LML star: Green Lanes & Byways

Fabergé Greggs

• 3 months later...

Took advantage of the freezing cold sunshine to throw a cheap ebay stripe kit at this today. 

Some bits were really easy. The front stripe on the legshield was hard as it's a compound curve. There's probably a way to deal with this but I don't know what it is.

It's annoying that the sections for the front mudguard are so short, too. I reckon the topmost thin stripe should continue along the entire length, but hey ho. I should probably sort that but I probably won't. 

Now I really want to paint the front wheel black along with the luggage rack...

IMG-0963.jpg
IMG-0961.jpg

• 1 month later...

BEHOLD! It's my paltry contribution to the BIG PUSH FOR CONTENT

It turns out that as we tick into 22,000kms of daily stop start London traffic that we need a new back tire. Whilst getting the front wheel on and off is a piece of pie, the back wheel is a wee bit more of a struggle. You don't quite have enough clearance on the centre stand with the rear propped up to wiggle the wheel out, meaning that as you invariably struggle to try it anyway, you rock it forward off the centre stand resulting in a 0mph sideways crash into the pavement. 

This time I tried a much more effective method. Remove the side panel, run it for a minute with the petcock off to drain the float bowl, and perform an intentional 0mph sideways crash into the pavement onto something soft. Some people say you should take the battery off too but that seemed a bit fancy. 

IMG-0982.jpg

IMG-0983.jpg

Success! Lifted it back up and after a couple of kicks it spluttered into life. It was a bit grumpy and smokey for 10 seconds so it must have flooded it a little bit. 

Oh and I got a speeding ticket, do 36mph in a 30. First time offender in 15 years of driving so they kindly offered me an awareness course. 2 days later my speedo cable broke so I need to fix that ASAP before I land another. 

The speed awareness courses aren't that bad, I've done 2 (shameface smiley)

It is a bit scary though when you see how few of your fellow drivers understand how speed limits work (NSL etc)

Would have thought you would have one of these for wheel changing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vespa-wheel-change-stand-Vespa-PX-PK-LML-etc/183670160888?hash=item2ac3983df8:g:Ag8AAOSwcB5ZLZXS:rk:1:pf:1

The speed awareness courses aren't that bad, I've done 2 (shameface smiley)

It is a bit scary though when you see how few of your fellow drivers understand how speed limits work (NSL etc)

Would have thought you would have one of these for wheel changing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vespa-wheel-change-stand-Vespa-PX-PK-LML-etc/183670160888?hash=item2ac3983df8:g:Ag8AAOSwcB5ZLZXS:rk:1:pf:1

Somehow I imagine 4 hours of a grainy DVD played through a flatscreen with speakers that sound like a telephone, hence why I booked it for 7:45am in the hope that I'll be asleep. 

I've tried the budget version of one of those stands (can of soup on socket set case) and for some reason there just isn't enough room to wiggle the tire out. I'm told that there's a couple of different lengths of centre stand kicking about, so maybe mine is a bit short. 

Have you got one of those rolly-out weather proof leg un-wetter things? When the good lady wife and I went to that there London a few months back, pretty much every scooter and 'ped on the road had one.

Have you got one of those rolly-out weather proof leg un-wetter things? When the good lady wife and I went to that there London a few months back, pretty much every scooter and 'ped on the road had one.

I do, and it's well handy for keeping you warm and dry without needing extra layers- handy as I pop around quite a bit with work. 

I hate it though, it feels really restrictive, it makes simple things like getting the keys into the ignition and getting into the glovebox that bit more awkward- so I only use it in the depths of Dec & Jan 

Oh, and the real reason I hate it: I hate the way it looks. Soz, I said it. 

I have one for the Helix - it seemed like a good idea at the time, but it flaps like Dr Who's coat at anything over 30mph. I think it's in the loft...

Mines got inflatable bits along the side to stop the flapping- never needed it though.

Still want a Helix like crazy, but ULEZ says no.

HENLO FRENS

BE0-BE868-CEA9-470-F-8237-17-E9-C69211-B

Time to replace the broken speedo cable.. These LML's have a bit of a rep for breaking speedo cables. This one lasted 3 years which is a lifetime in context. I did both outer and inner because that's the proper thing to do. 

15-ADE9-AB-87-D1-4278-904-B-1-B787-ED2-B

First: OFF WITH THE HEAD(set). 

IMG-0080.jpg

There's the top, poking out. 

