Am I a bad BUYAA or is he a bad SELLA?

vaughant

Long story as short as possible * :

-Saw car, made contact via forum as no number

-SELLA responds, sends number, I explain no phone calls in work so will TXT INNIT BLUD.

-text to arrange time, sella says not convenient, no probs, try to arrange different time, says he'll "get back to me" tries the old " someone else is really interested at the full asking price regime". Not fussed, price is cheap enough or as in true autoshite fashion, I wouldn't be looking.

- gets back to me an hour before I'm due to leave saying can't come he's busy, no biggie, everyone's entitled* to a life.

-explain to him that I am in real need of said car and will need to look elsewhere if I can't view before Tuesday.

-seller instantly responds despite being apparently out and busy getting arsey, asking why I'm backing out.

-explain I'm not backing out at all, but my circumstances are such that I need to view ASAP. Can he do Sunday?

-arsey reply back saying I told him next week was ok etc.

-explained Tuesday is deadline etc as I'll be looking up the auctions.

-REALLY arsey reply saying "turn up Sunday with the money". Start getting a bad feeling but still go with it.

-explain I'm viewing the car first and if as described I'll leave a sizeable deposit and collect the next day

-ask for a postcode for distance, get fobbed off.

-he then asks if I'm coming with a mate, he will then phone to give directions, explain I'm alone and ask him again for rough location/motorway junction etc.

-no response

-no response all day Saturday/Sunday until I make contact asking if he's changed his mind/already sold it due to no comms.

-get totally arsey reply stating why would he be keeping it, he's trying to sell, he hasn't sold to anyone else.

-decide sellers not the type of person I can be bothered to deal with on an old not particularly special car, kindly remove my interest, wish GLWTS etc, why not sell to the other party who was "willing to pay full price" as AHHHHMMM OOOOT!!!!

-arsey reply that I should ring him and that "no one buys cars via text"-bit of tit for tat texts, no expletives, try to explain that it's commonplace these days to have no vocal or even sometimes physical contact when buying cars. Still, tell him I'm not interested.

-more slightly arsey replies.

-wish him GLWTS etc and hear no more.

Now, like anything else I'm keen and maybe a bit excited to view it "now now now" forgetting people have other commitments but I feel I've given the guy a ton of options to work with, yet he thought he'd play clever fuckers and tell me the oldest trick in the book that " there's another interested party" which judging by his updated FORSHALLE ad is clearly not true.

Is it wrong to ditch a viewing just because I got a really bad feeling about the guy? Should I have just thought " fuck it, it's the car I'm buying not the seller?".

I don't see I've done a lot wrong and having been the person selling and getting messed about, waiting in all day, Mrs shouting at me because she's sat around for nothing, missing out on the next project/needing cash I'd always prefer someone to be honest, as I thought I had even despite his crappy tricks.

Or am I just a KANNNNNNNNT ruining the guys Xmas purely because my heart tells me he's a BELM?

Opinions welcomed.

Links to estate chod also welcomed, particularly Swedish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to say. Could be crossed wires or him trying to be a Pro salesman and failing miserably.

I'd put money on that there was no-one else. This time of year is when I've bought the best bargains. Especially in January when no-one apparently has any money left! I've gathering a whole load of cars of interest on my watchlist to see which ones haven't sold by January....

My limiting factor right now is space rather than funds for cheap chod! Hence my Saab sale.

Is it wrong to ditch a viewing just because I got a really bad feeling about the guy?

No, I'd have fobbed it off long before you seemingly did. If he can't be bothered trying to sell it, why should you be bothered trying to buy it?

It's simple, he needs to sell, you don't need to buy, hence he needs to bend over backwards to work around you. You do get tosser buyers but you seem to have done everything you could and I would say it's definitely bad seller on this occasion. I have cancelled things and even had a viewing at 5.30am once as the guy was genuine but worked away a lot and it was the only time he could come around, which he did on the dot and paid in full.

