Hit a small pothole on my way to work

xkjagnz

Find the hole, take a photo with something in the hole to show the depth, fag packet, phone, your wallet.

Check the legal limit for depth, there is one somewhere.

Submit to local council with photo of damage and cost for new parts and fitting.

Give date, time, street lighting? Witness would be good. Keep copies of everything.

Providing road is maintained by local council you should get a reasonable response.

They deal with it all the time.

Find the hole, take a photo with something in the hole to show the depth, fag packet, phone, your wallet.

Check the legal limit for depth, there is one somewhere.

Submit to local council with photo of damage and cost for new parts and fitting.

Give date, time, street lighting? Witness would be good. Keep copies of everything.

Providing road is maintained by local council you should get a reasonable response.

They deal with it all the time.

Unless it's Doncaster when they keep 'loosing the information' and I've given up after six months of sending them the same info time after time.

i thought that the council would only pay if it was proven that they knew about the pothole being too big in advance.

If they say they didn't know it was there, and you can't prove otherwise, then tough titty.

And even if they were to eventually pay out, it'll be through gritted teeth. I think i'd suck it up myself.

How's the tracking / suspension?

i thought that the council would only pay if it was proven that they knew about the pothole being too big in advance.

If they say they didn't know it was there, and you can't prove otherwise, then tough titty.

And even if they were to eventually pay out, it'll be through gritted teeth. I think i'd suck it up myself.

How's the tracking / suspension?

This.

I bent an alloy hitting a pothole in my MX-5. Took photos and read up about it, discovering I could only claim if the council already knew about it. It was on a quiet country lane and no one had reported it, so they didn't.

I reported it, and they filled it with tarmac within 24 hours. I sucked it up and found a brilliant place that could repair the wheel.

I think the issue is whether the Council has been negligent.

If it can prove it has a regime of regular inspections and that, despite this, the pothole was not discovered, they may have a sound defence to say that they were doing all that they reasonably could under their duty as a highways authority.  If they had known about it, and had failed to address it within a reasonable time, you may indeed have a claim against them.  They may enquire why you didn't try to avoid driving into it.  You may wish to review your position.

You may wish to send me £350 for providing the above advice.  You may also wish to consider what ducks and lawyers have in common.

I got a massive dent a couple of years ago on the A46 in Gloucestershire - spent several days getting up early trying to get a good picture but it was in such a dangerous place by the time I got a decent photo it'd been filled in!

Managed to get the alloy 'unbent' by an alloy wheel place and it's been fine since... apparently older alloys survive better and can be unbent without cracking more successfully - 

Find hole, take photo.etc, get new secondhand tyre and/or wheel, submit claim to council. Move on and don't get stressed by it. If they pay then that was worth your 30 minutes of effort and a 54p stamp but if they don't then that's also an end to the issue.

NO. NO. NO.

1) Report Post hole to council - do no mention accident. You might need a 3rd party to do this.

2) Wait a week - report damage.

Council only has to pay up if they have been notified of the hole and have failed to fix it in a reasonable time.

Ladybird book parody

In about 1989, I think, I was at my pal's garage to look at an early 944 the he had in for repair and to sell for the owner.

My pal's son was one of the apprentice mechanics and we were chatting about the 944. He knew I was considering buying it and he stated - and this is a genuine verbatim quote - one that I shall never forget:-

"It's fuckin'.... jist fuckin'.....aw fuckin'....fucked up tae fuck."

It has become a legendary description for a car that is considered to be a risky prospect.

Obviously I bought it.

Obviously, it was indeed, aw fuckin' fucked up tae fuck.

Has the main face of the wheel seperated from the 'barrel' it looks like it has in the picture - if so just how big was that pot hole!!!!

If its 'just' that crack I has seen worse repaired including big buckles with a guarantee - I would guess they would be x-raying them to check for other stress fractures - not cheap but worthwhile if its a piece of unobtanium.

For info have attached a pic of the "pothole" (more like a shallow grave)

The council are having none of it so went via insurance

Had to get 4 wheels as couldnt get 2 as W8 Passat wheels are an odd size - so found a second hand set an inch bigger for $1900 NZ

As to why I didn't avoid it - first day of work after clocks go forward (it's spring here in NZ) so dark, raining and just over a crest and round a curve so not visible til last second

You can guesstimate the hole size by the cones which are approx 1 meter high!! and the yellow line is the centre of the road

post-17864-0-50792600-1476393568_thumb.jpg

hit a big pot hole a few years ago.the bang as my rear wheel dropped into and shot out of a deepish hole loosened the rear near side wheel nuts enough for me to assume the wheel bearing was bocked.i bought a new assembly (£47) and discovered the loose wheel nuts.grrrr.