IMG-0081.jpg

There's the bottom. The little devil, heading off into the speedo drive. 

IMG-0082.jpg

Access is a bit tricky, so I'm told that it's a lot easier to do it properly if you whip off the front shock. No probs, I'll whip off the front shock. Oh, the angle of the leading link is such that you can't get the bottom bolt out. No probs, I'll take the top bolts out. 

IMG-0085.jpg

Et Voila 

4582-B9-C2-9-CE8-4-DD4-8576-B6-AFF66-E13

That allows us to get to the drive bit that probably contains a bit of broken cable. 

637-F36-FF-4-BAD-49-E7-8554-9-C5-A9-BBCC

Yup. 

F7-B7-B302-4-D3-D-44-BE-A50-F-47679-B327

Thread in the new inner.. 

E6-ECB2-DC-7-B4-F-41-DD-A5-A1-307739229-

Getting the new outer and inner in place is a bit of a faff. So's putting the shock top bolts in. They're kind of captive but wiggle around and back enough to make getting the nuts on nigh on impossible. They're tucked up inside the mudguard which is awkward, All whilst trying to hold it all together with the other hand. Got there though. 

D2-C33-C7-B-AB26-48-F2-B83-E-0-B3-EB35-C

The back brake light is a bit iffy. I got a second hand Vespa PX EFL lamp unit as they're nicer than the LML ones IMO. It's always been a bit melted though and the old lamp is firmly stuck in place with an iffy connection. 

I had to make a right mess of it to get it out, the plastic had really melted around it. 

F0220505-D6-F1-41-F6-BB3-F-727-D69-F3-A7

I reshaped it with a file, and popped a new lamp in. Only had a 21w one though, and whilst I welcome the brightness, I worry it might burn out the regulator or melt the plastic again. It's meant to be 5w... 

97-E47418-AFDB-4265-B893-8-DFC350296-CF.

And all back together again.. 

44-EDEFE5-D390-4595-B4-EC-B3-BA6-C0-A5-C

and, to celebrate.. PEZ!

512-A3-F72-F15-F-4703-9-C7-E-6-A9-AAA6-B

Next up. 

For whatever reason I'm on a monochrome tip at the moment. That chrome rack is too chrome. 

E0504459-3-AFF-4-B88-9-CE1-8-D15-FC9-E9-

Gave it a rub down with some sandpaper. As we all know, prep is VERY important. It also takes AGES, so I did it for a while until I was bored and wiped it down with some prep wipes, and took it to the spray booth. I deffo didn't key it enough but life's too short. 

61-CE4143-B220-42-F6-87-F7-97-BB3-F34135

I made the very careful decision to use Plasti-coat matt black, because... I.... um.. found a can of it at work. 

Looking good. 

1-F743-EF3-E709-4-F5-F-8-A71-B3-C130-FCC

And I'm done for today. 

F48-E91-D1-DF90-4239-8-F2-C-48-BB49-CDB8

BA44-BE0-A-7193-4-D7-D-8-E34-124-BF29-D9

F3460-E65-C5-A5-424-B-94-A9-67-E80-AE929

And for comparison, when I got it. We've come a long way since the early days when the vicar had it. It wears numerous battle scars for it's tender years thanks to the cut n thrust of the smoke. 

IMG-6204.jpg
IMG-6203.jpg

Looking good anyway though.

I used to try really hard to paint things to look perfect until I realized you could get them to look 90% as good for 10% of the effort.

Also even if I spent a million years on prep I would still put too much paint on till it ran or accidentally rub it on a passing cat or something.

Your spray booth is approaching the technology levels of mine.

post-17573-0-75093100-1551128594_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

haha nice work.

horrible things bromptons though! a bickerton would be more appropriate for on here i'd say.

what's going on with that saddle?

put the lml in the vito...get the brompton on the back of the LML and a skateboard on the back of the brompton. should cover all the bases. pics please.

haha nice work.

horrible things bromptons though! a bickerton would be more appropriate for on here i'd say.

what's going on with that saddle?

put the lml in the vito...get the brompton on the back of the LML and a skateboard on the back of the brompton. should cover all the bases. pics please.

Now you’re talking!

Yeah they ride like crap. So weird to have rear suspension and a front end that feels like it’s sprung from side to side instead of up and down.. The fold is pretty amazing though. My latest obsession is converting one to electric for ULTIMATE TRANSPORT. So I’ll either do that or get bored in 2 weeks and sell it on.

• 2 weeks later...