The world's worst LS400. COME GET IT DOME!

Supernaut

Once I'm actually at home in daylight (i.e. tomorrow) I'll get some photos of the Xantia and put it up for sale somewhere... Maybe Retro Rides, they'll like the insta-stance.

Ideally I'd like to get rid of the Xantia then focus some attention / funds on the Civic currently sitting in Ellon. Oh yes, still not forgotten about that! The LS400 isn't really a long-term thing, just a blat-about-in-it-until-it-kersplodes kind of thing. I can afford to keep running the LS400 indefinitely for now though.

I may use some funds from the Xantia sale to find some Mk1 RAV4 wheels with mud & snow tyres on them, to make the LS400 a true WBoD.

It seems the clasp around the edge of the airbox holds the filter in place perfectly well without the front cover of the airbox being present. No need to faff about with drills, and it's easily reversible.

post-19977-0-75248700-1479550096_thumb.jpg

I'm going to visit a friend 40 miles away today, so I'll report back later on how it sounds.

If that's where the airbox lives I'd be tempted to go bazza cone filter anyway.

It has a natty little duct from just above the grille that runs across to it, it's just moved out of the way for that photo.

Verdict: Fun. It sounds no different at lower revs, but when I engage power mode and stomp it, it's hilarious. :D

Dilemma!

Tayne just visited and gave me a sense of perspective.

Yes, it is a nice car, but it cost £200, is a bit scabby and has 150k miles on it. I'm very much a member of autoshite for deeming it 'too nice' to thrash mercilessly round a track. It is, however, all but disposable for the price I paid for it. I find myself wondering whether to tidy it up a bit, or just thrash it mercilessly, as above. Perhaps even strip the interior to make it a TRACK WEAPON.

I know that the smart choice is to spend as little as possible on it and get that Civic Aerodeck sorted, as it's a much more realistic long-term proposition. However, the LS400 is bloody lovely!

Somebody over on RR informed me that I can cut big holes in the air box and make it sound like this:

I know what I'm doing on Saturday!

V6 Capri 2.8i.... "Drill several FffOff holes in bottom of plastic air induction box"...... 8)

Brought to you by the man who wears the "..old enough to have heard/seen it all B4" - Tshirt

TS

Dilemma!

What Dilemma?

Tayne just visited and gave me a sense of perspective.

.. it is a nice car, it cost £200, 

Still cannot see any Dilemma.

Seriously though use it as you want or you will end up not enjoying it as you should.

Try not to modify it beyond being able to put it back in case YOU don't like what you have done.

Carry on :)

Fair enough.

I think the next thing on my to-do list is to fit the supplied O2 sensors to the exhaust. I may need to get it on a ramp or lift to do this. There is a Ramp It Up in Arbroath though...

I also need to replace the bulb in the courtesy light.

My courtesy light is not very courteous.

Turns out it doesn't need a bulb, as it comes on when I unlock the car, but once I've been driving around in it then switched it off, it doesn't come on when I open the door, but the footwell lights do come on. Oh well.

Also, my AS dealer sticker is now in the rear window, but you wouldn't know as it's that heavily tinted!

Replacing the pre-cat lambda sensors has made zero difference to the 2k rpm idle when cold. Hmm. Time to actually be methodical instead of throwing the parts supplied with the car at it.

Also, I just had a good prod around the non-functioning air horns fitted to it. Just a small electric compressor with a live and an earth wire. However, both wires are connected like they're earths. The live wire isn't actually connected to a live feed. Whoever fitted it was a fucking genius! I'm debating whether to try getting a live feed off the existing horns, as they're right next to the air horns.

Replacing the pre-cat lambda sensors has made zero difference to the 2k rpm idle when cold. Hmm. Time to actually be methodical instead of throwing the parts supplied with the car at it.

Also, I just had a good prod around the non-functioning air horns fitted to it. Just a small electric compressor with a live and an earth wire. However, both wires are connected like they're earths. The live wire isn't actually connected to a live feed. Whoever fitted it was a fucking genius! I'm debating whether to try getting a live feed off the existing horns, as they're right next to the air horns.

When cold the ECU is probably 'open loop' so will be ignoring the lambda value anyway. A high fast idle seems to be a Lexus feature (probably to heat up the CAT ASAP) mine will drop down if the throttle is blipped or put into Drive.

Watch how much power the compressor draws, you might be safer with a relay triggered off the existing horn wire.

Watch how much power the compressor draws, you might be safer with a relay triggered off the existing horn wire.

There is actually a secret button down near the boot release that's unmarked. Not tried pressing it yet. It may operate the air horns.

Anyway, after more reading, a common cause of the high idle is the idle control valve. It's right at the top-front of the engine, but there's loads of stuff in the way making it difficult to get out. From most sources, a good clean sorts out the idle issues. 2k RPM is NOT normal for a cold idle (even though it does warm up quite nicely doing it).

post-19977-0-80602100-1480863612_thumb.jpg

Who wants this V8 liability on wheels then?

Good points

- V8 noise

- Waft

- MOT until June 2017

Bad points

- V8 fuel usage

- scabby body work

- TIMING BELT ROULETTE

- Slow leak in the front left tyre

- Utterly fucked brake disc somewhere on the car (no thanks to taking it round Knockhill a few times today) resulting in it feeling like it's about to shake you off the road when you brake at anything above 50mph

- The bonnet also vibrates worryingly at motorway speeds

- Something somewhere is borked, causing it to idle at 2,000RPM when cold, but it settles down again when warmed up.

- Goona 2 levels of electrical reliability*

*The following is a list of things that don't currently work as of today: Heated seats, electric windows, electric seat adjustment, electric steering wheel adjustment, internal boot release (you can open it with the key though), central locking, backlight on the radio.

With all this in mind, you'd need to be a fucking lunatic to want a raffle ticket. That's why two are already spoken for.

17. 17-Coffees

24. Tickman

At least I can now say I've owned a V8, then go back to focussing my attention on my sensible cars. The Xantia will be staying a while longer yet.