LML star: Green Lanes & Byways

Fabergé Greggs

I have a Vespa PX. I love it. I commute daily on it.

vespa%20px125%2099%2001.jpg

I don't have a bike license so I'm riding around on L plates which I'm finding frustrating given that I appear to better understand the rules of the road than 99% of other drivers. Or at least I know how to break them politely. Also I'd like to take a passenger from time to time.

I'd like to take my bike test, direct access ideally, and I fully understand it's safety training as well, but £700? Ain't gonna happen. I'd like to do it myself on my Vespa, and given that it's a 125 and manual I could do restricted licence test on it couldn't I? NO! I hear you say! Why not? Because bureaucracy. How dare they take away my rights? You could probably fund the NHS with the money that they'd save by not ruining my life etc..

So enter the LML.. A copy of the Vespa Made under license in India. It's identical in all but name and some suspect quality electrics. WCPGW? Because of modern regs, they've got a cat and hence a bit slower in standard form than the PX that they're based on, until you unleash an extra 10th of a horse by drilling a heart shape in the air filter. True story.

vespa%20px125%2099%2001.jpg

So anyway, given that they're identical only slower, you couldn't possibly take your bike test on one could you? WRONG AGAIN! YOU CAN!! Apparently it's hard to hit the 31mph required for the MOD 1 test, but I think the naysayers aren't trying hard enough. WCPGW?

​So enter an ad on an owners forum. LML, 2 stroke (essential), 2000km, 2 years old, "broken right indicator". £MEGA BARG. I bought it about 2 months ago. Unseen obvs. The only problem is that it's 120 miles away. Several idiots on shiply claimed that they could collect it for reasonable money before changing their minds on time/date/ location. The vendor is a gent, a minister no less, and has been incredibly patient. However as God's birthday is approaching he was becoming less flexible making it harder to co-ordinate with a courier. Van hire seemed expensive and something about him told me that his arms to would be too weak to help me lift it in to a van.

FUCK IT! Train booked. I"M GONNA RIDE IT HOME. IN DECEMBER. Forecast says rain all day tomorrow. WCPGW??

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-07%20at%2021.00.

If you need a break and you're passing Bagshot in the evening do stop. Looks like you're on the northern route but Pm me if needed. I drove to Stroud last year in the 2cv to pick up some X1/9 seats and an exhaust. They took longer to fit than collect!

My mother rode a Capri 125 from Moss Side in Manchester to her home in Bexley Heath, summer and winter whilst she was a trainee teacher in the early 1960's with no breakdown cover and no mechanical knowledge, and no use of motorways.

I once rode a moped with a need for a de-coke around the lake district, travelling from Miseryside in about 5 hours to Keswick at 25 mph.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.  (Except polio)

I took my old 1970 GP Lambretta to the Isle of Wight Scooter festival a few years back, and had my uncle with his LML in tow. The Lambretta misbehaved at various points, because Lambretta. However, the LML rode without fault. As you say, iron out small weaknesses and they basically are a PX.

I don't understand why you can't take your test on a Vespa 125 though? I took mine on a cheapy Honda CG125 I bought purely to train on, do my test, and then sell as my Lambretta 150 was waiting for me.

Did you mean your Vespa struggles to hit 60mph?

What's the score with not being able to take your teat on the PX? I thought you could do restricted access on a learner legal 125. Or is the PX not strictly "learner legal"? *ahem*

It's learner legal, but just isn't fast enough to take your test on. You can take it on the Vespa T5 (a tuned PX125), or the LML Star, which is so slow it goes all the way round to being fast enough again. 

I took my old 1970 GP Lambretta to the Isle of Wight Scooter festival a few years back, and had my uncle with his LML in tow. The Lambretta misbehaved at various points, because Lambretta. However, the LML rode without fault. As you say, iron out small weaknesses and they basically are a PX.

I don't understand why you can't take your test on a Vespa 125 though? I took mine on a cheapy Honda CG125 I bought purely to train on, do my test, and then sell as my Lambretta 150 was waiting for me.

Did you mean your Vespa struggles to hit 60mph?

They ain't approved apparently. But yes, it probably does struggle. 

It can be done. I visited a friend in the village this morning; in the last few days a son wanted to go to Harry Potter World. They presumably went by car, other son with girl friend on back went on his Ninja Exeter to wherever it is - that there London I guess. That girl could be a keeper (unless she has already run for the hills). It sounded like on the return it was a stop at every services to recover enough to be able to continue.

Good luck!

itll take longer than your estimate

bring more thermals

stop lots - its not a long distance but it will feel like it

the old git rode a yamaha passola 50 from manc to tipperary in 1983

a5 wasnt dual carrigeway then and the ferry didnt take 3 hours either

took him 3 days to do 300 miles

I reckon a lot of the LML slagging comes from snobby Vespa owners. I have heard (on good authority) the wiring/wiring plugs aren't too clever, otherwise they seem to be ok.

Not being able to take your test on a PX is ludicrous, my mate was going to borrow my TX200 (no badges) to sit his CBT but in the end just had some 'T5' ones made, put them on his PX and did the test on it. Anyhow, bloody good luck and will enjoy reading of your escapades this time tomorrow.

itll take longer than your estimate

bring more thermals

stop lots - its not a long distance but it will feel like it

the old git rode a yamaha passola 50 from manc to tipperary in 1983

a5 wasnt dual carrigeway then and the ferry didnt take 3 hours either

took him 3 days to do 300 miles

Sage words from the eternal motorcyclist. Two sets of thermals packed!

I reckon a lot of the LML slagging comes from snobby Vespa owners. I have heard (on good authority) the wiring/wiring plugs aren't too clever, otherwise they seem to be ok.

Not being able to take your test on a PX is ludicrous, my mate was going to borrow my TX200 (no badges) to sit his CBT but in the end just had some 'T5' ones made, put them on his PX and did the test on it. Anyhow, bloody good luck and will enjoy reading of your escapades this time tomorrow.

I'd agree, there's some insane snobbery... but time will tell! Never thought about sticking some T5 badges on.. doh!

I reckon a lot of the LML slagging comes from snobby Vespa owners.

The ones I've seen looked well enough put together, but there were plenty of early examples that had serious engine problems, most notably crankshafts snapping. Still, probably no worse than a Vespa, and at a fraction of the price!

Good luck Mr 2shoes, and ride safe 8)

Good luck, not that you'll need it. I'm sure the vendor will throw in a cup of tea and a word upstairs to make sure you get back in one piece. 

Of course that piece might well resemble a block of ice that's gone missing from the Polar Ice Cap but it's got to be worth it to gain the eternal respect of a bunch of oddballs on the internet.