REB's Wonderful World Of DERV - MavisNotMavis Lives

reb

Unfortunately I need to make some effort to keep my hands clean because of work. I have discovered wd40 makes surprisingly good hand cleaner though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've got tons of gritty swarfega style hand wash if you want to take some next time you're passing.

Next job will be the timing belt, since there's no record of it having been done so I have to assume it's original. Last thing I want is the belt going and wasting all my time and money, an engine rebuild isn't really in my budget at the moment.

Then after that it's driveshafts, as they've really not enjoyed all the ball joint shenanigans. £70 for the pair and another £9 or so for the intermediate bearing, can't really complain at that. Then the remaining 3 wheel bearings, I'm not convinced they've got much life left.

By that point I'll essentially have a factory fresh 205 bar the heater fan not working and the rear beam.

Dont change wheel bearings until they show signs of wear.

Old but original quality > Chinese replacements forged from sawdust and tin cans.

The problem is the rear ones don't stay together when you take the drums off, surely that can't help with keeping shite out of them?

• 2 months later...

I have actually been doing work on this, honest! It got a shiny new set of driveshafts as the old ones were making a horrendous noise, and had a scary amount of play in the joints.

06949d69d44cda586d8350314db0c732.jpg

I also bolted a pair of Hellas to the front. Yes, they're very squint here. Yes, I fixed that.

18c2149890fcb3d3a9efe892dbd55687.jpg

And in other news my friend Beth, who has been a very vocal critic of my choice in automobiles at times, sent me this photo from Shetland.

a9d4e7322641077ced93413b2f2569ec.jpg

I have actually been doing work on this, honest! It got a shiny new set of driveshafts as the old ones were making a horrendous noise, and had a scary amount of play in the joints.

06949d69d44cda586d8350314db0c732.jpg

I also bolted a pair of Hellas to the front. Yes, they're very squint here. Yes, I fixed that.

18c2149890fcb3d3a9efe892dbd55687.jpg

And in other news my friend Beth, who has been a very vocal critic of my choice in automobiles at times, sent me this photo from Shetland.

a9d4e7322641077ced93413b2f2569ec.jpg

There's also the one I took up for Sealatinn 1.8d on Shetland too

Are you still after a standard fuel filter housing for this? I have a new filter for it too.

If you've got one that'd be great! I did have a filter somewhere, but I suspect it's got lost and/or damp over the past year.

There's also the one I took up for Sealatinn 1.8d on Shetland too

Is that not what inspired the purchase of pugsley? I have no idea of the spec or age of the one in the photo, Beth's knowledge of it amounted to "It's the same colour as yours".

• 1 month later...

Very little in the way of work on the Pug has been happening, other than the reappearance of the GTI alloys.

The Volvo however started intermittently buzzing its tits off, and more distressingly, intermittently losing absolutely all power to the point it wouldn't even idle properly let alone move. Usually at inopportune moments in traffic. Some research suggested it was the fuel pump relay, so one was duly acquired from a V70 in the local* breakers yard, along with a drivers door check strap and some colour coded-ish mirror backs from an S70. This has now been fitted, so I can but wait and see if it's fixed anything or not.

Look, perfect colour match.946696abf827672c0a1259674e437af6.jpg

Edit: I also put some cheap but legal metal plates on, because they look better than cheap MOT fail spec ones.

4c652cbfd640f9822e7e7e708d77d903.jpg