MGF (b)ought.

Barry Cade

I need another F in my life, can you lot keep her eyes peeled in case I miss a cheap one. Under 500 notes, don't mind work. Saab will go if I find one as I just can't justify the insurance and tax on 2 non classic insurance 2 litre+ motors. An f's insurance is affordable. Green cars are very unlucky for me so no BRG.

OK, I,m just home with probably the world's worst MGF still clinging to an MOT.the first one on Gumtree on the post above. Went for a look with some readies, and happened upon a Tahiti blueish giffered 2001 with a flat tyre and a split back window, filler in he front wing put on with a shovel and every panel dented..aerosol "repairs" everywhere and a dead flat battery. Managed to get in to the boot even though the lock had been screwdrivers,and pulled he bonnet cable...which snapped. Whilst this was going on and the owner came out with the jack so I could get under the front to Jimmy he bonnet catch, I got a text from the wife who was sitting across the road in the Panda, which said " that's a pile of shit, you're mad... you're not serious are you?"

Of course I bought it and started heading home to Fife from Coatbridge.in rush hour traffic,in the M8 roadworks, with a dodgy battery,sticky brakes and a iffy clutch. A couple of miles in, in he queue to join the M8 the rattly engine got a bit rattlier...and the oil light as came on.

Nothing to do but try and keep the revs up, slip the clutch and keep going. On to the M8 and all he way to Harthill services, oil light on permanently and a rapidly worsening rattle of death.

In to the services and the only oil they had was managnatec...at 33 quid. :( Poured a bit in, then a bit more, only to find a growing slick spreading out at my feet...jack was under the bonnet, which of course had a snapped cable...so time for the AA, through my bank account..a bit embarrassing if you know what my job is..

Oil filter had corroded through. AA man was brilliant - took me to Livingston halfwords to get a filter, then back and fitted it. Oil light went out but it sounds horrible, real rattly top end but still plenty power and made it back no probs. I'm not even sure if it's a VVc .. I think it is.

Interior is pretty nice

Wheels are nice

Everything works

Drives pretty well

Everything else. Shite.

Perfect...

Here's the ungrateful incontinent wee bastard sitting in a puddle of its own pish at Harthill

post-62-0-77163100-1480386141_thumb.jpg

OK, update.. It's still horrible, but has some redeeming features. I've fixed the srs light, topped up the oil to the max and now it's just VVC rattly rather than fucked rattly.. it is a VVC and does have plenty power, spun the wheels a few times on the way home last night, but that could have just been rear tyres on the limit..covered in oil... front tyres are new, as are the headlights and the front subframe looks like a fairly recent replacement. fixed the radio, central locking and interior lights. Gaffa taped the splits in the rear window for now. Ran a diagnostic on it and had a load of historical faults, but all cleared and none came back..live readings are all AOK. everything electrical works! My parts list is growing but nothing TOO horrible or expensive yet.

This was the cause of a lot of the horrible noise- VVC belt sawing through the cover. No idea how!

post-62-0-25903100-1480427854_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-54642000-1480427908_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-21685200-1480427952_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-54837400-1480427975_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-22666000-1480427995_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-13962500-1480428021_thumb.jpg

Anyone got any recommendations on good stuff to stick on a rear view mirror? It has fallen off, and they've just snipped the wires to the interior lights.

Anyone got any recommendations on good stuff to stick on a rear view mirror? It has fallen off, and they've just snipped the wires to the interior lights.

I've used this stuff on various cars and never had to redo it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-view-mirror-bond-repair-adhesive-for-rear-view-mirrors-autocare-/152136963162?hash=item236c11d45a:g:IGsAAOSwc1FXZ8KF

Good luck with the F, looking forward to updates.

Great little cars these when properly set up and current prices are just too low not to buy. I have two of these currently, a similar blue one but in very good condition which I bought locally in the next village and a purple drunken eBay purchase bought from London as my first mgf was that colour. The London car was just over £200 with full mot and came with a hardtop which can be sold for c£200 as I did with some of my previous ones. It is virtually free motoring at this kind of price. My last mg tf was £230 with full mot and a bit tatty but fun to drive, it failed its test in a big way but sold as a spares or project for the same money and is now being rebuilt by a local guy as a winter project.

I cannot understand how a mid engined sports at can be so cheap when they drive so well and it can only be badge snobbery surrounding modern mg and rover products by those who pay hundreds monthly for a German premium brand. Still it works for me.