Turnastone Garage - anybody ever been? Autoshite meeting/excursion location maybe?

doubleyeller

Somewhere in deepest darkest Herefordshire at the foot of the Black mountains, lies this delightfully run down and quaint filling station, still serving fuel from 1950s pumps over the garden wall. I would love to visit some day, has anybody on here ever been? I think it would make a wonderful excursion or a location for an Autoshite get together!

36643676.jpg

I'd love to see that, but it's a long, long way from me.

That's my problem too! The owner is 67 and without issue, so it may not be open for very much longer, although happily it is listed, including the pumps! Several garages in affluent areas over the years have bought old Avery Hardoll pumps, and sold fuel at a nostalgia premium to MGB owners and the like. What's great is that there is no nostalgia or attempt at preservation at this garage - it just hasn't changed much over the century or so it has been running! There is a long history associated with this place, the present owner's Grandfather used to refuel the first "string bag" airplanes in the field behind, and in fact I think it was the second petrol station to open in England.

Would the owner be pre informed about our potential meet up? Or just have a heart attack when 40 assorted chods turn up all 'needing fuel', taking photo's, discussing the finer merits of the fuel pumps and cooking square sausage on a gas camping stove on the bonnet of a volvo?

Would the owner be pre informed about our potential meet up? Or just have a heart attack when 40 assorted chods turn up all 'needing fuel', taking photo's, discussing the finer merits of the fuel pumps and cooking square sausage on a gas camping stove on the bonnet of a volvo?

Well he does have classic and vintage cars visiting all the time - if he approves of your wheels, apparently he asks you to sign his guest book.

The Scotsmen with their Lorne sausages and Volvos? Probably better than Nazis cooking Bratwurst and Sauerkraut on the engine of a Panzer, before rolling on to take Abergavenny - the last threat of invasion this place faced! 😆

Well he does have classic and vintage cars visiting all the time - if he approves of your wheels, apparently he asks you to sign his guest book.

The Scotsmen with their Lorne sausages and Volvos? Probably better than Nazis cooking Bratwurst and Sauerkraut on the engine of a Panzer, before rolling on to take Abergavenny - the last threat of invasion this place faced!

Don't tell the owner though, he thinks it's 1879, judging by the newspaper headline.

I found a few of these places in rural Ireland (on both sides of the border) - they don't have the history or the listing but they are pretty cool.

There's very few open small stations open in Ireland; but still plenty with old pumps outside. Google 'Pattersons Garage Delgany Wicklow' a really beautiful one that closed earlier this year; the building beside it you can see is fascinating, was originally a Victorian spa where one could take the waters of Bristol

Somewhere in deepest darkest Herefordshire at the foot of the Black mountains, lies this delightfully run down and quaint filling station, still serving fuel from 1950s pumps over the garden wall. I would love to visit some day, has anybody on here ever been? I think it would make a wonderful excursion or a location for an Autoshite get together!

When?

Lunchtime today

post-17481-0-76220400-1479744375_thumb.jpg

7 gallons unleaded, delivered by professional.

Electric pump with modern nozzle. Hoped to see a manual pump.

post-17481-0-62402100-1479744566_thumb.jpg

Diesel also available. Cash only, no credit facilities.

WIll use again as it is only a couple of miles out of the way if I go home the pretty way. 

I found a few of these places in rural Ireland (on both sides of the border) - they don't have the history or the listing but they are pretty cool.

Could you list a few for me please? I'd love to have a poke around some. There's one about 5 minutes from the border in Jonesborough Co.Armagh

These two were allegedly still going - although neither was open when I was there -

Norn Iron

post-20411-0-54555600-1479751221_thumb.jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Liscloon+Post+Office/@54.8789467,-7.2645281,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x485fdf9dfc246605:0x17025f9490e3a7b2!8m2!3d54.8789467!4d-7.2623394

The Republic

post-20411-0-40030000-1479751516_thumb.jpg

This one's in Donegal - I can't make Google Maps find it - according to the phone the co-ordinates are 

55°14'59.7"N7°37'25.6"E

Just unearthed my photos, not the one at the top of the page although the Sierra was still there.

4014955768_cd705fd8a8_o.jpg

Village Shop and Petrol Station, Herefordshire by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

4014191745_3e8d373d72_o.jpg

Village Shop and Petrol Station, Herefordshire by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

4014191521_f3c3cab982_o.jpg

Village Shop and Petrol Station, Herefordshire + Ford Sierra by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Mine were from back in 2007.

• 3 years later...
21 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

Noooooo! 15 minutes ago I sent a book for proof-reading and publishing which contains a hefty section on this very place! 

Which is my way of saying - oh dear, poor chap, rest in peace. (Sorry)

I made him promise not to retire until I had completed a photo set of classics being fueled for a Calendar. 

He kept his promise

He died instead