Free VW Sharan

barefoot

My office has just taken a call from a Mr Boys

"...a lovely gentleman who picked up an old copy of VW Camper at his dentist.

Long story short - his VW Sharan has just failed its MOT and he does not want to just scrap it.  He was wondering whether we knew of anyone (a conversion company) who might want the engine for anything - he doesn't want to sell it, just give it away so someone can make use of it".

That's it, chap appears to be in Blandford Forum in Dorset.

If anyone has the remotest interest, I can pass on a phone number.

Some developments here.

I've calculated the 100 mile recovery on the back of a flatbed is actually cheaper than trying to tax and insure it. Quotes are acceptable so far. As I need a clean licence for my job I'm not chancing driving without tax or insurance down the A30/303. Insufficient kahunas.

Called the gentleman seller to confirm. A lovely chap with the sort of diction only a lifetime of Tory party membership and Thatcher iconography brings. Not to make assumptions though.

He has now requested cash monies to the tune of £300. Now playing for time and considering options.

Some developments here.

I've calculated the 100 mile recovery on the back of a flatbed is actually cheaper than trying to tax and insure it. Quotes are acceptable so far. As I need a clean licence for my job I'm not chancing driving without tax or insurance down the A30/303. Insufficient kahunas.

Called the gentleman seller to confirm. A lovely chap with the sort of diction only a lifetime of Tory party membership and Thatcher iconography brings. Not to make assumptions though.

He has now requested cash monies to the tune of £300. Now playing for time and considering options.

Oh dear, not free then is it?

It's a scrapper, offer him the bridge value at best I say!

Some developments here.

You were bang on with the Tory then!

Aye, well I suspect he's been off and done research. The engines are sought after for VW T4 conversions and go for £200+ on eBay.

The list of advisories suggest it truly is a basket case, but the engine (the bit I want!) is good.

I'm going to let him think a bit while I work out my upper limit, and then we'll do some haggling.

Yet another free car, that's not really free. 

No reason that people should give their cars away for nothing, but why say it if you actually do want money?

I think it's often an underhand way of generating interest in two-a-penny end of life cars that nobody really wants, even for the £200 or so they are worth. Potential thrilled new owner goes along to view said motor, and feels obligated to make all sorts of polite and mega positive comments because they think it's a freebie! When the price is mentioned, they feel too embarrassed to recant, and feel it would be cheeky to protest "You said it was free!"

His car to flog for as much as he can get, tell him to advertise it on Gumtree and when he gets the usual " Can't make it tonite M8" and "Sega Megadrive and £12 best price" texts, he'll have pause for thought!

I'm going to let him think a bit while I work out my upper limit, and then we'll do some haggling.

The only 'haggling' you need to consider is how many items you suggests he inserts up his Marmite motorway. I genuinely wouldn't even buy that car for a fiver.