Volvo 740, interior headlining finished! Pg 23.

danthecapriman

I was thinking about this earlier, this Volvo is almost 30 years old now and they are starting to thin out a lot in numbers. Yet still they seem almost worthless.

This one is free FFS! Granted it's not roadworthy but it just seems a crime that they aren't more valued or respected as classics yet. I think they definitely deserve a bit.

I thought that the Volvo 740/760's time had come both when the flawed* buyer's guide book was published by Veloce and when an staff member of Practical Classics ran a Turbo Intercooler estate a few years back, but it turned out not to be the case.

I guess that like the Rover P6, they are destined to be the preserve of a select group of enlightened enthusiasts.

*I know more about the Volvo 700 Series than the author of that book. FACT.

I thought that the Volvo 740/760's time had come when the flawed* buyer's guide book was published by Veloce and when an staff member of Practical Classics ran a Turbo Intercooler estate a few years back, but it turned out not to be the case.

I guess that like the Rover P6, they are destined to be the preserve of a select group of enlightened enthusiasts.

*I know more about the Volvo 700 Series than the author of that book. FACT.

I think your right there with the P6. It just seems a shame that by the time they are taken notice of it'll be too late for most of them.

I shouldn't complain really, it's great being able to pick them up for sod all.

I cant *wait* to see it with the US front end installed!

It's top of the 'to do' list after an MOT has been gotten. Oh, and a full set of new tyres...

I think your right there with the P6. It just seems a shame that by the time they are taken notice of it'll be too late for most of them.

I shouldn't complain really, it's great being able to pick them up for sod all.

The Volvo 740 estate - not so much a Swedish Cortina than a Rover P6 Estourer re-imagined by Bill Towns :D

Pawnote: a free 740/760 estate of my own would be a very pleasing prospect ^^

I'm back!!

And I'm now in possession of a Volvo 740! An absolutely filthy Volvo 740 but at least I have it now.

I'll do a write up tomorrow and get the pics up as it's dark now and I can't take any decent pics of the car now it's home. All I'll say is that you really want to see it!

Oh, and I have driven it around the block quick when we unloaded it. It's bloody brilliant!

As a footnote, I've asked about the caravan. Sadly it's spoken for already by the guy who's taking the Wolseley as he's going to restore them both so at least those two are safe.

So that just leaves the Omega... I'll get a thread up in a min specifically for that!

Chop chop already, Dan!!1!

Alright already!!

Here we go then.

'Twas a delightfully sunny winters morning of Saturday 28th Jan. Tools, spares and other assorted crap was piled into the boot of my dad's Mondeo estate and we set off for Bath.

The trip up was completely uneventful and a little boring honestly! Although Bath did look nice as we approached on the A36 with sun shining onto the lovely sandstone buildings.

Anyway, we arrived at bang on 11:00 to find the owner had got the car started for us and even pumped up the flat front tyre.

We switched it off as it was using the enormous battery off the Omega. This was disconnected and my new Bosch Volvo battery put on instead. I had a quick nosey around the engine bay and everything seemed ok.

Next job was to move the beast. By now it was idling lovely, so reverse selected, and the car effortlessly backed down the sloping driveway onto the access road!

I'd expected the brakes to be seized solid and at least a bit of effort being needed to get the handbrake to let go, but it didn't. So far so good.

Handily, there's a garage block and compound next door so I gave the car a bit of a drive around there. The brakes all seem to be ok, if a little noisy. It runs and drives far far better than I'd expected it to and it also starts on the button now.

I parked it up and took a few snaps now there was a bit of room and sunlight on the car.

35587818366_95a9ac83eb_o.jpgIMG_0386 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

34818381663_8a147d9a74_o.jpgIMG_0385 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35627145195_3058a33851_o.jpgIMG_0384 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

So there it is! It's absolutely minging!

There's moss growing all over it, green algae and grime and the inside is very dusty and in dire need of a good cleaning.

The guy with the recovery truck soon arrived and was a real pro! I'd definitely use him again. He had the car loaded up in no time and then set off for my place.

35496795031_cd9edc3638_o.jpgIMG_0383 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

I had a chat with the owner while we were there, he told me he'd had it from new.

The story is that he'd had a new Volvo 480 as a company car but didn't get on with it and the reliability was terrible. He contacted Volvo UK to complain and they apologised and offered the full list price of the 480 off another Volvo model if he sent them the 480 back!

