Change to a camper?

Philyc

Thanks. I know vw have a higher value placed because of the badge hence the reason for this thread and getting opinions.

The Toyota hi-ace looks great. Big enough but still small and seemingly better value. I'll see what the wife thinks then try and find one to look at and see in the flesh before hunting for a purchase

We rented a Hiace camper to drive New Zealand. It was ace, much to recommend them as base vehicle for a camper. 

It inspired us to buy one of our own & we got a Vanette off Danblez of this very parish. It was fun, but far too cramped to live in. So now we've got a Max & Paddy Talbot. Its too big to park anywhere. 

This post was brought to you by the words "probably no use whatsoever". 

A good base vehicle to start with would be an ex wheelchair converted van, windows will be in, usually lined out, carpeted and trimmed nicely, best of all is the Unwin tracks on the floor, primarily there for lashing down wheelchairs but also take rather over-engineered quick release passenger seats with built in belts that can mount anywhere. Then there's the ramp at the back so you can do your own 'The Italian Job' with mobility scooters.

For each of those Unwin tracks there will be a large length of steel box section bolted to it under the floor,adding quite a bit of weight before you start putting stuff in.

If it's a good/later conversion it could even be the the frame of the whole floor,making removal a big problem...

It's the heat exchangers.

OEM versions have a mass of aluminium fins, the later replacement versions have about two.

341187_zps899ccd8e.jpg

After years of pissing about with crappy H/Es I found a nice old pair and fitted those instead. The difference is astonishing. When they eventually rot out, (the central pipe is aluminium with mild steel ends & a mild steel jacket), I shall take them to PD Gough or similar and have them re-built in stainless.

When camped up with electric hook up, we have the smallest oil filled radiator on the planet.

Thanks for this - apologies for thread hijack

We have run a transit for 9 years as a race van.

An half decent one would cost all of your available cash and probably have around 100,000 on the clock.

Someone has bought one on here recently but I can't find it at the mo.

They are very nice to drive, and can be very good or a PIA.

DMF problems, rust problems, size of the thing.

Ours had a new flywheel and clutch before we bought it and we have done 90,000 in it so any time now!

There are some decent conversions about, but the better they are the more they cost.

me - 95,000 miles - 5yo, six seat crew van LWB full hi-top - was £7450! There's bugger all in decent nick when they get to shite prices (10yrs+ old, 250000 miles or with a list of faults longer than War & Peace - is the norm). I reckon the extra row of seats and windows cost me £2000 over the cost of a plain LWB van.

I've had campers and motorhomes - from bedford CA to Mercedes 416cdi Rimor 747 and even a Land Rover dormobile. The Trannie is decent (mine is a 140T350 - 140bhp and 3.5 ton) but you can't easily drive it economically. Its 25-28mpg all day long at 60-90mph. If  was buying a van though, the Transit is best for ease of parts, etc. High top is essential. Try putting on a pair of trousers in a confined space when you cannot stand up and then you will never buy a low roof van.

The Transit is a great place to be - and I genuinely love driving it, 75mph (on the speedo) is a happy cruising speed and the height is brill for looking over walls into gardens.  There's still bucket loads of space in the back and the bulkhead can be totally removed or just the top half removed (if a factory built conversion). The proper crew cab version has a full width seat for three that can be used at a push as a single bed! With an awning, kids could easily be accommodated in summer with a bed frame made in the rear, with space below for storage and enough space for a cooker on one side and shelves, cabinet on the other (or even a small toilet area). Oh, no need for blinds or curtains, simply buy some internal thermal screens.