Raffle - Renault Vel Satis - £7.5 ticket

chodweaver

Dear Sirs, Madams and Otters

Some of you may recall how the opportunity to own a prime piece of French chod was STOLEN from you about a year ago, from underneath your very noses by an unscrupulous lurking fiend of the worst type.

But he (me) seeks to redeem himself by once again offering said beigeness...

this 2003 Renault Vel Satis 2.0T Privilege is up for grabs

post-19003-0-38633800-1480026506_thumb.jpg

Its price has gone up a bit (£590), as I need to recoup some of the spend on it, but I feel this is justified by its:

Long MOT. Only advisories – pitted/scored discs at all corners. They’ve been unprotected while I’ve worked on the parking brake – see below

Working parking brake (I sourced a cable from Cablecraft.ie to replace the unobtainium Renault item that had seized and meant the parking brake only worked on one wheel)

Working disc player (this had a disc stuck in it when I purchased the car)

Backlight of HVAC console repaired

Four new tyres of some obscure but reasonably able rubber (Forceum Octas)

The turbo oil return pipe no longer drips oil on the exhaust, so you can demist and ventilate with impunity

Oil, oil filter, air filter and gearbox oil changed

Four new pencil coils fitted (there were occasional misfires)

New upstream oxygen sensor fitted (failed MOT pre-test on emissions, SOOO far out – now it has no emissions issues)

New rear engine mount (this was shot to bits and starting to affect the gearchange)

New n/s/f anti roll bar drop link – replaced due to the upper boot being torn

New rear anti roll bar bushes – ordered before I found a shite way of sorting the annoying rattle from the rear anti roll bar over rough surfaces (which was the application of some pvc tape around the anti roll bar where the bushes hold it)

I'm also including a new set of brake pads for front and back that are rattling around in the boot, awaiting fitting

The bad bits

The mileage. It’s 244k and obviously done some time as a cab of some kind, but probably airports. Having said that, there's almost no rust on it, much of the car being aluminium, and the engine is still sweet, not using or burning oil, or losing coolant.

The giffer dents and scratches. There’s a lot

The previous repairs to the parking brake unit that had been effected by application of a tin opener to the boot floor and then closed up with self tappers, roofing felt and seam sealer. I’ve fabbed up a panel that now covers the hole up somewhat better and can be easily removed when the parking brake next needs attention.

The tyre pressure monitor system puts on the Service display for two reasons – one of the sensors on the o/s/r wheel is not in its original position and hence is not recognised by the system. The n/s/r wheel has no sensor at all and I CBA to buy a used one, fit it and get it recognised by the system.

The clutch release bearing – at idle, this rattles like a good’un, until you dip the clutch. I strongly suspect that this was not replaced when the clutch was last done. I don't think the gearbox has any problems, the oil that came out when I changed it was not in bad shape, and there was the right volume of it. All changes are good.

The daft Renault credit card ignition key. It works but it’s ready to self-destruct.

Much of the plastic trim on the centre console and some of the dash has gone sticky

The two front windows only move 5cm at a time. The reset method that I’ve found on various forums has not worked.

The o/s rear lamp cluster has a few cracks in it. It’s not falling apart and it doesn’t leak white light, so it’s not been an MOT failure or even an advisory.

The reverse parking sensor beeps when you engage reverse, but doesn't seem to do any more than that. Probably explains at least some of the giffer dents...

The good bits

They're not kidding about the seats. Renault took a good leather suite, and bolted it in. With heaters. And electric controls. And cup holders. And three zone heating. None of the leather is ripped, but it's not completely pristene.

The stereo is a belter.

Driving the thing is a very pleasant experience.

So, there you have it. The price is by pure coincidence* divisible by 59. You have another chance…

Moira pics tomorrow, if you're interested

Ohhhh lordy lordy.

The missus has been going on at me that we really don't need 2 big cars + 1 medium car and that I should get rid of one of the big cars to get something small and fun. So I really, really need to close this window, resisting the strong temptation to buy a ticket.... :(

It's payday tomorrow too!

Nah, I found out about this Irish operation from one of the Renault forums - they have all the right bits to make a new parking brake cable from scratch, needing only the length measurements of the inner and outer. About 40 quid plus the postage. Couldn't tell it from an OEM part, it was that well done. Would use again +++++++

www.cablecraft.ie 

1. jollyfkr2

7. WilsonWilson

11. The Moog

16. AMC Rebel

23. Keymaster

26. spartacus

27. 95 quid Peugeot

28. gadgetgricey

29. drum

31. Keymaster

35. AMC Rebel

36. jollyfkr2

39. njgleeds

44. Cavcraft

51. Cheggers

55. The Moog

There was SOOO MUCH WANT for it when it first appeared, I felt a tad guilty about denying so many shiters of even a chance of owning it, so I always meant to keep it in the fold. It was something of a consolation prize for not being able to find an XM that was usable and it's been a nice thing to have. But it hasn't stopped me wanting an XM, and the eagle-eyed of you may have picked up on the delage red XM that LP linked on the ebay tat thread a couple of weeks ago and then got sold before the auction ended. Yup, that was me. Again. So now the Renner has to go (before I get a letter from the council)

It's just north of Stoke on Trent, in Congleton, but as you'll note from where I went for the XM, I'm not averse to a bit of a long drive, so can help with delivery issues. It is however not currently insured and is SORNd.