MGF (b)ought.

Barry Cade

IMG_8253.jpg

Mine is FYD - anything for that?

£500 hammer price at an auction I wasn't supposed to be buying at plus a vigorous tigerbumming for £256 "indemnity" followed by a head gasket, a clutch, an alternator and some stainless waterpipes. It then behaved all summer and totally redeemed itself.

10/10 would continue to own just because I can.

I really rather fancy one (as well as, not instead of) especially with cream leather with contrast piping...  but, there are no cheap ones down here that I have seen (not that I've looked for a while) and the few that are cheapish, are so fucked even Jesus couldn't resurect the fuckers.

The more I look, the better this thing gets, had some fettling time earlier and got a few things fixed. It's quietened down a lot and the engine sounds as healthy as a VVc gets. Box and clutch are good, no overheating and no stored codes.everything electrical now works apart from the abs- some #&@£ had removed the bulb... Needs a rear sensor. It's growing on me every time I go out to it.

post-62-0-58634500-1480695045_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

The MGF is coming along nicely, all the mechnical stuff that needed done has been done and I'm getting the bodywork better. The neighbours must think I'm mental spraying on new year's day at 2 degrees- halfords aerosol in one hand and heat gun in the other.its now taxed and insured so gave it a run and went along to my local tyre place and fitted a couple of budget 215/40/16s on the back. As they were quiet I got to play with the Hunter alignment setup so now it tracks straight and true front and rear and drives lovely. I may leave it looking a bit unloved and just use it.

post-62-0-82171900-1483479019_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-36627100-1483479070_thumb.jpgpost-62-0-96997100-1483479119_thumb.jpg

List so far:

2 front wishbones

Front discs and pads

2 track rod ends

2 rear abs sensors

2 rear tyres

2 new wings

Heater resistor

Wiper linkage

Complete hood

Bonnet cable

Alternator belt

All the callipers were stuck

Broke 3 front subframe bolts

Broke both abs sensor bolts

Temp gauge didn't work

Abs didn't work

It's mems3. Seems pretty sprightly, but getting a shunting hesitation at about 2k. Still got plugs and leads to do, and run a couple of tankfuls through it. The filler was smeared over that tape you use on plasterboard..Duck tape would have been a stronger, better looking repair. Got a good jrj drivers door coming as the one on it now has a lot of filler in it and is a darker blue.

I think if you want one of these, buy one now..I could live without the VVC though, my 1.8i was near enough,smoother and quieter than this one, cheaper to insure and tax as well.

Apart from cost / age is the TF any less hassle ? I think it has metal suspension ?

Much harder ride,but stiffer and most say better handling. I've found them to be not so well built and rustier-early mgfs are best built and better quality.The TF came In at the early stages of project drive.. there are upsides and downsides to both the Tf and f, personal preference really! I prefer the looks and ride of the F, but the handling of the Tf. Maybe an f with suplex suspension..Bloody expensive tho.

I procrastinated too long about a white Jap spec f with air con.Decided to go for it and it was gone..:(

These are great cars and can be had for peanuts. There are no real issue with spares but headlights might be a problem in the future. 

The VVC mech can get a bit noisy at times. I thought about changing the one on my old green one but there was a piece of bodywork in the way which made the job of doing it almost impossible, unless I dropped the engine somehow or cut off the bodywork.

These are great cars and can be had for peanuts. There are no real issue with spares but headlights might be a problem in the future.

The VVC mech can get a bit noisy at times. I thought about changing the one on my old green one but there was a piece of bodywork in the way which made the job of doing it almost impossible, unless I dropped the engine somehow or cut off the bodywork.

Hyderabad thingies were an issue but they can be recharged now, and headlights resilvered, but both at a cost.. unless these prices are reasonable, more will be scrapped.. unless you convert to tf spec