LML star: Green Lanes & Byways

Fabergé Greggs

This was knocked over on my street for the second time. It took a bit of damage to the side panel and seems to have broken the throttle grip somehow. 

I don’t have any proof, but I have a strong suspicion that it was a van with a couple of folks that were acting a bit dodgy. 

The van was sign written so I googled the company who had the sum total of two reviews. You couldn’t make this shit up...  

62209BE7-6A35-4964-87BE-106C92369A54.jpeg

It's raining today but I need to fix this. Meh. 

The damage to the side panel is on top of some other damage. Meh. 

IMG-1297.jpg

The force of the impact has jammed the throttle tube into a place it shouldn't be.

IMG-1294.jpg

Judicious use of mallets, vice grips and bad words finally had it removed. 

IMG-1296.jpg

The tube bit can be got for about £8, so not too bad. Refreshing the various bushings and washers at the same time will come to about £25.. I'll see how flush I'm feeling in the morning.. 

gasrohr_lml_vespa_px_disc_1998_l_177mm_2

MEH

Ahhhh jesus. @Cavcraft posted this on eBay tat thread lolling at how flipping bad it was. I accidentally watch listed it, got an itchy finger and BOOM. 

I've now got 2 X LML's and this fucked Vespa, plus a spare LML engine. Jesus. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vespa-GL125-1963-Custom-project-hot-rod-barn-find-restauration-/303347282577?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=RE3DWvuxJnEoHBCbiYJKnsX1Vmo%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

s-l1600.jpg

Does anyone want the Yamaha Engine? 

Yeah, it’s actually a bit of a barg. I’ve studied some extra photos and it seems pretty solid. People have a lot of luck stripping them back to original paint with nitromoors- the original paint is apparently really tough.  

The spare engine should pop right in, and hopefully I can get something for the Yamaha engine.... happy days 

Small world, it turns out I've seen this scooter in the flesh before and have chatted to the guy who's selling it- he used to be the mechanic at the now sadly closed scooterworks London: http://www.alandollar.com/scooters/scooterworksuk.htm#article. The Scooter used to belong the owner of the shop before the mechanic bought it and it's been all oer the place with them. 

That scooter shop was round the corner from my work and this was one of the first Vespas that captured my imagination: it looked impressivley ragged and was impressively fast. I remember looking back at my PX and thinking how it looked ragged in a rubbish way by comparison. This would have been 2013 or so. 

So weird that

a) I didn't recognise it, and

b) I've ended up owning it. 

RESULT! 

Went on a 5 hour round trip to pick this up today and unfortunately the frame was a bit out of true. 

Was suprisingly solid though and would have scrubbed up to be a nice ratty ride. I did umm and ahha lot cos you can have some luck straightening them, and was cheap enough to make it worth it, but in the end just didn't feel right. 

On the plus side went on a nice cruise in the BX, on the down side it had a tiny wobble.  

Boo. 

That's a pisser, he's also conveniently forgotten to mention that in the relist, too.  Are you on 'Scooters under £1,000' on Facebook at all? There's the odd good bargain on there, amongst the overpriced rubbish.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve been studying some maps and discovered some byways on the way to where I needed to get to today. Thought I’d give them a shot. A little bit muddy and rutted in places but all easily rideable.

Bonus skid at the end of the video. 

83CE4A89-C9B6-4A77-868B-DE5C3BA4E258.jpeg

95FE1283-E2EA-4586-86AB-51FF99338204.jpeg