and light met green had velour as standard, but as you say Volvo would build you anything your ordered with 12 weeks delivery. I sold them new at this time and had a 1986 blue/green 740 GLT inj standard leather build with black Trico plush, because there dog could not grip the leather. The worst colour combination I had build at a customers request was a 1990 760 GLE in solid Ivory with Caramac plush!

The other things that pack up though standing are fuel pump relays behind the ashtrays and fuel pumps, there are 2 of them.

It does look like leather of some kind in the pics. Velour or leather is fine with me but I do really really like the tan/caramac leather so fingers crossed it's that. In the rear view it looks like a tan coloured bit of boot trim through the back window.

My last saloon had black leather which was lovely. And I nearly got a metallic green estate a while back with green velour seats and green lower dash trim! It looked brilliant.

My saloon had air con too, I wonder if this one does as I think it's a fairly rare option.

The fuel pumps I know about. I had to fix one of these years ago in the garage. The underfloor one seemed to work but the in tank one was a right pain in the arse to sort out.

Hopefully it'll not be too bad since it's not been off the road all that long but I think it'll be worth the effort bringing back up to standard.