dehumidifiers

25v6turbo

Just bought an electric dehumidifier for the garage to keep the Safrane nice and dry,i have used the stand alone round salt type of setup before that collects the damp and drips into a tray underneath,works well but adds up with the refills,so with the new one I have its all fine,but my question is when and how long should I run it for?

Only on damp days?a few hours a day or not even every day,the garage is a very nice  its built partly into my house and has the boiler in there aswell,is about 19 foot long by 9 wide and 11 foot tall.

I have one in my otherwise damp workshop which has a "humidistat" so it only runs when humidity is above a certain level. It is an ancient old thing but still works fine and certainly doesn't cost a lot to run. In a wet winter I get about two gallons of water most weeks.

I recently bought one for my daughter and was surprised that most dehumidifiers now sold did not have humidistats, they were fitted only on the more expensive ones. Her's is on a time switch to just run at night on cheap electricity.

Definitely deal with draughts first, don't forget the boiler needs air though if it isn't a balanced flue type. If your dehumidifier doesn't have a humidistat, useit with a time switch set for a few hours a day and see how much water you get. 

Mine pulls half a gallon to a gallon a day when i first switch it on, about this time of year.  12X12 FT  t&g shed reasonably airtight !   .After a week everything is bone dry ,warm and crispy . It does have a humidistat . Can't remember how much juice it uses  but its  watts not kilowatts  and as already said , its not working all the time..

certainly has a sensor, otherwise the humidity level selection wouldn't make any sense.

Shouldn't there be some kind of through draft in a garage?

I think there are two opposite approaches to this, one is to ignore the humidity and maximise ventilation, the other is to use a dehumidifier which (as mentioned before) necessitates minimising the ventilation.

By the way, if you are concerned about humidity, something like this is useful

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZEHLQOS

though they're not fantastically accurate (+/-5% RH)