So he picked this one. He used it as his company car for three years then at the end of it's lease period bought it out right for his dad.

His dad kept it and looked after it until his passing.

It's got loads of history and even the original manuals and docs.

Another funny story was the same guy later had a 940 company car which had cruise control. Just before it was returned at the end of it's lease they cheekily stripped out the 940's cruise control...

Which was then fitted to my 740! Apparently nothing was questioned when the 940 went back!

I think the owner was a little sad to see it go tbh, it had been in his life for nearly 30 years and was his late fathers car for so long but he seemed very pleased it was off to a good home.

He said I could have the car for free, I did offer to pay for it (£200) but he wouldn't accept it. But I did promise to take good care of the car and get it back on the road.

The car arrived at home safe and sound, unloaded and given a quick spin around the block before being put on my drive.

These pics are from today but it's pissing down so I'll get some more once work starts.

35496787351_e2d8fdc60b_o.jpgIMG_0375 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35496783951_8db773c4ec_o.jpgIMG_0376 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35496789901_76077bc004_o.jpgIMG_0377 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35587780116_187f334e30_o.jpgIMG_0378 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35587778286_ca938c02ab_o.jpgIMG_0379 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

35587776356_97a6963380_o.jpgIMG_0380 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

The headliner is mint! It was replaced for a new Volvo one a few years ago. This is the first one of these I've ever seen with a headliner as good as new.

After a quick look this morning it seems a very good very solid car. There's no rust anywhere apart from the battery tray corner which will be an easy fix.

The body is very straight apart from the scuff to one rear arch from the owners gate post, I'll paint it quickly for now to stop it getting rusty but I will have that and the sunroof panel professionally painted longer term.

The interior is in need of a thorough clean and some bits of trim etc are loose so there's tidying to do in there.

The engine starts and runs fine, there's a bit of hesitation when cold but I think it just needs a service and the ignition components changing. I've got the parts so will start with this once the rain stops.

The coolant looks vile! I suspect someone's put a stop leak additive in it tbh which will need flushing out and changing.

The auto box seems pretty happy, it shifts well and feels ok, although the oil looks a little old and in need of a change. I'll get a new filter and gasket too for that.

Everything seems to work or is coming back to life with a bit of use, even the power aerial works still.

And it's got some giffer trinkets too!

Check this thing out!

35627127405_f382f2a2a7_o.jpgIMG_0382 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

I've no idea why anyone would want one of these visor things. It's horrible trying to look through it when driving!

It's also got a little digital voltmeter plugged into the fag lighter which shows a healthy voltage when running.

So overall I'm well pleased with it. I've wanted another early car for years now and this one was worth the wait.

There's a lot of work to do but it's a lovely car and should be worth the effort.

I'm not looking forward to trying to wash it tbh but I really hate dirty cars and it really does need it!

Nice win.

Personally, I'd be letting the local Kosovans have a go at it first on the basis that 

A) It'll be about £15

2) They'll have the inclination to do it in horrific weather like this

D) You saved £200 by not having to give any cash for the car.

Let them do it first, then you can give it more TLC.

All told, this is an absolute result.

I'm amazed it's not gone to Scotland, top job! (although I have no idea where you live so I could still be wrong...)

I live on the costa del Pompey! South coast.

I must admit something about all this did feel 'wrong' like I'd somehow disrupted the world order by taking a Volvo further south.

Looks like it will be a great car once it's cleaned up and recommissioned. Super low mileage, too.  :-D

I wonder how much the replacement headlining cost? As much as many people on here would pay for a whole car, no doubt.

I've got a big stack of old receipts and paperwork here so hopefully the receipt will be there somewhere. I'll have a look as it would be interesting to see what it cost. I doubt very much it was cheap though.

Weather looks a bit drier tomorrow morning so as I'm off work for the day this things getting a well deserved wash.

Should I use the power washer though?

If I avoid the window seals and sunroof it shouldn't leak. The power washer should make light work of the moss and crud compared to a hose and sponge.

Man did i just give the "like" button a hammering! As old 740s go that is right up there as the holy grail, right engine, right interior, right colour and it's even low mileage.

I'd jet wash the funk right out of it, get all that green shit out of them seals and mouldings and give it a good soapy wash and it will really look smart

I'm really pleased that it's all worked out well for you.