Prime Ministerial motors.

Barry Cade

Watching the news earlier,I was raging that our chancellor,on his way to parliament to tell us all how fu##ed our economy is, was collected from No10 in a 7 series. I know Maggie loved her P5B and always seemed to see Cameron's in an XJ. Does this boil anyone elses piss that our politicians don't buy British? Would you see Merkel coming out the Reichstag and getting into an Alfa? Or Hollande in a Superb...

Totally agree!  Why on earth would they use a 7 series when you can still buy a Brit-built Jag or Range Rover?  I know we don't have that much car industry here now but if anyone needs to be seen supporting it, it's HMG.

I agree 100%, but it's possible that in post-industrial Britain it looks cooler to be seen in whatever's perceived by the masses as best/most suitable, I've known some who would react to a comment about UK Ministers riding about in foreign machinery by seeing it as a borderline xenophobic remark.

Perhaps it was more crawling to the EU/Merkel by the previous incumbents as we continued to support German industry?

Yes, McLarens and Morgans would be ace! Although Maclarens would be more suitable for some of the less intelligent ones who we've had to suffer in recent years.

I expect it's to do with the overall cost of running the fleet. I seem to recall the Tories cut Ministerial drivers in 2010, and if the driving duties are now out-sourced then the trade-off may be that they don't get to choose the cars.

In my experience of working on Whitehall, justifying costs would far outweigh any potential damage to perceptions, even where the Chancellor is concerned (perhaps more so).

I don't see why it's unsuitable to use a vehicle made in the country you're supposed to be running

It's rare to see anybody important enough to have a car supplied by the government here and appear on TV not to have something that's at least not an American marque (even if it's made in Mexico, damnit, it's Chevrolet)

Anything else would be unpatriotic.

Unless he's meant to be perceived by the public as a complete tosser, why is he in a large modern BMW? (Xenophobia turned on its' head there, in favor of stereotypical views).

--Phil

The PM is still driven in a Jag, on the day May took office she arrived in a 7 Series but left in the Jag. On the same day her successor as Home Secretary was shown arriving in a Prius but departing in the 7.

I've always assumed it's because you can buy armoured 7s off the shelf so would be a lot cheaper than having bespoke bulletproof Jags for high risk ministers it Chancellor, Home and Foreign Secretary's and in the old days NI Minister, not sure about now though.

Other randoms I've noticed in armoured 7's include the US Ambassador, Tony Blair and Al Fayed.

If I was PM (it could happen!) I would dust off the black P5B to maximise the 'coolness' factor in the eyes of my humble and grateful subjects.

Did anyone see the photos of the Crystal Palace player who turned up to training in a 1993 Mini and park it next to all the wrapped Lincoln Escalades and Bentley whatevers. Same thing....dont follow the herd...do your own thing....get a Rover Mrs May! .....and if you must drive a foreign car, ditch the 7 series and get a 63 Galaxie!

I didn't get a say about the refurbishment of Buckingham palace, will they get the polish builders in? Our steel industry is gone, but the new forth bridge is made with Chinese steel.

BUT. We need more manufacturing,more apprentices,more jobs. Don't want to go all political but surely product placement works even if it is news at 10. When the Olympics were on, London was full of BMW. Why aren't the "British" firms not pushing as hard as they can. I'd be happier to see Hammond in a quashqai...

If I was PM (it could happen!) I would dust off the black P5B to maximise the 'coolness' factor in the eyes of my humble and grateful subjects.

Did anyone see the photos of the Crystal Palace player who turned up to training in a 1993 Mini and park it next to all the wrapped Lincoln Escalades and Bentley whatevers. Same thing....dont follow the herd...do your own thing....get a Rover Mrs May! .....and if you must drive a foreign car, ditch the 7 series and get a 63 Galaxie!

My most recent taxi driver in Dublin claims Bono drives a 1980s white VW Golf convertible around Dublin.

I didn't get a say about the refurbishment of Buckingham palace, will they get the polish builders in? Our steel industry is gone, but the new forth bridge is made with Chinese steel.

BUT. We need more manufacturing,more apprentices,more jobs. Don't want to go all political but surely product placement works even if it is news at 10. When the Olympics were on, London was full of BMW. Why aren't the "British" firms not pushing as hard as they can. I'd be happier to see Hammond in a quashqai...

I'll ask Edward on the 12th. Had my invite to Christmas drinkies today.

You don't see the French president in anything other than Citroen or Renault. Rumour has it that the only reason Citroen put the c6 into production was a request and a guaranteed purchase of rather a lot by the Elysee palace.

Chirac would only ever be driven in a cx- I sat in one of his presidential cars a few years ago- it had Velcro on the dashboard for the security to stick their guns!

Boris Johnson: Toyota Previa 12_Politicians_Cars_Toyota.jpg

In 2014, the former Mayor of London was pictured filling his ageing Toyota Previa with fuel. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, we fully endorse running a car on a budget. But surely the former Mayor should have been out riding one of his Boris Bikes?

Boris wins, again. I wouldn't vote for him, but he's very entertaining.

I submitted an FoI request on this very matter to the Home Office in December 2014, and after a year, I got a politely-worded reply, the gist of which was FUCK OFF AND MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. I gave up waiting for a reply from the Cabinet Office (it's their area of influence, apparently) and left it in the hands of my MP a couple of months ago.