vw toerag

v8 scania

I came close to buying one a few years ago, we'd looked at it, Mrs N test drove and liked it and I drove to Leicester one Friday night with £8k in my pocket to buy it. Got to the garage ( independent) and the stereo/ sat Nav wouldn't work, the seller was a twat about it so I walked away. Mrs gave me a load of grief and we ended up buying a Freelander 2.

As Tamwoth says they are as space efficient as an XJ-S, the Freelander is actually bigger inside! The 3.0 V6 isn't great on diesel, better than a Disco 3 but worse than a 3.0d X5.

The 5 pot should be indestructible, with its gear driven cam and low power under stressed nature, it's also the only engine you can get as a manual. But, there seem to be a lot with broken engines on EBay .

I'm glad I didn't buy one, but a cheap V10 is sort of on my Wishlist , if only because it's about the only engine type I've never owned.

.....MPG will be the least of your worries.

There was a nice low mileage 2.5 diesel manual near home a couple of years ago. Proper base model with steel springs. I do think they look nice for a modern, neat and pleasingly free of bling.

A bit of internet study saved me!

Have a look at some of the Touareg "self study" documents here http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/index3_eng.php

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/index4_eng.php

That should put you off. Not really any less complex than the Phaeton.

And the V10 - two batteries and a gear driven alternator with it's own two speed automatic gearbox.

A mate at work has the V10 one. He and his wife like it but apparently it's not cheap to run or to maintain it. I'm sure he will change his tune when it breaks.

The same guy was a die hard Discovery man before this but said he'd had enough of rusty floors and chassis and Land Rover (un)reliability! Wait until this thing pops!

They (Toerags) aren't quite as jaw-droppingly ugly as a Cayenne I suppose.

The 3.0 V6 isn't great on diesel, better than a Disco 3 but worse than a 3.0d X5.

You can get older Disco 3s (like mine) in manual - they are better on fuel and lower road tax although there aren't as many around as autos.  They did away with manuals for the Disco 4.

Isn't the main dealer price for a cambelt swap on a V10 about £6K or something stupid?

Seem to recall it's an engine out job as they're located right at the back, or something.

Early Touaregs are very troublesome. 

The 2.5 R5 TDI die quite fast in it and in the T5 Bus. Try to get one with spring supsension, not air suspension. And try to get one with the 3.0 V6 TDI. THey are the least troublesome in a see of problematic vehicles. 

No thats the Touran ,the Tiguan is the baby Touareg which is a Golf based 4x4 but not a Golf Synchro , in fact most Tiguans are 2 wheel drive so just big Gols really but that would be the Golf Plus which is a Golf MPV that only seats 5 otherwise it would be a Touran .

Clear?

Good, you're welcome.

No thats the Touran ,the Tiguan is the baby Touareg which is a Golf based 4x4 but not a Golf Synchro , in fact most Tiguans are 2 wheel drive so just big Gols really but that would be the Golf Plus which is a Golf MPV that only seats 5 otherwise it would be a Touran .

Clear?

Good, you're welcome.

You're quite right! My bad!! They're all shit!