VOLVO 960 Should I?

mercrocker

Might have a chance at a 960 next week (it isn't actually for sale yet....) 

Being as I change my cars as often as North Korea presidents this could be quite traumatic.   

It is being considered as an addition at present. 

960 3.0 24V auto estate. 

Not bothered about fuel economy or car tax but what kills these (apart from being an old car, obvs.) ?  

I know there is a lot of love on here for them and its one of the few "everyday" cars I can see myself in.

Not bothered about fuel economy or car tax but what kills these (apart from being an old car, obvs.) ?  

I need to sort it out in my head as I fancy a Volvo estate again, but didn't one of the auto gearboxes implode more than average whereas other versions were as reliable as any other auto box.

Dam right you should buy it!

They are great cars, last of the traditional old Volvo's. I think these ones are pretty good tbh, though I prefer the old 4 cylinder 'red block' engines for ultimate bullet proof ness.

The thing that probably kills most of them now is running costs I'd think, nobody appreciates quality and dependability or comfort anymore, it's all about mpg costs.

Apart from HGF and occassional batty gearbox these seem pretty vice free and the six pot is lovely. Watch for rot though as I think all 960s are Swedish built and they seem more prone to it for some reason. Jacking points, front chassis legs, the crossmember under the radiator and under the battery/screenwash tank are all known grotty spots but serious corrosion is rare. Dave2000 has had two so is perhaps the man to ask for more details.

Many pictures please.