A/S bike 220sli , MOT status=achieved ! She rides again

omegod

After 6 months of blissfully happy and completely trouble free motoring it's squeaky bum time, I've planned to restore the body work but I've got as far as pushing the side indicator back into the rusty front wing and a few other superficial bit's are crusty but hopefully aren't structural. Apart from a slightly wooly handbrake it seems mechanically A1 so hopefully this maiden can defy the philistines and naysayers and achieve another years grace.

Gentleman, please cross your bit's and bob's around 09:30 am

Well that was quite harrowing, especially when his hammer went through the sill !

So:

Center pipe needs replacing or welding as it's leaking

Off side ball joint and track rod end needs replacing ( I can do these just about)

Nearside rear trailing arm bush is fucked ( Never done one and apparently a bit of a twat to do needing a lift )

Rear brakes aren't up to scratch but a clean/lube up may help but could well be new calipers needed

Handbrake is shite but as above a clean and adjust of the cable may sort it

There's now a decent sized hole in the passenger sill that needs welding

So what to do?  I don't have a lift or a welder and the trailing arm looks to be a bastard of a job, estimate for the welding work and trailing arm runs into a couple of hundred I really don't have at the minute and i'm struggling with a damaged shoulder but will be able tackle the other bit's.  

This could very well be the end of the legendary Rover of many shiters. If anyone is able to assist with the weldy bit's and trailing arm I'd be mighty grateful 

Which end of the trailing arm? If it is the front they are easy........leave the arm on the car. Drop it down....arm yourself with proper sledge hammer and some bits of wood. More complete details available if desperate.

In your position I'd be returning it to Bollox under warranty though

Normal for R8 stuff that and all surmountable.  Bushes can be done without a lift, depending which one is gone depends how difficult it is.  The really big bush on the trailing arm is the usual suspect for failing, readily available and can by done with axles stands and a trolley jack.  Other bushes and rear suspension components can be more difficult but again, you don't need a lift to do it all, a lift just makes life fucktonnes easier.  As per Alf's post above, hammers, wood etc. are your friend.

Pretty sure you can still get R8 sills new, though you'll likely get away with a patch if it's gone anything like they normally do.  They seem to be an honest car when it comes to rust, what you can see is generally what you've got to deal with.

Which end of the trailing arm? If it is the front they are easy........leave the arm on the car. Drop it down....arm yourself with proper sledge hammer and some bits of wood. More complete details available if desperate.

In your position I'd be returning it to Bollox under warranty though

One nearest the front, I've been reading a few guides and they are quoting big hammer action too, may be easier to remove it completely for a better swing.

In terms of warranty there are 9 previous owners on here I believe, Mr-bollox I nearly removed your plaque in disgust today such was my dissapointment.  

That sill was welded last time I had it MOT'd, it didn't cost much but it's not pretty under there from what I remember. New sills might be best but if that's not an option then just add to the patches!

Those trailing arm bushes have also been an ongoing issue as they're very worn and do make the handling a bit dicey so no bad thing they have to be replaced, I was quoted £70 a side to have them done but never got around to it.

As for the handbrake, it's failed loads of MOTs on that and they've always responded to a cleanup to get a pass so hopefully this is more of the same.

Let's see some updated pictures, it's good that the old crate is still going.

Her being a bit of a whore helps when you can get feedback like that, thanks it's very helpful, she's not pretty underneath nor on top really but she's got under my skin a bit. I'm going to have to DIY it as it's been a crazy month after changing jobs and my pay getting screwed up.

I'm pretty sure I can do the mechanics even with a fucked shoulder and will prep the sill and fashion a patch to suit and hopefully find someone cheap to buzz it in, as said anyone near Merseyside who can help with the sparkly bit I'd be a happy bunny and will provide expert professional guidance on any substance misuse issues ( plus a couple of quid) in exchange :-)  

Have some before-and-after pictures of my attempts to tidy up the rusty bits, probably about 2 years ago.  Probably about the worst and best it's ever looked when I've known it, although the white turned out to be a poor match.

It went to Pride of Longbridge looking like it did in the first picture, only dirtier.  I was quite proud to have one the worst-looking car in the show, until a shiter pointed out a Princess that had actual holes in the bodywork.  

post-5492-0-04017600-1478947516_thumb.jpg

post-5492-0-06997300-1478947533_thumb.jpg

There's something about this car I can't quite put my finger on but it does get under your skin, it's quite the most comfortable car I think I've ever had.  I bought it off Mastervan in 2013 intending to use it for 6 weeks until the MOT ran out and then bin it, seeing as the screen was cracked, the windscreen frame was rotten and the waterpump was incontinent.  Instead, I used it the following weekend to tow a trailer full of kayaks up a number of very steep hills whilst full of gear and a full complement of passengers and it didn't complain much at all.  I spent far too much money on it in the next 6 months, waterpump, radiator, windscreen, welding, paint...worth it!

My thread on it is here: http://autoshite.com/topic/14775-220sli-roverdue-maintenance/?hl=220sli

I had the same MOT crisis and the Autoshite hive mind were no help at all in persuading me to give it a dignified end, it ended up being much less expensive than first anticipated which helped a lot.

Yo Omegod, if you can get to Nantwich on Sunday I could probably weld this up for you if its not chronic. I really could do with some better pics before committing though as I don't want to get embroiled in an all-nighter!

Wow that's an amazing offer and if still possible I'd like to accept, I'll get some pictures up when photobucket stops being a pain and pm you. It measures 10cmx3cm and there seems to be solid metal around it and the inner sill lip is intact but the outer lip is a part of the weld needed. Pics aren't much better as my iphone camera is shite

4B9B6050-3B6A-4887-BCA1-823D3D0C252A_zps

0A96BFC9-E12B-49BB-B1BD-8A9E8BF1BC56_zps

Fuck me not another owner how many of us have had a go of her ?

After a run down to see the very pleasant, kind and generous previous owner of the Roverwhore, Mr_Bollox I now have had my hole filled in. Welding is a dark art to me and I'm sure is lot harder than he made it look.  This community is second to none in terms of the quality of people willing to help each other out. I'll get the rest of the parts required and crack on when time allows