Doesn't sound that unreasonable (of you).  I had a similar experience trying to buy some Carlos Fandango wheels for my AMC.  I should have known when the Ad said "offers" - so I offered and he'd immediately been offered loads more.  Then I could have them for loads more still (but not quite as much as "the other guy").  They were a long way off to collect and in the end I decided my first offer was OK and sacked him off - wishing him good luck etc.  

I have travelled long distances to get stuff when it's been worthwhile, but I wasn't getting a good feeling about that bloke.

I do sympathise with sellers too, on occasion though - quite a few times I have turned up armed with cash and a means to collect (and sometimes dismantle) and been praised for "being the only bloke who turned up" (not saying the seller in your case wasn't a pillock BTW).

Took too long to read all that, soz. Just fuck him off, he fails on the 'general hassle' criteria. Mind you, you fail too for pissing about with texts instead of just talking to him when youre both able to.

Yes apologies for length of post, I'm a "why use one word when you can use ten" type of person I'm afraid!!

Perhaps I could have phoned agreed but I was on 2-10 and some people get really twatty if you ring all happy @ 11pm, I would generally.

Just thought after the last text on Friday when he got really funny about asking who I was coming with and not even prepared to give me his rough location I thought twice then.

Fuck it its not my problem, I've been messed about and let down a lot more than I've done to anyone else!!!

Doesn't sound that unreasonable (of you). I had a similar experience trying to buy some Carlos Fandango wheels for my AMC. I should have known when the Ad said "offers" - so I offered and he'd immediately been offered loads more. Then I could have them for loads more still (but not quite as much as "the other guy"). They were a long way off to collect and in the end I decided my first offer was OK and sacked him off - wishing him good luck etc.

I have travelled long distances to get stuff when it's been worthwhile, but I wasn't getting a good feeling about that bloke.

I do sympathise with sellers too, on occasion though - quite a few times I have turned up armed with cash and a means to collect (and sometimes dismantle) and been praised for "being the only bloke who turned up" (not saying the seller in your case wasn't a pillock BTW).

Very true.

I once flew from Aberdeen to Gatwick to collect a BMW with a few months mot for £350 then drove it straight home to Swansea while the Mrs was oblivious to it all so I generally do follow on if I've made a commitment.

Guy was an awesome seller too, picked me up from the station, left 1/2 a tank in the car, followed me to the petrol station, just a really decent guy.

He also remarked he thought I was bonkers travelling for such a cheap motor but I read the ad and knew it was a good 'un and only wanted it for the lump anyway.

Shame as it had been lowered in a comic fashion which even being an auto lead to MASSIVEDRIFTKAOS everywhere!!!

The Mrs hated it but did appreciate it got us to our holiday airport and home no problem 😂😂😂

There was enough warnings about him from your earliest dealings. Always go with your gut instinct, ok one, maybe two things can be let pass but he's clearly just pissing you about. My guess is the last minute 'can't make its' are because he's found a fault he omitted to mention, or he's had someone else round to view it and is hedging his bets of the first viewer buying.

I got stung many many years ago by a 'someone's on the phone and they want to buy it' trick and now every time someone says it to me I just wish them luck with the sale and tell them I'm not interested. Fuck him off and move on.

Was it one of our gang out of nosiness? 

I'm sure the amount of people messing about has increased in recent years. I never ever remembering it this bad.

It's why I'm happy to sell cars on here for a lot less than I could get, because the amount lost is far less than what the extra is worth in hassle!

Yes 100% agree also.

And I promise if I go the Saab route I will keep you posted about yours if it becomes a disasterbus 3 seconds after owning !!!

There was enough warnings about him from your earliest dealings. Always go with your gut instinct, ok one, maybe two things can be let pass but he's clearly just pissing you about. My guess is the last minute 'can't make its' are because he's found a fault he omitted to mention, or he's had someone else round to view it and is hedging his bets of the first viewer buying.

I got stung many many years ago by a 'someone's on the phone and they want to buy it' trick and now every time someone says it to me I just wish them luck with the sale and tell them I'm not interested. Fuck him off and move on.

