REB's Wonderful World Of DERV - MavisNotMavis Lives

reb

The 850 inexplicably chucked it's back end out at low speed last week, I put it down to diesel on the road.

Yesterday I was talking to the landlord of our work premises and noticed it sitting even lower than usual on the back. Inspection when I got home revealed:

31a2d8144f5738e7723c3fc94ab3cd56.jpg

Piss.

Thankfully, as a family of serial Volvo owners:

c8f48f91f04ec8caa7ec62da75142ae7.jpg

A spare was procured. So the first day of my two week break is going like this:

d907a420052eedc86d912fea41af93fc.jpg

Happy Monday everyone.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Red shoe. +10 charisma.

Aspie. -100 charisma.

These were once my "good" boots, the tread is nearly worn smooth but they keep going. They don't actually make real Docs anymore so replacing them will be interesting.

More (probably) useless shit arrived today. The two 205 ones are by one of the guys that did the "Improve and Modify" one, so not holding much hope. A quick flick through and they look not too bad really.

The 307 one is just to figure out how to dismantle the fucker, and for info about the engine.

e957493d6d8df68ee5d2772fff178d39.jpg

They don't actually make real Docs anymore so replacing them will be interesting.

I've gone through a few pairs of DMs, now I buy Solovairs, who are the original manufacturer of DMs before they went off to china.

https://www.solovair-shoes.com/product-category/boots/

Way better quality, the soles are softer and grip better than DMs, but somehow manage to last longer as well. 

So, are you sticking a 307 hdi engine in the 205?

That's more or less the plan, yes.

Not the easiest job in the world, quite possibly not the most trouble free engine either, but it's the available donor car. Frees up some money to spend on suspension and brakes and such, nothing too mad though.

Not the easiest job in the world, quite possibly not the most trouble free engine either, but it's the available donor car. Frees up some money to spend on suspension and brakes and such, nothing too mad though.

Never seen it done so very interested in watching the progress man. All the fun of an old car with modern power and economy!

You'd be much better starting with a 306 HDi as a donor if you can - the 307 is going to add a huge amount of headaches with multiplex management, engine that's mounted at a different angle etc.

HDi conversion using a 306 as a donor should be pretty straight forward really - most of the wiring and plumbing is the same principle to a 306 GTi-6 conversion for example.  I've considered doing the swap myself in the past when I had an  205 GTi needing an engine and an 306 HDi that was shortly going to the bridge, but decided against it.

307 front brakes will bolt straight onto your 205, although probably won't fit under those wheels - most of them need 15" minimum.  They're massively overkill for a 205 though IME. 

I'd be using a 306 if I had the option, but this 307 was free and has a know history. It does certainly present some challenges, but since the 205 isn't my daily I have time to work through them all.

I've sourced brakes and suspension from a 1.9 gti, so the brakes from this will be going in the big box of bits for the future.

I'm going to stick these 15s on the 205 briefly just to see how silly it looks.

14a8816adc162531c2008615b3826239.jpg

Fair enough, certainly nothing is insurmountable and using a known quantity as a donor has merit.

Worse case, the bare engine is pretty much the same, it's just the bolt on parts and wiring/ECU that differs so a dead/breaker 306 could yield the required parts cheaply enough.

I've seen a lot more ambitious projects carried out by people a lot less prepared than I am, and Keith is a wizard at sourcing parts so hopefully anything that can't be bodged from some Frankenstein combination of parts from the two cars should be easy enough to find. Some preliminary inspection shows that the big bits like engine mounts are close enough to the same, the biggest sticking point right now is the gearbox but we're working on that.

If it was easy, where would the fun be?  :-D

Today's plan was to sort the brakes on the 850 as they were advisories on the last MOT and they've deteriorated somewhat* since then. Last I looked at the clock it was 14:30, all I've done is make a coffee and now it's 15:50? I'd better get on with it!

Edit: the clocks just changed, didn't they? I'm smart sometimes, honest...

• 2 months later...

Some wank in a 116D reversed into me while I was basically stationary. Insurance say "beyond economical repair". Lets see about that, shall we?

20190610_152407.thumb.jpg.03f8bf47c9ed32d0e42708c9b2a3e40e.jpg

20190610_152428.thumb.jpg.d7527590e48f790927cb601c710b5bf0.jpg

20190610_152541.thumb.jpg.f090bb363728b56eea3f04049c63bf9a.jpg

20190610_153218.thumb.jpg.05e2b6b3b13bd7bc451d365dcc5957c1.jpg

20190610_153551.thumb.jpg.6c3aef8cdeab78524eab1271ec2cfc7b.jpg

Job jobbed.

That was pretty economical I'd say, given I had the tcut anyway and the pry bar was nicked from Keith.

Not perfect by any means, but more than good enough for a workhorse, and at least the door opens properly again.

• 1 month later...

Finished work early, so probably have to wait around a little bit before collectioning can happen.

Drive home was good though, behind a royal mail 7.5 tonner who's driver had ferrite bollocks. Using his limiter as cruise control for the whole 7 miles I was behind him, even through mild twisties, lost him when he did a flying overtake of 3 cars and a tractor.

Holy balls is it warm though!

20190722_184000.thumb.jpg.bfba029bc30a1c64ae4292a65e7ef33f.jpg

1 minute ago, loserone said:

Or enforce them when it turns out to be a shed?

He's been quite forthcoming with its status as a shed, garage monkey Keith was involved in the original acquisition and says it's mechanical sound. Initial inspection shows it's going to need welding at some point but not yet.