1981 Citroen Visa Super E

JohnK

I bought this from hairnet (that was an experience I can tell you!) and I've been having fun thrashing around in it, I did buy it as a bit of a keeper but the longer term plan has changed and I could do with the funds really if I'm going to properly tidy this Carlton up.

1981 Citroen Visa 11 Super E

MOT: November 2017

Approx 45k miles

Pretty much as it was when Mark had it although I've tweaked the carb a bit which has improved the running particularly from cold.

She's not in bad shape, some surface corrosion on rear arches and a bit on one front wing. Generally In good condition throughout.

She's still French registered, currently with Footman James, no issues insuring on VIN No. All supporting documents present and NOVA declared with number present.

I was hoping to register it, all forms filled out and I will happily copy all the vehicle details onto a blank form so the new keeper just needs to put their name and address on.

She runs and drives very well and fairly nippy for what she is!

£600, or would raffle at £10 a ticket. Located Middlesbrough. All funds will keep other shite on the road!

Some pics, first lot are from when hairnet had it, last two are mine I will get some better pics over the weekend

5FD1AC30-CA7B-4424-95EA-4F3B9795EA09_zps

EF7B6989-4982-494F-976F-D03EB3F86B8F_zps

5B209FC2-17E6-44A6-9D55-E7FB4D936717_zps

EBB0ABF4-6882-407D-935D-19C4F5537623_zps

B98D30C7-D716-4738-BE97-74FB3EB1BC36_zps

How difficult would it be to convert it to rhd with c15 bits?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

I would say a fair amount of work with the wiring etc.

Why would you want to on a vehicle like this, you soon get used to LHD and no C15 ever had a magnificent dash like this Visa!

post-4787-0-09518000-1481299412_thumb.jpg

Its easy to convert a C15 to LHD, so I reckon it would be easy enough.

You will need the steering rack, column, pedals, and a few bits of trim.

The column support is welded to the bulkhead - cut it off and take careful measurements from the RHD donor and weld it on. Its only a dozen or so spot welds.

You need to extend about a dozen wires on a C15, I Not sure how many on this as I dont remember what a Visa loom looks like and how its routed behind the dash. 

Needs a hole drilled for the speedo cable, clutch cable and for the end of the steering column near the floor. You will need to add the tube to link the RHD pedals to the LHD master cylinder, which will come off the van.

Some fannying with the carpet and sound deadening too.

I used to be able to do a C15 in a day, but I did loads of them.

TBH I wouldnt, though. Having some weirdo car that baffles people in Tescos carpark is all part of the fun, and getting out of the wrong side just confuses people further.

See also.....reversing round McDonalds drivethrough. The burgersmiths get really confused when you do that.

Lovely, odd cars from that weird period just after Citroën was bought by that Peugoet - still had traditional Cit engineers but used all Pug parts yet made better cars, even if it was decreed they should be perceived as ugly. The Visa is a better car than a 205 in all but looks, for me. The GTi was scorchio, a better drive than its yuppie namesake. Even the mainstream mags admitted as much.

i can see me taking a couple of numbers for this too, should it go to a roffle.

and how french is that dash board?

it couldn't be any more french if it had a stripy top on, a beret and a string of onions about its neck, with a spitty gauloise hanging out of its mouth....

so much want, i don't need it., have no where for it to live and no real use for it, bit i want it so very, very much!

do you still have that lovely wee dolly, or has that long gone?

I would love this but don't have any money at the moment, however if it gets raffled I would be very interested.

Personally I would keep it at LHD, wouldn't using C15 parts would mean it ended up with the later dashboard? I love these quirky early ones and I think it would ruin it.

I ran my R14 for two years and found LHD not to be a problem at all.

Lovely, odd cars from that weird period just after Citroën was bought by that Peugoet - still had traditional Cit engineers but used all Pug parts yet made better cars, even if it was decreed they should be perceived as ugly. The Visa is a better car than a 205 in all but looks, for me. The GTi was scorchio, a better drive than its yuppie namesake. Even the mainstream mags admitted as much.

Perhaps a bit of rose-tinting going on there? I owned three 205GTIs (two 1.6 models and a late 1.9), and ran a Visa GTI for about 6 weeks as a company car (I worked for a subsidiary of a bank who funded motor dealers, and we had a weird gaggle of Citroen and Fiat stuff knocking about the pool). The Visa was the 105bhp model, and it was plenty quick enough but was nowhere near as chuckable as the 205. Maybe it really did handle better, but the example I tried felt pretty tired and creaky at just 30k miles. 

Well, I don't want it but can see the attraction; good luck with the sale/raffle.

In fact, I'm only commenting so I can show you what adorned my driveway 3 or 4 years ago.

20130322-IMG_9799.jpg

Still got the 205 and Visa GTi but the 505 GTI was sold and a Clio 172 added down the line, so less interesting but at least we now have one from each French manufacturer. 

Well, I don't want it but can see the attraction; good luck with the sale/raffle.

In fact, I'm only commenting so I can show you what adorned my driveway 3 or 4 years ago.

20130322-IMG_9799.jpg

Still got the 205 and Visa GTi but the 505 GTI was sold and a Clio 172 added down the line, so less interesting but at least we now have one from each French manufacturer.

Winner!!

TBH I wouldnt, though. Having some weirdo car that baffles people in Tescos carpark is all part of the fun, and getting out of the wrong side just confuses people further.

See also.....reversing round McDonalds drivethrough. The burgersmiths get really confused when you do that.

i did that a loooong time ago in a e30 lhd :D

OK, I have to ask, how do you even operate that thing? There are symbols on the in dash tombola machine that look like indicators, I can tell that you turn the ends of it to wiper or lights but what about indicators?

the rim is hiding the toggle switch and the horn is behind that

/crazyfrogs