Was it one of our gang out of nosiness?

No not from here, certainly doesn't seem that kind of place.

Also I asked in the first instance if there was anything mech/elec I needed to know about and I would totally understand as it's an old car, not expecting perfection and was told no all good ( which on an old motor is always suspicious) but it's an old Volvo so I thought that could be true as they are robust machines hence my interest.

What was/is the car?

We will decide your next move.. :-D:shock::-D

Car was a Volvo derv estate v70, old Audi motor, looked good but like I said, not bucket list fodder.

Criteria is :

Estate/mpv/possibly 4x4 type

Reliable

Preferably derv but not essential

Good on motorway

Comfy

Under £2k preferably under £1500/£1300

Turbo for grunt

Candidates are Saab 9-5 (gutted I missed an 07 aero hot for £850 ☹ï¸â˜¹ï¸â˜¹ï¸) derv or pez , Volvo but a bit scared of autoboxes as they seem horrifyingly poor t5 are just a bit too juicy but I won't rule one out completely.

Passat/a4/a6 tdi/1.8t.

Newish vectra (07 on) as its well within my price range

Ford Galaxy/seat Alhambra/VW shazza.

Most jap

Some French

No Italian cos "Ive heard the pub gossip"

DEFFO not a freelander as I detest everything about them.

I would be wary of anybody who asks if you are coming alone - they obviously want to drug you and sell you as a sex slave, or just plain rob you

Maybe next time send a text asking if it's ok to ring at that time of night?

Jesus they'd have to be desperate to drug and rape me, and be strong to move me due to excess fatness!!!!

But yes it's sometimes a concern and I've heard of folk being forced to go to cashpoints, cars stolen etc. I suppose I just don't think of that really and still trust 95% of the population!!!!

If your the same dodge rover as on retro rides I actually bought a car off you years ago, a Corolla automatic, from up in Macclesfield.

But I could be way off!!!

Agreed with the earlier posts - fair enough to not phone at 11pm but couldn't you have sneaked away for a piss / snack / fag break at work and called?  Or send a text saying you'd like to call as soon as you get out of work at 10:05pm.

Car was a Volvo derv estate v70, old Audi motor, looked good but like I said, not bucket list fodder.

I've got one of them, they're bloody difficult to find in that spec.  I managed to get one with a trifling 135,000 on the clock too, although it's at 155,000 now after a year of ownership.

Personally, I hate trying to deal with someone via text. I'd rather a phone call and it's sorted. Pretty much everyone that's text me about cars or car parts has let me down so they get the "just call me it's easier" text reply.

In your case, he got arsey so I'd have pulled out right there ;)

Candidates are Saab 9-5 (gutted I missed an 07 aero hot for £850 ☹ï¸â˜¹ï¸â˜¹ï¸)

I wouldn't be gutted. An £850 '07 plated Aero HOT would be like a shite suspense movie that starts with the protagonist about to cut a red wire and the timer is showing Planck time remaining before utter and complete devastation.

I'd have shat off the seller before you; after fifteen cars or so and many disappointing journeys to both private and trade sellers I have become quite cut-throat for a sandal-wearing leaf-muncher. As said in another thread only today, I rang up a car on Friday, and when I asked about the cambelt and the dealer tried twice to insist it was chain driven, I politely ended the conversation and backed out.

A few years ago there was a dealer operating from his street; he had around eleven cars for sale and all were photographed on the nice-looking residential street in front of his house (*pointedly directs For Fiat's Sake's local authority to that as a TRUE example of dealership-from-home*). He had something that looked quite tasty (a V6 Mondeo I think) and I rang up.

'Hi, I'd like to ask about the Mondeo V6.'

'Yeah, it's for sale. You coming?'

'Erm, I'd like to know a bit more about it, then give it a test drive possibly yeah.'

'Nah mate, you come to look you come to buy.'

'Erm, right, good luck with that.'

*dialtone*