REB's Wonderful World Of DERV - MavisNotMavis Lives

reb

Here it is!

20190722_201740.thumb.jpg.88463bf9eccabad0d90314db3ea55336.jpg

It's a GT so 110hp with a 5 speed manual, limited edition of 2500! £350 with £10 back for pez, not bad for something with 9 month's ticket I'd say. Definitely a 10 footer, some of the paint is a big grim and there's a couple of bits of trim hanging off at the edges, but I'm sure I can fix that.

2 hours ago, mrbenn said:

Good luck with the collection!

I know we're currently browsing the French menu, but I do heartz that Volvo. In fact, I'm going to go watch DW's video of it so I can hear the engine.

I heartzed it too, but then it possibly/probably skipped the timing belt, so that's sad :(

Keith has just bought a V70 TDI so I'll still get to hear the 5 pot derv sometimes at least!

41 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

What's it like to drive?

Fairly unremarkable feeling, but it sticks like something very sticky and it pulls quite well. The pedal box was obviously not designed for DM clad size 13s and the steering wheel not positioned for noodle armed lanky bastards, but I'll get used to that like I did with the Clio of doom.

38 minutes ago, loserone said:

I just can't get enthusiastic, Soz :)

hope it doesn't slow down the 205 work! 

It's unremarkable in almost every way except being a bit quick, which is all it needs to be really. It's a daily beater/pizza delivery weapon that should* demand less attention/cashmoneys than a moon-miles Volvo.

I have to say I do like the styling a lot better than anything else of the era, it's ugly but in a quirky way rather than an eye bleach way. Once it's wearing one of my wanker plates it'll look less like the grim daily it really is, but that's as far as any modifications will go.

Looks a lot better than the C2 Loeb I looked at a while back that was up for £900.

It had scrapes on all 4 corners and while up for sale still had ridiculous stickers on it (e.g. "My Citroen goes BWAAAAH" across the tailgate, and "louder than your mum last night" on the airbox). It also belonged to the son of one my then work colleagues. Awkward.

Bonus points; the alloys were painted black incredibly badly and were flaking horrendously, and the tailgate was as rusty as the titanic.

All in all, good buy! I'd still like to try a smoll car with modest power sometime.

18 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Looks a lot better than the C2 Loeb I looked at a while back that was up for £900.

It had scrapes on all 4 corners and while up for sale still had ridiculous stickers on it (e.g. "My Citroen goes BWAAAAH" across the tailgate, and "louder than your mum last night" on the airbox). It also belonged to the son of one my then work colleagues. Awkward.

Bonus points; the alloys were painted black incredibly badly and were flaking horrendously, and the tailgate was as rusty as the titanic.

All in all, good buy! I'd still like to try a smoll car with modest power sometime.

I think that very car passed through the ownership of a work colleague. He told me it had "160hp" then I drove it and realised just how much shit he talks.

It doesn't feel particularly smoll when you're in it, I'm not sure whether it's trickery like the 205 or if it is just a bit big. It feels slightly lardy, until you put your foot down!

3 minutes ago, reb said:

I think that very car passed through the ownership of a work colleague. He told me it had "160hp" then I drove it and realised just how much shit he talks.

It doesn't feel particularly smoll when you're in it, I'm not sure whether it's trickery like the 205 or if it is just a bit big. It feels slightly lardy, until you put your foot down!

Yeah, my colleague said it sold to a guy doing fast food deliveries who came up north from your sort of area!

1 minute ago, Supernaut said:

Yeah, my colleague said it sold to a guy doing fast food deliveries who came up north from your sort of area!

Small world!

He bought it to sell, I told him the best way to do it would include taking any mods off and replacing them with standard parts and selling them separately. He was convinced that a modded car was worth more.

• 5 months later...

Until now a whole lot of nothing has been happening because winter, MavisNotMavis returned from presumed death after catastrophically shitting it's crank pulley damper.

