My wife is trying to make me buy a more modern modern

fraser.innes.3

I don't think the company gives a shit as long as it gets me to work. She just thinks the car is scruffy. She has a point. For the last 8 years I have driven it all over the country, so has become a mobile tip, full of empty water bottles, food wrapper, tobacco. It is also the main dog transportation.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Aston update -

Her veto was to do with cost of running the car. A quick check on black circles shows that the tyres are roughly the same price as her BMWðŸ˜. Insurance would be £378.72 fully comp, road fund license £235. Most of the car apart from the bodywork/interior is jag, so servicing should not be too extreme.

In '95 I bought a fantastic '90 Honda civic from a young chap who lived in a very nice part of town. I enquired his reasons for selling, to be informed that he worked for a large bank and they didn't approve of his choice of vehicle, should he be required to meet clients. His replacement was already on the driveway. A slightly older Audi 90 coupe in gleaming red. Wee Honda was faultless with low miles and history. I said to him at the time that I thought the civic was "more him" as the Audi was an older gents car. He agreed, but the company dictated.

How times have changed! Back then i was fanatical. I had some nice fresh up to date motors which I changed frequently. Now i don't give a monkeys! I park my Felicia or some other shite next to the fancy yokes in the work car park, and my co workers snigger and mock. I know secretly they wish they'd the marbles to drive shite!

I don't think the company gives a shit as long as it gets me to work. She just thinks the car is scruffy. She has a point. For the last 8 years I have driven it all over the country, so has become a mobile tip, full of empty water bottles, food wrapper, tobacco. It is also the main dog transportation.

The fact it's a mobile tip would indicate you need a car that can be treated as such, which would be an argument against spending £15k on a replacement.

The question still remains - do YOU wish to change it?

The aston has just been vetoed. I have also discovered that my 2001 megane cabby is also in line for the chop as 'I don't need three cars'.

I need a unit. That would solve the problem.

Hey, if you find something big enough, I'll go halves with you. I've far too many cars and am trying to cut down my collection, then what the wife can't see can't get on her nerves.

Is that barn near yours you told me about still up for offer?

So a valet would sort it out? Or have you lost all interest in the megane and actively treat it like a skip.

I've seen this before. I've been here before. Ex-wife used to complain some of my stuff was embarrassing!

Maybe the wife wants you to find your mojo again. Not being critical here... just saying that your wife might actually care, and want you take a little pride again.

Hey, if you find something big enough, I'll go halves with you. I've far too many cars and am trying to cut down my collection, then what the wife can't see can't get on her nerves.

Is that barn near yours you told me about still up for offer?

Still trying to find the location for you, but I am wanting somewhere to do spannering, not just storage.

Honestly, I get the impression that some people's other halves would prefer it if they had absolutely no possessions at all.

Spot on there. My wife is very understanding. So long as I don't make the house a mess she's happy for me to potter about with my various hobbies.

It's all well and good with the Aston looking at the cost of insurance etc but what about repairs and servicing. I'm all for DIY but something like an Aston would be hell to shift with no History and tyres from Kwik Fit. How much for example would a set of discs and pads fitted be? Or a wheel bearing?

I have serviced all of my own cars for over 30 years. Changing disks and pads will be just as complicated as my voyager. Full set of disks and pads are £270.

Car already has a patchy service history, but history does include replacement of everything under the bonnet, including engine after a fire. Hence the reason for the cheap price with low miles.

Aston update -

Her veto was to do with cost of running the car. A quick check on black circles shows that the tyres are roughly the same price as her BMW. Insurance would be £378.72 fully comp, road fund license £235. Most of the car apart from the bodywork/interior is jag, so servicing should not be too extreme.

Doooo it!

I had a XJ40 (what they is based on innit) bloody easy cars to work on, helps that all the bits are big enough for European hands to fit round.

I like how this has gone from a 'my wife doesn't like my car' to 'I need to buy a £15k Aston'!

I'm glad I never get this issue, either from Amy or work! Amy doesn't care what I drive as long as her car works, and work don't care either (unless it has a massive sign sellotaped the the bonnet to 'HOOK SOME SHITE, WIN SOME PRIZES', I got told off for that one)

I... I don't understand.

So, you've started a new job, and your wife is worried about the impression your car makes at your new job? She's not the one working there, and you're not getting any grief from your new employer about your car, so... what the absolute flying fuck is the problem here?

I love being single when I read topics like this.

I like how this has gone from a 'my wife doesn't like my car' to 'I need to buy a £15k Aston'!

What I actually want to do will get me thrown off of Autoshite.

The aston was just in response to my wife and was never serious.

The MOTed megane cabby sitting on my drive at present is a 1.6 auto. I have been doing some measuring, and pretty much the whole of the mechanicals of a megane 225 will fit without too much hassle.

Looks like I had better renew my pistonheads/RR membership.

I started a new job last week, and my wife is moaning about the impression my car will make. To me it is a modern. 2008 megane 1.5dci, 124k, owned since new.

Her problem is that it's 'well worn'. Exterior wise, it has many battle scars, and the interior smells of Scotsman, children and dog. With the appropriate detritus associated with all 3.

It happily returns over 60mpg, but she is looking at 2015 onwards cars that won't look shit in the car park.

Help required please.

Sorry, don't understand the problem. 2008? That's pretty much brand new by my standards. 

Personally at work, I find it amusing to park my chod right at the front of the building in full view. Especially as last week when it was between an expensive noncy-looking Merc and the probably more pricey, world's most ugly Porsche (the saloon one whatever it's called). 

In a bizarre twist on this, when I had the Ledbury it was admired by actual female varieties for being a nice old car.  Some of them got in it of their own volition.  I was actually pretty shocked, even though the vast majority of my work colleagues at the time were unusually sensible, amusing, decent human beings.  Go Outdoors in Sheffield remains the only call centre/office environment I've ever been in that had real not-orange human beings to work with and I was genuinely sad when I had to leave due to the catastrophic failure that was Bolsover.

In my experience, BL tin are fanny magnets.  Nobody wanted to get in the BX or the Xantia, there's an air of indifference towards the Rover but the Ledbury and the Princess have both had several requests from wimmins wanting to get in.  Not the solution for Fraser though, if Mrs Hyacinth Fraser caught wind he was out buying a fanny magnet I doubt she'd be too pleased about it.  Not for him the pant-wetting excitement of a Maxi or the derring-do of a Metro.  Not even the buttoned-down spartan exterior of the Ambassador (which is clearly hiding kinktastic intentions behind its conservative looks).