REB's Wonderful World Of DERV - MavisNotMavis Lives

reb

I have an increasingly rare night off tonight, so I went out to have a prod around the 205 to remind myself what needs doing. It stills amazes me how utterly rust free it is, certainly the bits I can get at with it on the ground anyway. Minor grump about discovering the rear drivers side wheel has been rubbing on the inside, but I'll see to that in time.

There's not much else to say right now, so have a photo of it before it was off the road!
e96fe5aabd94e9cee08f5579098e028d.jpg
And another!
d4705032a4d0434083efdd4ab8c953c3.jpg

..... Minor grump about discovering the rear drivers side wheel has been rubbing on the inside, but I'll see to that in time.

Uh......Maybe see to that sooner rather than later?

Balljoint comes apart -twice- and a brake pad falls out....you were seriously fucking lucky that any of those events didnt happen at speed and fire you through some poor cunts livingroom window. Best investigate the rear suspension thats failed so badly the tyre is apparently rubbing on the bodywork or suspension component......Fourth time might not be so lucky.

If its rubbing on the bodywork then the rear beam is shafted. Possibly rebuildable, but thats not a simple job. If it has been worn a long time then its probably too fucked to rebuild. Common problem with pugs of that era.

Uh......Maybe see to that sooner rather than later?

Balljoint comes apart -twice- and a brake pad falls out....you were seriously fucking lucky that any of those events didnt happen at speed and fire you through some poor cunts livingroom window. Best investigate the rear suspension thats failed so badly the tyre is apparently rubbing on the bodywork or suspension component......Fourth time might not be so lucky.

If its rubbing on the bodywork then the rear beam is shafted. Possibly rebuildable, but thats not a simple job. If it has been worn a long time then its probably too fucked to rebuild. Common problem with pugs of that era.

It's off the road for the foreseeable future, I'm not quite daft enough to carry on driving it until it's had a proper going over. It's not rubbing all of the time, looks like it's just scuffing over bumps, the clearance with the 14" wheels is just enough smaller for the wear to be a problem. I am factoring in the potential of having to rebuild or replace the beam.

• 1 month later...

Still nothing much to say, but I've started to actually plan what needs done. On the pre-MOT list is handbrake cables and front passenger side hub. Also fairly high priority is a new rear beam and shocks, which seems like a lot less work than refurbishing it myself. New front shocks and springs are probably in its future too but that's not really a necessity at this point.

I'm also bolting some rally lights to it for the dark* summer nights that'll comprise most of the time I get to drive it.

Oh and boot struts because head injuries every time I go in the boot aren't fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Will has rebuilt his own 205 beam using the kit from Poland. It didn't look like fun. He may still have it for sale actually, hit him up. He has a right stash of bits in that shed.

I do like how your number plate matches your seat covers!

Will his be discs or drums? I've been meaning to ask him about a front hub actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure if I have hubs left, they tend to get snaffled quite quickly, or the bottom wishbone mount rounds out.

Regarding rear beams, I meant to have a look today but totally forgot. I am going to Austria for a week but text me and I can have a look for you!

07874 two three two 837

• 3 months later...

Since it's been about 6 months since the little pug actually saw the road, and insurance cheapness* happens at the end of this week due to driving a year now, I thought I'd better actually make the bloody thing work.

A couple of weeks ago I fitted the new hub to replace the ovalled one, we did the cv boot at the same time since it was actually in about 3 different bits from the ball joint dropping twice. Started on replacing the engine mounts because they're largely made of dust.

I also discovered why the handbrake came on on one side about 4-5 clicks before the other. I do not understand these self adjusters in any way, the only advice in the hbol was poke them with a screwdriver when you put new shoes in. I reset both and readjusted the handbrake, it seems to actually work now and the compensator bar on the cables sits a bit more level.

Last job needed for the MOT (I hope) is getting the foglight to work, and to stay attached to the bumper. Shoogling of the connector made it work, so I cleaned the contacts enough that it works most of the time. The little metal clips that hold it to the bumper are £4.99 a set on ebay, I think not.

Taking it for an MOT next week, if it passes after which it will almost certainly rain consistently for months.e4068d88ab299ef910700d74a4b4a10f.jpg6ef39cbd0e23521663971d511a97161b.jpgfa32ec26cc8d426f288a163dc2a5987c.jpg4527a12a0a2ca63ef39a6a1927ebf8b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good to see this on the road to stardom once again!

It's looking a bit sad being all grubby on rusty steel wheels, since the speedo doesn't like the alloys. Soon I'm going to give it a proper polish, and redye the bumpers. The way I look at it for the cost of a decent machine polisher across 4 cars, it's nice and cheap per car.

MOT booked for tomorrow, I'm fairly certain that it'll pass.

The interior was looking a bit grubby from sitting for 6 months, so I've given it a bit of a clean with AutoGlym interior shampoo stuff. A nice coating of vinyl and rubber care should make it all shiny and that. It doesn't half release a lot of vapor though.

a44526f2b773d697f45dba5a6fc036c7.jpg

Check the hub where the balljoint pin goes - the hubs suffer from ovalling and bellmouthing allowing the pin to move around, which is often mis-diagnosed by garages as play in the balljoint.

This seems particularly likely in your case given that I seem to recall you mentioning that the pin has separated from the hub on a couple of occasions suggesting that the pin wasn't clamped properly.

The brake adjusters have a ratchet on them, as the shoes wear the ratchet moves out...

In theory.

What usually happens is that because there's very little load on the rear brakes, by the time they've worn enough to move, the ratchet is filled up with brake dust and doesn't work, also as they get older they wear and sometimes slip. Next time the rear brakes are apart give the ratchet teeth a good thrashing with a wire brush to clean them. That helps.

Check the hub where the balljoint pin goes - the hubs suffer from ovalling and bellmouthing allowing the pin to move around, which is often mis-diagnosed by garages as play in the balljoint.

This seems particularly likely in your case given that I seem to recall you mentioning that the pin has separated from the hub on a couple of occasions suggesting that the pin wasn't clamped properly.

It's possible that this is the problem, the other side had this happen and we replaced the hub. The ball joint is definitely a bit past it either way, and I have a spare hub that's going on anyway

A puggo update, new arm with ball joint procured and fitted, spare hub fitted. Alas the bearing in the spare hub was even worse. No problem, hub back off and along to friendly mechanic for a bearing. Parts van arrives just as we have the old bearing out, but we quickly discover it's completely the wrong one. The correct one was delivered this morning, so I went to collect it. Hub is back on now and all seems well. I'm starting to feel like I know what I'm doing, which is nice.

That's why I never bother wearing gloves apart from tigerseal or painting! Dirty fingernails for 2 weeks is just nature's way of reminding you of a job well done!

Unfortunately I need to make some effort to keep my hands clean because of work. I have discovered wd40 makes surprisingly good hand cleaner though.