Once the failed pulley had been replaced there were a few different squeals and worrisome clatters to chase down, the last of which is the alternator bearings. This proved interesting as the replacements I got from polar parts were identical in every way to the right part without actually being the right part.

I also hit a deer at some rate of speed, though both the deer and Mavis walked away with injuries. Fixed the important things as quickly as I could, mainly the headlight and the removal of glass and fragments of the deceased headlight wiper motor. The bonnet is bent in ways I can't comprehend how you'd go about repairing, the grille had to come off because my cable tie bodge for the bonnet release snapped off and it was fucked anyway, the wing has an interesting kink to it too.

I've also had 3 bastard flat tyres since the start of November. This leaves me currently with a horrifying array of secondhand and borrowed ditchfinders. Not that it really mattered all that much since this is what the strut tops looked like:

20200107_132709.thumb.jpg.8261e3bdc0c689addcac069f26e68703.jpg

I have to say other than the very occasional tiny wobble on certain roads you'd not expect there to be as big a component failure as this. To even inspect the bloody things you need to take the strut out, which is one of those jobs I completely understand what I'm doing but have an irrational aversion to actually doing it.

So, let's go, starting with a before:

20200107_102004.thumb.jpg.2963c40084e0783ec77ba0eca13ae127.jpg

No pictures of the disassembly process because the sky was throwing somewhat of a tantrum, so straight to the next step!

20200107_104348.thumb.jpg.98b73378f0d9c8687ed0758c8ca5bc30.jpg

Well. That would explain the grinding noise going lock to lock. It astounds me that something that fucked doesn't make the car totally undrivable. 

20200107_110828.thumb.jpg.0866bd6e6a7eaf80123dd8de99305ce1.jpg

I have no words for how fucked this is. I have no chance for the other side, which is a shame because it was much worse but I don't have any photos of it.

20200107_111122.thumb.jpg.51359499d129a71649de614b04c52605.jpg

Shiny new bits are always nice. I've no idea if the two spring seats are facing the same way because they don't appear to be at all the same shape.

20200107_111237.thumb.jpg.901ebe8c841afc0494d26e316b82354c.jpg

This is the first time I've had new major suspension components, so it feels nice to have these new shocks even if they're not amazing quality they're still better than the knackered old ones.

20200107_123438.thumb.jpg.d01f3876c9480610a678a99938fe7c15.jpg

Hey, I said I like shiny new things, but I'm not made out of money! The old spring seems to be completely fine, with minimal rust which is nice. I don't think the spring is that old, which could mean the shocks I'm replacing aren't that old. On a moon mileage pizza delivery barge though "not that old" can mean over 60k.

20200107_132241.thumb.jpg.06027483015e50b0b3e2776a0f14be55.jpg

And as if by magic, fitted! Along with new drop links as I had them lying around anyway and the state of the nuts meant there really was no way to get them off intact. Notice the amount of rust splattering that appeared in the drier half of the day.

I don't have any pictures of the second side, the other spring seat was in two pieces that could turn independently of eachother.

And to tie off the post, we'll finish how we started:

20200107_132702.thumb.jpg.081c1c4f0c9fa093169e2784866b3534.jpg

• 10 months later...

Mavisnotmavis has been parked up in my unit since about July as I've not been allowed to drive due to health reasons, now I'm allowed to drive again it's time to get her back on the road!

The first problem was the completely dead battery, it wouldn't even charge on the charger so a new one was sourced from Dingbro after being fucked around by CarParts4Less for 2 weeks. This was fitted and she fired up immediately, excellent news!

The bad news is the ABS and TRACS lights are on and didn't clear after driving from the unit up to the house. I've checked the fuses and tried disconnecting the battery again to no avail. Next port of call is plugging in Vol-FCR and seeing what that has to say. It's really quite irritating as the MOT has expired so I can't use the damn thing until I fix this!

Mum's bringing dad's laptop with Vol-FCR and the requisite cable tomorrow so hopefully I should be one step closer to being on the road then!