workshop, what heat and light?

Tickman

I have a large workshop which is made of corrugated steel and is a little chilly at times. 

Also the wiring is a little poor so I am rewiring it at present.

Looking for suggestions as to what heater to use as the idea of going and starting can be a little off putting as it is cold. I know I should just get on with it but it just another motivation killer.

It has no heat at present and lighting is by a few strip lights which either don't work or trip the breaker in the new consumer unit I put in (old metal light switches which are not earthed, great fun* trying switches)

What heat do you use/recommend?

What lighting do you use/recommend?

Obviously it looks nothing like this!

post-17457-0-19291900-1477660613_thumb.jpg

Because it looks like this but now less tidy!

post-17457-0-62809700-1477660731_thumb.jpg

man up i say, lol

if i had that garage, i'd work in me undies. it looks like heaven, especially when compared to my 9x18ft single car garage with most the roof missing.

on a serious note, i was told some old styled greenhouse heaters were good and quite economical to run ?

Salamander waste oil fuelled workshop heater, it does exactly what it says  keeps your salamanders warm.

Here's some aussie making an aussie version of one. Useful for making toast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJgh5DXv9GI

That looks great/horrific not sure which :)

man up i say, lol

if i had that garage, i'd work in me undies. it looks like heaven, especially when compared to my 9x18ft single car garage with most the roof missing.

on a serious note, i was told some old styled greenhouse heaters were good and quite economical to run ?

The space is great and has been a long time coming, previous working space was at the side of the road which has a massive camber on it which made car jacking fun*

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371479630493?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have just got one of these for my modest sized shed.

The good thing about it is the chimney is made from a length of cheap two and a half inch exhaust pipe that exits out through the top of the wall keeping all the generated heat in the building.

Although its tiny it does the job really well untill i can get my arse in gear and make something bigger out of an old calor gas bottle.

Wierd my previous response seems to have vanished. Before you look at heating you need to insulate the place, ideally 100mm kingspan is what you need (because its non flammable unlike polystyrene) but even a 40mm layer will make a big difference.

Then once you aren't trying to warm the world a waste oil burner with the chimney going straight up and through the roof will chuck out loads of heat for almost zero cost other than running a compressor (depending on which type you go for) 

Edit arse covering here but use a bit of common sense, don't spray paint in front of it or play with petrol while sitting on the housing......

IR panel heaters where you're working in the main, instant heat and it doesn't take an hour to warm up and then still stay cool because all the heat fecks off through the walls (guess who has a metal walled workshop!)

I am liking this idea, seems to fit the requirements better than most others, quick warm up and fully controllable.

This may have been perfectly timed with the up coming VAT free day at Machine Mart!

Wierd my previous response seems to have vanished. Before you look at heating you need to insulate the place, ideally 100mm kingspan is what you need (because its non flammable unlike polystyrene) but even a 40mm layer will make a big difference.

Then once you aren't trying to warm the world a waste oil burner with the chimney going straight up and through the roof will chuck out loads of heat for almost zero cost other than running a compressor (depending on which type you go for) 

Edit arse covering here but use a bit of common sense, don't spray paint in front of it or play with petrol while sitting on the housing......

It is shaped like a half barrel and rather large!

I was looking at the spray foam insulation but that is costly and will have to be saved up for!

I am liking this idea, seems to fit the requirements better than most others, quick warm up and fully controllable.

This may have been perfectly timed with the up coming VAT free day at Machine Mart!

I have one over the main bench, one small one in the lathe room (keeps condensation off it), and one on a portable stand so I can shift it if I'm working somewhere out of range of the main one!

I had three IR heaters in my workshop above working areas (bench and two ramps) and unless you were right under them and stayed under them they were just about adequate and no more.

Gave up on them alone and got a waste oil burner (thermobile AT307) that is still fitted and going strong 25 years later.

http://www.msge.co/workshop-equipment/heating/thermobile-at307-waste-oil-heater.html

I've got a waste oil burner...it takes an hour just to knock the chill off...they might be fine in something with brick or lined walls but steel is a bit less forgiving!

Does it use a fan or compressed air to run as well? All the ones I've seen did and to be honest you wouldn't be able to stand in front of them with the amount of heat coming off...

Oo, is there one coming up? They have some ramps that look perfect for me, but I've been waiting for their next VAT free day.

blog_fletcher_stove1.jpg

d949c3615e9f81a08ca52a6ccafb3475.jpg

I rewired part of our house by the light of one of those lamps. What else can you do on november evenings when the power is off until you connect enough sparks together? I thought I'd set light the place when I stood up & it was all smokey. Turned out to be condensation evaporating & the room had a 3ft cloud below the ceiling with the heat off the lamp!

Oo, is there one coming up? They have some ramps that look perfect for me, but I've been waiting for their next VAT free day.

I believe they come up quite frequently.

This is the anniversary of one I had years ago so maybe the system works that way.

If you need anything then let me know as there is an online code!

There are diesel type Salamanders that are pressurised. They blow off massive heat for a bit, then you can put them off. 

Other than that and the stuff suggested, I think people all over the country have problems with big workshops, large head heights and poor insulation. Especially if a bad winter or big freezing winds. Hard to win in winter.

If garage is small enough to heat you will rarely get your car in there.

Mine is 6mx4m  and 4m high. Feckin' only car ever in there was a Locost 7 and the time it took me to build it I had put too much weight on to get in the beggar! :-D

Here hoping for a mild winter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371479630493?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have just got one of these for my modest sized shed.

The good thing about it is the chimney is made from a length of cheap two and a half inch exhaust pipe that exits out through the top of the wall keeping all the generated heat in the building.

Although its tiny it does the job really well untill i can get my arse in gear and make something bigger out of an old calor gas bottle.

This actually looks usable - what do you burn in it and have you sleeved the exhaust pipe as it passes through the wall?

Its a double edged sword im afraid, i have also now got a huge barn where space is not a problem but i will have to spend a few quid getting the lighting right and as for heating thats not going to happen.

I will eventually stop he wind by boarding the inside of the barn as 3 sides have gaps in the slats for previous airflow which i dont need but with a very high roof heating will be a waste of time so i will build a small workshop in one corner which can be heated and on the really cold days i will potter about in there.

LEDs are best for lighting as great lumen output per watt and available in daylight colour for better light and they dont need to warm up on cold days like flourescents, the only downside with leds is the initial cost but depending on how long your using them there will be a payback in electricity costs (eventually).

The cheapest way to light a large area (not including running costs) would be to fit metal halide lowbay fittings, but dont put in the similar sons as they are shite.

Following with interest as I'm about to build a garage. It's 18 x 8 metres and will be fitted out as temporary living accommodation while we build the house. That means it will be well insulated and I'm planning the layout in such a way that I can leave at least one partition in for when it reverts to a garage.

It will have electric heaters while we're living in it and a woodburner, but I do fancy a waste oil heater and wonder if an oil fired boiler could use waste oil and heat some radiators.