Range Rover Roffel - It's All Over Now! Caution: Victim established!

Junkman

Right.

The water pump was royally fubared:

014.jpg

Basically, the impeller had fallen off the shaft:

015.jpg

Note how the new one is exactly the same useless rubbish.

I've never seen such shoddy engineering, but Conelrad assured me the Mini one is even worse, which I would never have deemed possible.

This is what was left of the shaft itself and the bearing:

016.jpg

Anyway, everything is back together now and runnage at normal temperature has resumed.

These are a bit shit to bleed, though. Applied method available on request.

My take on this thread:

Junkman wanted a good low-mileage 4.6 engine and box for his P6 flotilla.

That he gets to use a P38 until the MoT runs out is a bonus.

I was really confused when I saw the start of the thread until I realised his game plan. I'd just have the pug parked nearby if I had a long trip planned.

The trip to the winter Buxton toy fair'll be fun.

Anyway, everything is back together now

These are a bit shit to bleed, though. Applied method available on request.

Follow internet guides, swear at it a bit when they don't work.

Remove various hoses to try and get it to bleed.

Park it at a silly angle.

Give up, take it out and kick fuck out of it.

Worked on the Jag...

I had a 405 that I changed the rad on and could I get the air out of the bastard?

I pissed about for hours squeezing hoses, taking pipes of and pouring water up them, snapping off bled screws left right and center. No heat from the heater whatever I did.

Spent so long on it I was late to meet someone, Jumped in it and drove it like I hated it (I did) and hey presto a warm heater in less than a quarter of a mile.

Today I had the wife's new (to her) golf in getting timing belt and lots of other expensive jobs done. The old water pump had plastic impellers and, when I enquired, so did the new one. Mechanic claimed that plastic was better, as if anything got into the coolant hoses that wasn't supposed to be there, the plastic would break whereas the the metal one would jam and lock the belt up. I don't know how likely that is to happen but he had seen it before, apparently.

Isn't a metal one better because if it breaks and throws the belt off then you'll know about it immediately, rather than a plastic one breaking silently and the first you knowing about it when the temp needle is bent round the end of the gauge and OMGHGF has arrived

Unless it's one that runs off the cam belt I suppose..

Metal ones are better because they tend to come off slowly and grind away at the block ruining it but making lots of noise sometimes as a warning to turn the engine off , before they stop turning, then heat and OMGHGF plus new block required.

Plastic ones are better because they come off hit the block and stop turning instantly with no noise to interrupt your driving, then heat the OMGHGF

Fortunately the above doesn't normally happen at the same time as bearing failure where when you ignore the burning rubber smell of the cambelt wearing away on the non turning water pump pulley you get heat and OMGHGF and if lucky also get cams stop turning OMG Bent Valves as the icing on the cake.

Must be a good argument for electric water pumps.

Range Rovers, yes even the P38, were very expensive hence very exclusive machines. The Landed Gentry, Captains of Industry and Top Level Gangsters drove them , hence they were serviced properly for at least the first 5 or 6 years before they made their way down the automotive totem pole to the level of The Autoshitest.

God help us all when the ,seemingly, millions of the feckers currently on PCPs etc make that fall from grace, if it's taken 20 years for P38's to struggle through the Fortnums image on a Nettos budget phase to the collapsed in a Council House garden final resting place, what hope for this random selection that I spotted in LHR T5 short term ,this morning?post-17414-0-05359900-1476256455_thumb.jpeg

Range Rovers, yes even the P38, were very expensive hence very exclusive machines. The Landed Gentry, Captains of Industry and Top Level Gangsters drove them , hence they were serviced properly for at least the first 5 or 6 years before they made their way down the automotive totem pole to the level of The Autoshitest.

God help us all when the ,seemingly, millions of the feckers currently on PCPs etc make that fall from grace, if it's taken 20 years for P38's to struggle through the Fortnums image on a Nettos budget phase to the collapsed in a Council House garden final resting place, what hope for this random selection that I spotted in LHR T5 short term ,this morning?attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

How the fuck are you supposed to get a recovery truck in there......................

My take on this thread:

Junkman wanted a good low-mileage 4.6 engine and box for his P6 flotilla.

That he gets to use a P38 until the MoT runs out is a bonus.

I was really confused when I saw the start of the thread until I realised his game plan

My theory is the rationale is far more prosaic: perhaps Junkman, having reacted much the same as any of us would if told we regularly had to go to Leicester, has purchased the P38 to act as nothing more than an expensive and complicated excuse for never actually making it there.

Do they wobble and lean over when they go around corners fast?

It's not wobbling, at least not as pronounced as the Classic on oinga oinga springs did.

Lean is very pronounced, though (I bet this will now trigger another avalange of borked suspension pub tales).

In fast left handers, you fear falling out of the window, which would be rougly the equivalent of falling from a tower block.