1970s imports on wrong plates

sierraman

Registered on a Q in 1996 and declared manufactured then but clearly much older

15564347445_16f07c4428_c.jpg

'1996' Ford Transit by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

Ultra late-reg ex-military Moggie. Demobbed in 1975 but not registered until 1982 for some reason.

15273052907_1e8a316efd_c.jpg

1968 Morris Minor 1000 Traveller by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

• 4 years later...

I presume with VIN plates being earlier to look up these days to find a date of manufacture registrations like this will be less common.

There seemed to be some kind of glitch in the DVLA's system when cars were brought over from the Isle of Man or the Channel Isles and re-registered. 

These could end up on the wrong dated plates for some reason.  I presume the paperwork didn't have a date of manufacture .

Ex-MOD vehicles seemed to also end up on odd plates, especially if they were stored up & never used by the forces.  The last Montegos often ended up on a P reg because of this.

11 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

I presume with VIN plates being earlier to look up these days to find a date of manufacture registrations like this will be less common.

There seemed to be some kind of glitch in the DVLA's system when cars were brought over from the Isle of Man or the Channel Isles and re-registered. 

These could end up on the wrong dated plates for some reason.  I presume the paperwork didn't have a date of manufacture .

Ex-MOD vehicles seemed to also end up on odd plates, especially if they were stored up & never used by the forces.  The last Montegos often ended up on a P reg because of this.

nah its easy to explain

simply before 1983, if you imported or registered a vehicle for the first time, they gave you a current plate, ie one based on the date of first registration, not the date of manufacture

in August 1983, when they switched to prefix plates they introduced the Q plate system for vehicles with indeterminate age of manufacturer, and issued proper age related plates for imports and first registrations based on a vehicles year of manufacture rather than the vehicles date of first registration

so this is why you would see Imports and ex Military vehicles with stupidly late registration madness 

but notice you never see something like an import or military vehicle with prefix late registration madness, as thats when the system changed to stop this fun

(although DVLA cock ups can still happen when plate changes happen ie a vehicle is robbed of its plate, see G147BFC or B150SDC as examples, from the late registration madness thread)

today if you a vehicle that is not on a plate appropriate for the age of the vehicle then you can request a proper age related plate from the DVLA (or just transfer the inappropriate plate off and the DVLA should give you an age related one)

although personally if I had such a vehicle like a 1950's thing on a Y suffix plate, I would keep it like that for the novelty of it :) 

46 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

My first MX5 was originally from Isle of Man. It was a ‘99 with a correct T plate but showing as first registered in 2002 when it first came to the mainland. When it was written off(a good number of years ago now) the insurance company offered a much better than expected settlement. It was my Dad that suggested this was possibly due to the insurance company thinking it was three years newer than it was based on the registration date. 

As mentioned some time ago on another thread somewhere, dad's 1966 RHD Ford Taunus estate was bought nearly new in Germany in 1967 and registered CG854B (British Forces Germany Reg System). We returned to the UK in 1969 where it was given a current UK registration ALM505H. The car it replaced, a 1963 Vauxhall Victor FB estate went out there as NML925 and was then BFG registered BL670B. BFG registrations were sequential according to date of registration in Germany, not year of manufacture.  Our Astral caravan, bought out there in 1967 also had to be BFG registered but did not carry the tow car's number. It was CJ???B until entering the UK with the Taunus and adopting the car's new UK number. Similarly, my 1967 Peugeot moped was CP389B out there, then SKM26H on our return to the UK in '69.  Both cars and the caravan are long gone, though there's a remote chance that the Victor is rotting somewhere in Europe.  The Taunus was last seen in 1972(ish) around RAF Halton when dad sold it because of rust - not very durable, though a nice car in all its V4 column change, 3 door, 6Volt glory. My moped is still in existence and in my garage.

Scan 1.jpeg

8 hours ago, Cheezey said:

My first MX5 was originally from Isle of Man. It was a ‘99 with a correct T plate but showing as first registered in 2002 when it first came to the mainland. When it was written off(a good number of years ago now) the insurance company offered a much better than expected settlement. It was my Dad that suggested this was possibly due to the insurance company thinking it was three years newer than it was based on the registration date. 

My MX5 is like this too (Japanese import). It's on a 91H but declared manufactured 1997... 

53 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

I suggest that as it all gets quite complicated, the people at the DVLA do occasionally make mistakes.  And if they do, they don't generally change anything afterwards.

These weren't mistakes - it was DVLA policy at the time as I understand it; they only changed to awarding age related plates later on. Had I still got the Batavus I could have applied to get a 1967 plate to replace the one it was given when first imported.

My dad and 3 friends went to Holland in I think 1983 to brings some mercs back . They all got W115 models . My dad's was a 240d . When it was registered over here it was allocated Q82WWJ . It only lasted 3 years ,sold due to rot . Weirdly it's still registered to him as guy who bought it never changed log book. 

2 hours ago, lanciamatt said:

It's down as year of manufacture 1983 . Clearly that's wrong it was a 1976 model year 

Screenshot_20201107-101420.png

thats because, for older vehicle records the year of manufacture was generally not recorded

and you could see this on older versions of the DVLA checker the year of manufacturer line would be absent like so

Screenshot 2019-01-12 at 05.57.31.png

and after a vehicle record gets poked again, it would be added to the record

Screenshot 2019-01-29 at 13.10.26.png

however recently the DVLA checker was updated, and it now grabs the year of manufacture from the date of first registration unless its declared otherwise

even if the vehicle record still does not have a date of manufacture recorded, which leads to some errors!

a fun one to note is if you look at a V5, no where does it actually list year of manufacture for the vehicle it only lists the date of first registration (unless the vehicle was specifically "declared manufactured :XXXX")

with the more recent DVLA update, later Q plate vehicles will actually say "Not available" for year of manufacture 

image.thumb.png.3ecba8970bb6738817d24c1882fe107f.png