Is there any polishing compound etc I can use to improve the appearance of this ?

davie206

Ah, good old French metallic lacquer. That's the problem - once the lacquer goes, the paint suffers. Then you're on a hiding to nothing as you'll never get a paint match. I'd just leave it until you can do something more long term about it. I like the nail varnish technique to stop it spreading though! Top tip.

Lol the advice you get on this never fail to amuse me haha

I considered getting the bonnet resprayed but its finding someone who can do a good match with this paint code that has a pearl in it, thats the problem. Now since the car aint worth much I am now considering getting a £400 external respray at Glasgow commercials lol

A bunch of rattle cans, some sand paper, a bag of hawick balls, a straw hat and a long weekend and you could probably have it looking decent. if you can paint it inside.

Those 400 quid resprays are supposed to be quite good value as they paint the windows and wheels at the same time.

A bunch of rattle cans, some sand paper, a bag of hawick balls, a straw hat and a long weekend and you could probably have it looking decent. if you can paint it inside.

Those 400 quid resprays are supposed to be quite good value as they paint the windows and wheels at the same time.

I wonder if you could get a presentable finish on a panel as large as a bonnet? I've done a few things with rattle cans before, I think a wing was the biggest, that didn't look too bad at all.

I wonder if you could get a presentable finish on a panel as large as a bonnet? I've done a few things with rattle cans before, I think a wing was the biggest, that didn't look too bad at all.

Trigger did i think on a Toyota Starlet i think, will try and find the thread.

Here it is. http://autoshite.com/topic/21997-1998-toyota-starlet-13-sr-sold/

£500 respray. Base and lacquer.

I stripped the car right down, built back up and it was already in good nick, but there are still many opportunities for shit prep, flaking paint, shit in base coat, fish eyes etc.

Still needs a proper flat and polish, but I couldn't be happier.

The red one I recently acquired is having the same treatment, shortly.

20161004_152737_zps9ju5z1mz.jpg

20161004_153124_zpsxnsdkv2p.jpg

(The black one, obvz.)

If you have seen their work and are happy with it, go for it.

The variation is price of paint is incredible.  My parents have a nearly new Jaguar XF and had a small dent repaired and painted.  Â£1100.  I am sure the agent just takes it to a paint shop and marks up their already huge cost.  

I just had an Astra bumper prepared and repainted, with it masked properly to my detailed instructions, £70.  It was a cash job in a cheaper part of the country but I am wondering what they'd charge me for a respray of the whole car is it is just flat and has been polished so many times I am not sure there is enough paint to do it again.

Good luck - if you are skint, the secondhand bonnet route might be good.  I patiently hunted for panels the right colour before.