Aldi cutting and grinding discs and flap discs

stripped fred

Watch out removing the guard I did this on mine to fit a cutting disc, with the intention of re fitting it once the disc wore down. It caught and my hand slipped, made a nice job of slicing my knuckles, I was glad I had gloves on or it could have been worse. Not something I would ever repeat, plus it ruined a good pair of gloves!

Those flap discs are the dogs nads, far faster and a better surface finish than a grinding disc when dressing welds and rough edges etc.

Peeps DO NOT use grinders without the wheel guard, if you feel you need to remove it for better access in some places then you are using the wrong tool...............PERIOD !

I've seen a thing or two.

This is a little drift away from the OP, but, a few years ago i glanced up and noticed a workmate idiot fitting a circular saw blade to an angle grinder. After a brief exchange which came close to a fight, which thankfully the works manager heard in his office, the guy concerned was fired. I never like to see anybody lose their job but in this case I think it did us all a favour, everybody knew he was a liability and sooner or later someone was going to be hurt or worse.

I still shudder when I think of the downright dangerous manner that guy used to work. Some people just should not be anywhere near machinery, or cranes, or drills, or saws, or jacks, or winches or anything weighing more than a bag of spuds.

Watch out removing the guard I did this on mine to fit a cutting disc, with the intention of re fitting it once the disc wore down. It caught and my hand slipped, made a nice job of slicing my knuckles, I was glad I had gloves on or it could have been worse. Not something I would ever repeat, plus it ruined a good pair of gloves!

Of course this is something I'd never do

(he says, hiding his left index finger discretely thus concealing the cut sustained using exactly these discs last week....... No, I won't be doing it again! Lesson learned)

You should always wear eye protection too. I was cutting up the kids trampoline with my Makita battery 4.5" grinder. I had the guard on but some sparks of metal went in my eye. I lived with it for 2 weeks before I could take it no more. I went to the Hospital with my partner and I was seen pretty much straight away. They clamped my head in a vice thing and used syringe needles to pick the fragments out of my actual eyeball. The noise of the picking/scraping was horrific.

Needless to say I still don't bother with goggles 6 months on.

^^ That's one thing I always (& I mean always) do and not just grinding jobs either, anything where there's the remotest possiblity of getting anything, particles, debris, fluids in my eyes, it's s/specs on. My dad told me stories of people he knew that had shit removed from their eyes and what it involved when he was younger - that's the reason plus I'd be fucked for work with damaged eyesight. 

Where I worked in the past always had the big cheap goggles that steamed up all the time . As a result people hated wearing them and took risks as a result .

Now I buy my own ppe I use the plastic glasses type ones and wear them for loads of jobs . I know they don't offer quite as much protection but wearing something has to be better than nothing .

And yes I could have bought them when I was working for other people but that goes against the grain

That's what I use, they look like clear versions of those wrap-around sunglasses (the one's people who think they are very cool wear indoors....). Get a pair of decent ones(£7-10) they are comfortable and you'll forget you are wearing them - I often do! 

Safety glasses with the yellow lenses work well for me, they seem to make the world a happier brighter place too. That said never underestimate the sheer cunning of a piece of wood/ metal/ plastic to ricochet off several things before doing a final bounce off the inside of the safety specs and into your damn eye.